PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think this is?

clorogue
23-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Apparently courses having to be cancelled in our area because there isn't enough uptake - eg risk assessments etc. We were reminded that we need these to get a good grade and that any feed back would be appreciated as to why we think the places are not being taken up. I just wondered what your initial thoughts were on this? Thanks !

miffy
23-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Everyone's fed up of paperwork, paperwork and yet more paperwork?

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
23-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Everyone is getting fantastic advice from the forum so not using their free family time for courses?! ;)

We have had dates changed too, for other courses, so 2 dates were joined as not enough minders signed up for each date.

Mollymop
23-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Because everyone is very good and already doing Risk assesments!!!!:clapping:

sarah707
23-09-2009, 08:44 PM
that's happening round here as well.

I think a lot of people are simply fed up and demoralised :(

clorogue
23-09-2009, 08:50 PM
that's happening round here as well.

I think a lot of people are simply fed up and demoralised :(

I think you have hit the nail on the head Sarah - TOTALLY! Firstly I must say the forum is fantastic, but there is only so much you can physically do! Plus how much more money to you have to fork out all the time without thinking - hang on a minute - is this worth it. I know this debate could go on and on, but yes I think people are totally fed up with it. There is not one childminder that I know who is enthusiastic about the job anymore, as a matter of fact it is a topic of conversation because everyone is so low! You think you have reached the goal and achieved it and then more and more and more things keep coming along!

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
23-09-2009, 08:51 PM
I have heard around here that they are going to stop doing courses cheaply we normally pay £12 which I don't mind but they said that is going to stop:eek: so not sure what they are going to cost.

Winnie
23-09-2009, 08:51 PM
It also be that as budgets are being squeezed courses are being cut- especially if they are not full. Or childminders are doing it for themselves and sharing information in forums :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
23-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Well we are lucky here we dont have to pay for our training and there is still poor take up on some of the courses. There was 6 on emotional and social needs - about 7 on risk assessments.

Probably one of the few but I love my training was disappointed about how many courses were in the day and have complained about it.

clorogue
23-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Well we are lucky here we dont have to pay for our training and there is still poor take up on some of the courses. There was 6 on emotional and social needs - about 7 on risk assessments.

Probably one of the few but I love my training was disappointed about how many courses were in the day and have complained about it.

We have to pay between 10 and 15 pounds a time, also time is my factor trying to fit it all in and keep up to date with the paperwork. Saying that I do love learning, it is everything together that is so hard.

Blackhorse
23-09-2009, 09:05 PM
here the courses are so full you cant get on them..

when you get a letter for a course by the time it comes through your door the phones are so busy as people phone up to get on the course...and there is no point even attempting to send the return slip as by the time you post it the course is full for sure...

my royal mail man changed the way he is doing things and instead of bringing my mail in the morning it now can be as late as 3pm...so my chances to get to go on a course a very slim at the moment..

child protection I have already missed twice because of it...:(

youarewhatyoueat
23-09-2009, 11:04 PM
I've been the only childminder on some of my courses the rest being from nurseries, but on every one the spare seats were from cm's that hadn't turned up and also hadn't cancelled.These were during the week, on the saturday courses it was the same, people just not turning up, its embarrassing I find myself apologising for people that I don't know!
The saturday training has now been cancelled so thanks to those cm's that have bad manners!

CherryBlossom
24-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I think for some people they just don't have the time.

I am the only one on my course without children, and I plan to do as many courses as possible! I
t won't be so easy for the other new minders though as once mindees have gone home they still have their own children to look after.

I think even for me it will be difficult working long hours, doing all the housework, all the paperwork and courses at same time.

Also, on my course there were 20 of us but now only 6.
Out of us 3 are on maternity leave, and have admitted they are only doing this so they don't have to go back to work.
They just aren't interested in doing any paperwork and the don't even enjoy course and are always moaning.

They are all lovely women don't get me wrong, but for me I chose this a career.
For some of them it's just convenient. So I think they are just trying to get through registration with no plans of doing any further training.

x

Alibali
24-09-2009, 03:41 PM
here the courses are so full you cant get on them..

when you get a letter for a course by the time it comes through your door the phones are so busy as people phone up to get on the course...and there is no point even attempting to send the return slip as by the time you post it the course is full for sure...

my royal mail man changed the way he is doing things and instead of bringing my mail in the morning it now can be as late as 3pm...so my chances to get to go on a course a very slim at the moment..

child protection I have already missed twice because of it...:(

I was going to say the same! Really annoying when the course is full before your postie has even been:(