PDA

View Full Version : Assistant versus Childminder

Tatjana
22-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Hubby was asking me about him becoming a childminder and for us to work together.

Having read a bit about assistants could anyone please tell me if it would be better to be an assistant, or what the difference would be as opposed to becoming a childminder.

Would i be more likely to have numbers increased if he was a cm rather than assistant?

Hope i'm making some sort of sense, I know what i want to ask but not too sure if i'm making it clear?!

TIA
xx

Mrs.L.C
22-09-2009, 05:57 PM
We have also looked into this as my husband has just become my assistant - its working well at the moment and Ofsted have increased our numbers to 10 under 8 of which we can have 6 under 5 - not that we would have 6 under 5:eek: but this varies from area to area

The only benefits we can see/have heard about if hubby was to register is numbers would be doubled to 12 under 8, insurance would allow upto 15 children of any age where as its no more than 10 of any age atm. He would be allowed to be with the children on his own whether it be in the house or out and about where as an assistant cant be left on the premises with minded children on there own

If any one else can give any more pros then please share as we are also still in 2 minds as well

Tatjana
23-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank you for your reply.

So, as an assistant he can't be left on the premises on his own with the mindees? Does that also apply to doing school runs etc on his own?

I'm confused! :blush:

xx

Mrs.L.C
23-09-2009, 03:34 PM
This is what I find silly - asssistants can be on their own with the children out of the house for example to do the school run with written consent from parents but cant be left on their own in the house

Pauline
23-09-2009, 04:14 PM
This is what I find silly - asssistants can be on their own with the children out of the house for example to do the school run with written consent from parents but cant be left on their own in the house

That bit is only for the Childcare Register, they can be left home alone with children on the Early Years Register :) (with parents and Ofsted permission of course)

As regards your question Tia - One other thing to consider is that if hubby registers in his own right you have two inspections, two lots of insurance, two Ofsted fees to pay.

Mrs.L.C
23-09-2009, 05:14 PM
That bit is only for the Childcare Register, they can be left home alone with children on the Early Years Register :) (with parents and Ofsted permission of course)

This is where I get confused because everyone tells you differently. When Ofsted came out to agree to increasing numbers when Hubby was working with me they said I could not leave any of the children with him in the house but he could do the school run. Has this changed from Sept?

Tatjana
23-09-2009, 07:53 PM

As regards your question Tia - One other thing to consider is that if hubby registers in his own right you have two inspections, two lots of insurance, two Ofsted fees to pay.

Ah yes, didn't think of those extra costs..thank goodness for this forum.

Thank you all so much for your help.

xx

Chatterbox Childcare
23-09-2009, 08:27 PM
This is where I get confused because everyone tells you differently. When Ofsted came out to agree to increasing numbers when Hubby was working with me they said I could not leave any of the children with him in the house but he could do the school run. Has this changed from Sept?

A lot changed in April. An assistant with all the paperwork, including letters from parents and First Aid can stay on the premises with children in the Early Years Register and can now collect children on the Voluntary and Compulsory register but CANNOT enter the premises until the registered person comes back.

These rules are not from Ofsted but the DCSF

Pauline
23-09-2009, 08:43 PM

There is a booklet from Ofsted which is useful. There is a copy on the downloads - on the left hand side near the bottom called:

Ofsted Factsheet - The use of assistants by childminders on the Early Years and Childcare registers:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

Mrs.L.C
24-09-2009, 11:40 AM
There is a booklet from Ofsted which is useful. There is a copy on the downloads - on the left hand side near the bottom called:

Ofsted Factsheet - The use of assistants by childminders on the Early Years and Childcare registers:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/freedownloads.html

Thats handy cheers. Been trying to download something from the Ofsted website regarding assistants but its being updated