View Full Version : National insurance.

27-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi. Just done a more upto date check on my tax for this year. It looks like i have to pay both tax and NI as im 2,500 over the limit. Well i pay some NI monthly is this the same thing? You cant put NI down in you expense can you?

Off to look at the tax list and see wht else i havent added. I didnt plan on doing both jobs for the whole year.

Thanks Louise

27-02-2008, 07:39 PM
No sorry you cannot claim for your national ins!

Avril x

27-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Didnt think so.
I have been trying to find out about me having to pay more NI at end of year. Now one site i found said that i take of what NI2 i have paid and what is left is the NI4 i have to pay. I dont want to pay tax i want to use that money to get rid off my horrible carpet in the bathroom and stairs.

Heaven Scent
27-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Best read another thread where Sarahnev gives lots of advice and keeps reminding us that we don't need receipts for items under £10 it was a very interesting thread and lots of people added lots of advice.


27-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I think you can put NI down on your expenditure lists. I asked this before and I'm sure that that was the outcome. I do.

I'll look for the link.

27-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Here it is


27-02-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't think you can put your NI contibutions as expenses for tax purposes


03-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I used to put down NI as an expense, but found this was apparently wrong. If I've understood it right -

If you have an assistant you can put down their tax & NI as this is considered an expense of the business - because you wouldn't have this bill if you weren't employing someone to support your childminding business. Its a direct cost of the business.

But, your own tax & NI are considered your personal expenses, in the same category as things like your mortgage, grocery bill, clothes etc. So not allowed as a business expense as not directly an expense of childminding - you would have to pay tax & NI whatever job you do.

03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
According to my hubby's accountant you cannot claim your quarterly class 2 NI payments as an expense.

In with your tax bill is your top-up Class 4 NI bill.

As I understand it your quarterly bill is the NI due on your earnings upto your allowance of 5k ish.

If your profit is over 5k, as you say, then you have to pay topup NI on the extra profit ( 2.5k in your case Louise ). This is why this bill is in with your tax bill.

Hope this makes sense.

Work on your expenses. Your forum friends are invaluable in that department :clapping:

Good luck

Sandy x

03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Gosh, just reminded me I really need to pay my NI bill!