PDA

View Full Version : School run tips

Mrs.L.C
24-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi all. I was just wondering how everyone manages all their children whilst on the school run?

I used to live pretty much round the corner from the school and no main roads to cross so it wasnt so much of an issue letting the children walk in front of me etc. Howevre now we have moved the walk is abit further with 1 busy road to cross and walking along another road which can get busy and crossing several small roads.

So far its not been to bad but today one child started being silly so some of the others decided to be silly aswell making it quite a stressfull walk back from school, so I am now thinking of other ideas rather than hoping all children will walk back sensibly

moogster1a
24-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Tell the older ones that if they can't walk properly, they'll be in lead reins. I threatened a 5 year old with this for a couple of days, and on the third day used them!! never had a problem since!!

Tired
24-09-2009, 03:57 PM
what age are the children?

Mrs.L.C
24-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Tell the older ones that if they can't walk properly, they'll be in lead reins. I threatened a 5 year old with this for a couple of days, and on the third day used them!! never had a problem since!!

Thats what I told them today :laughing:

today I had 1 year old in buggy 3, 6, 8, 9x2, & 11 yr old. The 8yr old started then so did the 3 year old then 1 of the 9 yr olds. the 3 year old ended up holding buggy and crying the rest of the way home and we all had a chat when we got home.

Does any1 use a long skipping rope that they all have to hold on to? Did think about this but thought some might be too old for it but then I guess I could use it if they dont listen :rolleyes:

Saranotts
24-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Mine all have to walk in pairs and I have the eldest at the front going down to the youngest closest to me or holding on to the pushchair. If anyone misbehaves then they have to come and walk next to me, no matter what their age (this is enough of a threat to get even the eldest of them to behave)! We also take it in turns to be in charge of the crossing and reciting the green cross code, which they enjoy and of course they can only do that if they are behaving.

Sara

mum2two
24-09-2009, 05:10 PM
I've threatened with reigns too! They really don't like the thought of it, and believe me I would to prove a point to them!

x

Nikki's stars
24-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I make the walk home a competition! it works particularly well for boys who are sooo competitive (and some girls too:) ) I take the two silliest children (who usually set the tone) and ask them to see if they can hold onto the buggy all the way home - the one who holds on until right up to my front door gets a prize (choc button/jaffa cake). :laughing: I have a triple buggy so theres plenty of holding on spaces for the littlies too! :jump for joy:
It works for me at the moment - good luck to you! It can be a very stressful time of the evening!

Nikki xxx

Rubybubbles
24-09-2009, 05:46 PM
I have

1- 1 yr old
1 - 2 yr old
3 - 5 yr olds
1 - 8yr old
1 - 9yr old

The one and two yr old in pushchair

And the rest walk, nicely together. We have a chocolate Friday, so if they have walked nicely all week thats the treat!

We always go over walking rules before we leave the house, and as we are about to set off from school:thumbsup:

Lovely big RA too;)

We walk 1.5 mile to school, next to a main road:( so no messing AT ALL:thumbsup:

mumx3
24-09-2009, 06:11 PM
if you google "walking rope" there are some products which might be helpful,.

sounds like your talking to them may have helped anyway.

mushpea
24-09-2009, 06:30 PM
i have
10 month old
2yrold
3yrold
5yrold
6yrold
8yrold
10yrold

when they first start we all have a big road saftey chat and lesson b4 we leave and on the way to school and continue this daily. mine are allowed points to run to, same points every day so they all know how far they can go, we have points like lamposts, certain trees , purple tree!! it has flowers in the spring but we still call it the purple tree even though its now loosing its leaves !!, if they mess about or go past the points before i tell them 'go' then they have to hold the buggy, i have had my 8yrold holding the buggy cause he wouldnt listen!
for me its a matter of knowing the children and how they are likely to behave, i hate having a new starter walking cause you cant predict them aswell i think.

Mrs.L.C
24-09-2009, 06:31 PM
if you google "walking rope" there are some products which might be helpful,.

sounds like your talking to them may have helped anyway.

Walking rope -thats what I was trying to think of - cheers

Im probably worrying too much as I have been so used to not having to go near busy roads with more than 3 children but its just not worth the risk so thankyou to all who have given suggestions - we will certainly be trying some if the talk hasnt worked

uf353432
24-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I made extra straps for my phil and teds in bright colours - shocking pink, aqua blue, bright orange and of course the black one it comes with. The Kids desperately want to hold their favourite coloured strap and I don't have any problems and most of my walk is on roads with one very busy road crossing.

I always discuss expectations of the school walk from the first time we walk and we reinforce it every day. If someone runs off - I simply stop and noone moves until the child has returned to the pushchair.

The older ones know that they have to set an example and quite often I will ask them to hold the hand of a younger child - they then feel grown up and more likely to be good walking buddies.

Daftbat
24-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I am just really firm from the start. I often bring home 9 or 10 children from school of varying ages and the younger ones hold onto the pushchair and the older ones walk sensibly or they get to walk next to me!

When we get to the busy road with a pelican crossing we stop in advance of it and i organise bigger ones to hold hands of younger school ages children and insist on no talking as we cross so that they listen to me.

I know i am a bit firm about this but i have never had any problems as a result and i get complimented about how under control the children are even though my nickname with the locals at school is "the pied piper!"

The Juggler
24-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I am just really firm from the start. I often bring home 9 or 10 children from school of varying ages and the younger ones hold onto the pushchair and the older ones walk sensibly or they get to walk next to me!

When we get to the busy road with a pelican crossing we stop in advance of it and i organise bigger ones to hold hands of younger school ages children and insist on no talking as we cross so that they listen to me.

I know i am a bit firm about this but i have never had any problems as a result and i get complimented about how under control the children are even though my nickname with the locals at school is "the pied piper!"

ditto. even get the pied piper bit sometimes too!

manjay
24-09-2009, 08:19 PM
ditto. even get the pied piper bit sometimes too!

and me:D I usually have 9 children and have no problems. the only time I am more wary is when we have a new starter or a new routine like you have with a new route. For some reason mine all have an obsession with unlocking the front door:rolleyes: Best behaved gets to do it

estrelas
24-09-2009, 08:34 PM

Me too,
i find now, the onesw who have been with me since I started will stop in exactly the same spot every day and they teach the knew ones

Lily Grace
24-09-2009, 08:39 PM
If they have all walked nicely on school run one child gets to choose a treat on Friday e.g chocolate. It seems to be the only way to get all of them to walk or be nice to each other!!

twiggy
25-09-2009, 11:41 AM
I make a point of taking reins and showing them to the children. The older children then behave as they don't want to look silly wearing them. I have never has to use them just the threat works.