PDA

View Full Version : Siblings, babies and school-age children

Tily Bud
22-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Just wondered if anyone had been in the position i am in now and could offer advice x

I currently mind children ranging from 1 - 8 years all at different times throughout the week x well 1 of the mums have just had a baby and another is due in nov, both want me to care for the babies which i should be able to do so long as i get a variation due to them both being siblings of older children i already care for x

This is all good and i should be happy that come next year i will be totally full but i do feel that it will push me to the limit as far as me coping - i've no problem with the little ones but some of my after schoolers can be a handful :eek:

Ideally i would 'lose' at least one or maybe 2 of the after schoolers to help keep my sanity and also enable me to give them all the attention that they deserve x I obviously want to take on the babies as they will stay with me longer and also earn me more money x

How do other people cope when children keep coming even when they start school but you also need to take on babies to fill the spaces in the day x

I know the babies will definately be coming as both their siblings have been coming since they were babies and both the parents have very secure jobs x

kellym3
22-09-2009, 02:47 PM
i have never been in this situation but i would see if you got the veriation first if u get it then politely give notice to 1 or 2 afterschoolers the children in the EYFS care comes first if the a/schools are taking your attention away from u8s. some 1 with better understanding will b along soon.

The Juggler
22-09-2009, 04:10 PM
am in similar position at the moment. it's becoming a real struggle. if push came to shove I would have to say no more after school if it was term-time only and there was no holiday places required. there is a really good after school club here so that makes it easier.

at the end of the day you need to fill your day places. at present I'm lucky my replacements have all gone home at 3 or 4pm so it's manageable. So, not had to give any bad news yet.

Tily Bud
22-09-2009, 09:52 PM
thanks for the replies x i think i will hold fire for a while and see how it pans out x
although tonight was a real struggle and thats without the extra babies, the older ones can be quite a handful :eek: one of the mums did mention after school club and another heard us talking x

The mum of the oldest is going to chat to her husband about the afterschool club, i only have him 2 nights a week so wont lose much x
I chatted with the other mum and have reassureed her that i can keep her son until the babies start and shes happy with this, i just said we'd keep chatting and be open with each other about the situation x

Its so hard when you've had them since babies and they are all friends but then i have to remind myself this is a business :rolleyes:

The Juggler
23-09-2009, 09:55 PM
also honey sometimes the older they get they just need something a bit different. some of mine are gagging to go to afer school club but parents want them to stay with me. Others wouldn't survive it in a million years, others would do really well there.

I think those that tend to be more aggressive, need to be outdoors/play out do well at the clubs as they have the playworkers with them solely concentrating on their age group.

LOL

TheBTeam
23-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Only advice I can offer is not to do anything too hasty, or too early, I would give it a go, it may mean restructuring some of what you do, but you may well surprise youself at it all working out just fine!

manjay
24-09-2009, 07:24 AM
I would give it a go too. I have only been doing this 2 years but all the ones that started at the beginning are still here. This means I have 9 children most evenings after school, 2 are my own and 3 are over 8. I find the mix works really well for me but I am constantly thinking and planning what my setting will be like in 12 months time if they all stay. I know you can't always forsee what is going to happen in the future but like you I have 2 new babies due so feel that I do need to think about it.

Good luck xx

Tily Bud
24-09-2009, 01:13 PM
thanks for the replies everyone xx

I think im going to leave it for now , as anything could happen but a parent of the oldest child (she also has a baby with me)has mentioned the local kids club as as she puts it she doesnt want the elder ones behaviour etc affecting the care i can give the baby as the older one is much more independent and can fend for himself xx

will just wait and see what happens now x