PDA

View Full Version : Advice re conjunctivitus

Chimps Childminding
27-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Hi everyone, after a bit of advice please

Had parent ring me tonight to say daughter (aged nearly 2) has conjunctivitus, has been to doctor who has presecibed drops and has told parent to keep her at home tomorrow but she should be fine to come to me on Friday. Have got 4 year old and 2 year old on Friday, not sure what to do! any advice please , i thought you had to keep the children off if they had it but it says in my book that its ok once treatment has started - just worried what the other parents might think! :panic:

sarah707
27-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Other parents aren't going to like it one bit (and it would be painful if you get it too!) But there isn't an exclusion period for conjunctivitis (any more, there did used to be), so you are stuck unless you've got it specifically written into a policy that the parent has read and signed. Even then you've no basis in medical 'rightness' iykwim.

Take all precautions - wash hands often, try and keep child's hands from going from eyes to shared toys, use separate flannels etc

This is the current official exclusion list :D

http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/topics_az/schools/schools_guidelines_2006.pdf

miffy
27-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I would not accept a child into my setting with conjunctivitis - it is spread very easily even with very stringent hygiene practices

This argument has done the rounds before but as far as I'm concerned it's my home and therefore my rules.

Miffy xx

Twinkles
27-02-2008, 06:42 PM
That's useful thank you Sarah.

About the convuntivitus lo will probably be ok by Friday unless it was a really severe attack. The drops work wonders. Having said that I would echo what Sarah said about being extra scrupulous about hygiene.

littletreasures
27-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm afraid as Sarah said no exclusion on this. My mindees had it, the parents did keep them off for a couple of days and sent them back when the gunk had gone, the eyes were still red though.

Just keep washing hands.

Jules

Spangles
27-02-2008, 06:44 PM
I would ask the parent to keep the child away until the eyes have stopped weeping this is when the contamination period is over although medication can still be taken.

My son had very bad conjunctivitis a year ago and I would like to try and avoid that happening again if at all possible. When he had it I didn't take him anywhere until it had stopped being contagious because I know how easily it spreads and how awful it was for him.

I have this written in my policies.

Other than that Sarah's advice is all you can do.

Chimps Childminding
27-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks all!!!! mum is going to ring me tomorrow to let me know how lo is, so i might suggest she keep her off till Monday just to be on the safe side!!!!

Pipsqueak
27-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Eldest mindee (age 10) announced tonite at tea time that he thinks the conjunctivitis he had in his left eye has now spread to his right eye.
I said what conjunctivitis and he said that he had to go to the walk in on Sunday and he has had drops...

Nothing like being kept informed is there....

My eye has been itching like mad and its sticky (wonder if its all in my mind)

Tily Bud
27-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Im sure that the mindee will be fine by friday and as everyone says there is no exclusion period anymore :eek: I had it a few weeks back and had to have 3 lots of drops and ointment and can honestly say it was one of the most painful things ever :( i even had to have swabs taken but it just turned out to be a nasty case that lasted 2 weeks !

berkschick
27-02-2008, 10:23 PM
M Dad knocked with M on Saturday to ask me what was wrong with her eyes.

They were awful, I have never seen it so bad and I sent him off to the docs.

They then kept M off on Tuesday because of it and I text Mum today asking how M was and Mum said M eyes still weepy so she will more than likely not come tomorrow either.

It is still our GP policy to tell you to keep them away from school, nursery etc as I asked when Ella had it at the begining of the month ( M was on holiday at the time so she didnt get it from Ella!)

I think this must be what the GP has told them also as they have kept her off without me having to tell them too. Although they havent paid me yet........

I would not have accepted her though to be honest. She obviously has it really bad to still have sticky eyes after 5 days of drops.

lindylou
27-02-2008, 10:39 PM
I dont mind with conjunctivitus if the eyes are weeping as it is very contagious but sometimes you dont know they have it till they have a sleep, when they wake up their eyes are full of gunk
You then ring parent and they say they were fine when they woke up this morning you know they probably were not but what can you do .
Linx