PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question?

daytimedolly
23-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Hiya,
I am a newbie childminder, still waiting for registration. Ive passed the Ofsted inspection but now waiting for paperwork from abroad where I used to live.

I seem to have been waiting forever and some days I dont feel like I will ever work :-( but............... just asking all you experienced ladies.

Are there any things that I could be doing now that I will thank myself for when starting childminding? Seems a shame to just sit and wait and although I dont have a huge amount of time on my hands I could be doing something.

Thanks

huggableshelly
23-09-2009, 10:49 AM
get familiar with EYFS, keep scouting the forum as there is so much here to use/learn from.

risk asssessments if you havent already done them.

menus what food are you offering, how will you manage cooking time with children in your care (I stopped cooking hot meals and was unable to manage playing and cooking).

check out local groups, where you would like to take children too, toddler groups, library story time etc.

I hoep that gives you a little starter whilst waiting xxx

MarpleJollytots
23-09-2009, 12:54 PM
We are pre reg also.I spend alot of time on here reading and writing notes on things that will be usefull to put into practice in my setting.I sort all my admin,setting up files and paperwork,planning best ways to do observations and activity plans.Ive spent alot of time working out fees and charges and i have also set up 'Welcome packs' with all the information in that a parent may need. Yesterday me and Mike started creating our website(very stressfull !!!)Ive made sure i read the EYFS reg and sometimes take it to bed with me !!!!Rang Ofstead and they think another 6-8 weeks so am thinking of offering to help out at my sons school in Nursery or Reception so get some hands on exp working with EYFS,will also help with activity ideas,you will get to meet parents and the teacher you are helping could write you a ref to show Mindees parents. Also check out prices of local before and after school clubs to c if you can compete with their prices,private nurserys etc.Plan how you are going to advertise,write a list of where you are going to put up posters or drop flyers.This forum has been a HUGE help.Hope it goes well for you.Let us all know xxxxxx:)