PDA

View Full Version : story sacks

Helen79
23-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm thinking about making some stories sacks so need some inspiration for what stories I can do?

I've got so many soft toys in the loft, I though I'd have a sort out & see what I can use to make up some story sacks.

Which stories do you use for your sacks & which are the favourites?

Polly2
23-09-2009, 09:33 AM
I have the gruffalo, the hungry caterpillar and harry and his bucket full of dinosuars

So far the kids like the dinosaurs one the best :)

Louise_Oaktree
23-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone have some ideas for bags to use for story sacks? Thinking of drawstring bags on hooks but not entirely accessible and will all look similar, also not sure where to get these from...also needs to be as inexpensive as poss :D .

youarewhatyoueat
23-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I've done the hungry caterpiller with hard back book, set of mini books, soft hungry caterpiller, tray, laminated pictures, sticker book and game. The owl babies is a good one, have you tried your local toy library ours hires them out.

manjay
23-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Our favourite at the moment is Aliens love Underpants:rolleyes: I have the book, some aliens from McDonalds, space ship, alien lotto game(that I made) and I made a little washing line with cut outs of all the undies pegged to it. I use plain drawstring bags and then find a relevant (non copyright) picture on Google, print it onto photo transfer paper and iron on the front of the bag.

Mine also like the Nursery Rhyme bag. We have a prop for each rhyme and the children take it in turns to pick one out

sarah707
23-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Thank you for all the inspiration!

Louise - I got my bags on Ebay :D

twinkle3005
23-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I've done traditional stories like the 3 little pigs, Little Red Riding Hood and Goldilocks and the 3 bears.

for the 3 little pigs I've put piggy masks in so the children can participate in the story, little laminated clip arts of houses, straw, bricks and wood, we have a cuddly wolf in there too. I've put in some material so the kids can make their own den.

For the 3 bears I've put in a small doll and three teddy bears, clip art pictures, some porrage oats. I've also printed out pictures of different kinds of bears which leads us to disscusions about where the bears come from, do they live in a hot country or cold country etc. The kids love them and don't get bored as the differnt things I've put in lead to other activities and talks.

Oh and I got cloth bags from Hobby Craft and used fabric paints to decoarate them, they were in the sale for 99p each.

angiemog
23-09-2009, 07:34 PM
I have a few that I'm in the process of making. I have Handas Surprise and have printed/laminated the animals from Sparkle Box. I have put them on to lolly sticks. I have The very hungry caterpillar. I have a caterpillar and butterfly beanie and a pairs game I found and printed from the internet. I have Peace at Last with 3 bears. I also have Dear Zoo with all the animals. I'm just starting with a book and maybe a soft toy and will add to them as and when I find things.
If you go to storysack.com it will give you some ideas of what books to use and things to put in them. There are over 50 listed I think.
They are far too expensive to buy from there but great ideas. I also seen some cds for sale on ebay that have lots of resources for you to print at home. As for bags I've collected a few from friend who gets the free bags from magazines. I also have a pair of cream curtains that I don't need I'm going to machine (well my friend is) into bags. Good Luck. I love Story sacks x

helenlc
23-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Yello Moon &/or Baker Ross usually do packs of plain draw string bags or Ebay have them also. You can then iron your picture on using the t-shirt printer paper mentioned before.

I bought some calico material from my local sewing shop and sewed mine. Only got as far as the bags though!!:blush: Will add it to my ever extending To Do List!!!:eek:

I have some bits to do Hungry Caterpillar - I have the book, floor puzzle and going to do some sequencing cards and laminate them.

sdean
23-09-2009, 07:54 PM
I bought cotton drawstring bags on ebay and then printed pictures onto to tshirt transfer paper and ironed them on - I have made loads - I have some on pegs and the others in a tub and rotate them, I have story sacks, song sack, musical instrument sacks. I use them for focus things like I have one for mini beasts, one that I use for letter of the week which I fill with things that start with that letter ie D - dinosaur, dog, digger - they seem to use that a lot. We have a nursery rhyme sack with finger puppets for the rhymes.

Once you have the bags you will make loads - I am always thinking of something else - I had the after school children sorting books and soft toys and asked them to see what they thought we could make out of what we had before buying - they loved it and then once I had ironed the pictures on they filled them!
Sorry - gone on a bit there havent I :laughing:

her8y
01-10-2009, 12:36 PM
OK I have my bags, transfer paper and ideas BUT where do you get your pics from ??? Do they need to be copyright free?????????

Chell
01-10-2009, 08:33 PM
There are some story sack (http://www.babysigningstore.co.uk/Story-sacks.php?osCsid=4ccbdc5de0521cb8a3bd421dad4d6450) ideas on my site and I also stock drawstring bags.

First Steps
01-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi. I have made story sacks from every story and evn rhymes. My kids love them. E bay is very good even for ideas. Thats where i got mine. I also use charity shops for books and toys.

Hope this helps :)

Sally G
02-10-2009, 06:45 AM
Sorry to hijack your thread but does anyone have some ideas for bags to use for story sacks? Thinking of drawstring bags on hooks but not entirely accessible and will all look similar, also not sure where to get these from...also needs to be as inexpensive as poss :D .

Reuseable cloth bags from coop, tesco etc ??:idea: