PDA

View Full Version : First enquiry help

becki21
24-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Hi I want a bit of advice please, I have finally had my first enquiry and have the parents coming tomorrow, it is for 9 month old twins (I know I can only have one under 1 but I have applied for a variation). I just want to know really how I should structure the visit as I dont want to bombared them, but also dont want them leaving without information. I have made a leaflet with all my basic information, should I give them any thing else? They said they are new to this so I just want to make sure I get it right,
Any advice would be greatly received
Thanks

Tired
24-09-2009, 01:33 PM
I usually tell them what to expect from any childminder, eg that we go out, have other children of varing ages etc.
Then I give them a brief glance at the paperwork that they will see often, such as the register and accident book. I tell them not to worry about remebering it all, Im just trying to give them an overview of what they will see at any childminders.

Then I talk about my experience and my family, my routines, etc. I give them copies of the policies to take home to read, cos they are to detailed to read then and there.

I talk about fees and availability.

If they want to use me, I ask them to come back to do contracts, and bring the policies, signed, with them.

I give them loads of information to take away, my booklet, leaflets about paying for childcare, my business card, my ofsted report, policies, copy of the contract (with COPY written all across the front.)

Sounds like loads, but usually only takes 15 mins.

The rest of the time is playing with their children and asking them questions about the child and the family. I think showing an interest in the child is more important than getting all your info across, parents want to know that you are interested in their child as much as they are.

miffy
24-09-2009, 02:31 PM
The rest of the time is playing with their children and asking them questions about the child and the family. I think showing an interest in the child is more important than getting all your info across, parents want to know that you are interested in their child as much as they are.

I agree with this - parents are looking for how you get on with their children.

Be yourself and relax - show them any information you have about your service (I don't give them anything to take away on the first visit other than a brief overview about me and a price list).

I always go through with them exactly what care they are needing - days, times, year round, term time only just so I'm sure I can do it.

Find out what they know about childminders and now I make sure I tell them that we have to deliver the eyfs just like nurseries.

Answer any questions they have. Show them round - only the areas I use for minding. Ask if they have seen or are seeing anyone else and make sure that they know I can't hold a place for them without a deposit.

Best of luck I'm sure you'll be fine

Miffy xx

becki21
24-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you for all this information it is really helpful. Just another question, the parents dont need me to have them until January so, should I take a deposit or retainer?
Thanks

miffy
24-09-2009, 02:51 PM
According to the NCMA.................

A retainer fee is charged when a childminding place is being reserved for a particular child if this stops you from offering the place to another child who may take it immediately, meaning you lose potential income. It is reasonable to charge the parents part of the nominal fee for each week the place is kept.

As you will have to keep 2 places for at least 3 months then I would definitely charge a retainer - how much is up to you. But you should only charge a retainer when the place is available (not if you are ill or on holiday) and you have to bear in mind that parents are entitled to use that place if they are paying a retainer so all this should be agreed and written into the contract.

You shouldn't make any formal arrangements until you know whether Ofsted will grant your variation

Miffy xx

becki21
24-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks Miffy, I was considering the retainer but I will not have them full time only one day a week, so that is when I thought a deposit is better, I would get £64 for the both of them for that day so based on that do you think I should charge a retainer and if so what would you charge
Thanks

miffy
24-09-2009, 03:06 PM
It's up to you - you can charge a deposit if you wish. In that case I'd charge a month's fees, non-returnable if the places weren't taken up.

Although it's only one day a week it might still stop you taking on other children so if you decide to go with a retainer then half fee per week is what most childminder's charge.

It depends what you're happy with and how much you want the work.

Miffy xx

becki21
24-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Thank you, that really helps.
Could I just ask one more thing, what do I do when one needs changing or if one needs to go to sleep, or even if I need the toilet, can I just leave the other one or both in the playroom (The playroom is secure)