PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about car seats

Tired
24-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Help, please.

got a boy who is 25 months. He is tall and heavy, he weighs 14.5 kg.

His stage 1 car seat is too small, the straps don't fit properly over his shoulders.
However, next size up is from 15 kg and age 4 up.

Do you think he could go in it even though he is only 2?
Would his body be mature enough for a stage 2 which only uses the cars seat belt and no 5 point harness?
I really dont know what to do, but there must be other tall children around, what do they do?

mummyroysof3
24-09-2009, 05:21 PM
i dont think id use one without a harness on a 2 year old sorry, have you looked everywhere possible for a suitable one?

charlotte x

MissTinkerbell
24-09-2009, 05:26 PM
You can get Stage 2 car seats that have 5 point harnesses. Our twins have a Nania car seat each which is designed from 9 months to 5 years using the 5 point harness and from 4 years just using the seat belt. - got them from Kiddicare

We also have a Britax stage 2 seat which can be used from 9 months with the 5 point harness and then from 4 years with a seat belt.

Eventually both back supports come off and they can be removed and become booster seats.

Alibali
24-09-2009, 06:08 PM
I got this one and it is really good for taller children, my 4 yo uses it with the harness and they are high enough up.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_65_10751_-1_14568_91444_10001_14568

mushpea
24-09-2009, 06:34 PM
i had a very chunky 2ryold who was only just two but was too heavy for the 1st stage car seat, the advice i was given was to put him in the booster with a back on with the adult belt because he was to big and heavy for the straps. you need to go with what his weight is not his age, if he is to heavy for the straps then they wont hold him in an accident so therefore he needs to go on the adult belt. my booster has one of those bits that you clip the adult belt in to to keep it in the correct postion. i did find that i had to have the belt tight across him so he kept his arm in the righ place though.

janiefear
24-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Most of the stage 2 seats go up to 18kg with a 5 point harness - have done quite a bit of research on this after seeing some YouTube vids about the importance of 5 point harnesses.

Please don't put a 2 year old in a booster seat unless you really have no choice at all (they are above 18kg). I've been discussing this with one of my mum's today as her 2 1/2 year old is 17kg at the moment. I will be keeping my eye on his weight from now. Would hate to put him in a seat that wasn't suitable for him.

The Juggler
24-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Most of the stage 2 seats go up to 18kg with a 5 point harness - have done quite a bit of research on this after seeing some YouTube vids about the importance of 5 point harnesses.

Please don't put a 2 year old in a booster seat unless you really have no choice at all (they are above 18kg). I've been discussing this with one of my mum's today as her 2 1/2 year old is 17kg at the moment. I will be keeping my eye on his weight from now. Would hate to put him in a seat that wasn't suitable for him.

so would a booster with a five point harness do the same job. my big two year old looks far too big for those 'baby seats' even though they say up to four years of age.

kingdom
24-09-2009, 08:25 PM
You have set me off into a total fluster now. I have just been on the halfords site and there is a bit where you tell them what car you have got and they say which car seat fits it. Why is it always the most expensive seat that is the only one that fits your car. Does everyone get the seats fitted, I suppose not really because Argos dont do car fitting and they must sell a lot of seats.:panic:

janiefear
25-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Apparantly it's the 5 point harness that's important (rather than the adult belt) so a booster seat with an integral harness would be fine - am going to have to invest myself soon too.

funtoplay
25-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I got this one and it is really good for taller children, my 4 yo uses it with the harness and they are high enough up.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_65_10751_-1_14568_91444_10001_14568

Hi I have this car seat too. I think its fab!!! 9 months - 11 years!!!!

I only had a it a week and needed to take it apart to use as booster only. Well we lost the buckle bit. Emailed kiddicare and we had a complimentary one sent within 4 days...how fabs that!!!!

Julia

Alibali
25-09-2009, 07:39 PM

I only had a it a week and needed to take it apart to use as booster only. Well we lost the buckle bit. Emailed kiddicare and we had a complimentary one sent within 4 days...how fabs that!!!!

Julia

That is fab, and good to know:)

The Juggler
25-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Julia

I took my harness off to use for my 7 year old and it was a right pain. decided if she needs to use it again will just put a cushion behind her back s 5 point harness doesn't dig in and then use adult belt on her!

Tired
26-09-2009, 11:13 AM
I got the Nania group 1,2,3 seat.
i still don't know if the 5 point harness will fit him, but ill have to wait till Wednesday to find out!