PDA

View Full Version : is there something like a duty to report...

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 12:28 PM
...another cm if they do something wrong.

Not that I hope I will ever be in this position, but having read a couple of posts on here it seems some people would not report another cm for certain things while others would.

Now I am wondering if it is just up to your personal judgment how you handle these types of situations or whether there is some kind of duty to disclose...and if so in which circumstances..

like if you see a cm hit a child you would obviously want to do something about that...but my question is if there is a legal requirment though?

hope you know what I mean..

LeeAnn
22-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I have it in my whistle blowing policy that if I see another professional being inappropriate in some way I will report it

ORKSIE
22-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Good question....I dont think its a requirement but I do think that if you see something that you know is not right Eg.. Smacking a Mindee..then yes I think it is our duty to report it.:)

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Interesting, my CCO told me I only need a whistle blowing policy if I work together with another cm.....so I dont have one...

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Good question....I dont think its a requirement but I do think that if you see something that you know is not right Eg.. Smacking a Mindee..then yes I think it is our duty to report it.:)

hm..but this is a bit blury I think..like som people would report another cm for leaving kids in cars...others for smoking...while some wouldnt...that's why I was wondring if there is something more set in stone..so to speak..

HomefromHome
22-09-2009, 12:37 PM
yes i would if saw something like that!!!!
it's difficult though when you know someone is operating as i cm but you know they're not! i know there is someone at my dd's school ( a mum and she was working ther p/t!!) who looks after her friend's baby all the time... ok i cant prove she's being paid, but under the more than 2 hrs a day rule.... i'm not going to do owt bout it, nut if i knew someone was operating as a cm and they had lots of kids, i would!

uf353432
22-09-2009, 12:45 PM
I think that you have a duty to report if it falls under 'safeguarding'

Smoking in front of children, leaving unattended in a car, hitting a child - all these are safeguarding issues and I think that we have a duty to protect ALL children if we have reason to suspect a safeguarding issue.

madasahatter
22-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Often the problem is not just about whether you should report something, but will anything get done if you do report it. Quite often it seems you go to the effort of recording incidents etc and nothing comes of your complaint.

Several years ago I reported someone who was minding but unregistered. At times she had 5 preschoolers on the school run:eek: Ofsted did make a surprise visit, but as luck would have it she only had a couple of children at the time and she passed them off as relatives. She got off with just being told that if she was minding non relatives she needed to register......so not even a slap on the wrist.

Currently another local registered C/M has been reported by several people for being over her numbers, but ofsted don't appear to have done anything. I've heard her tell people she misses the extras off her register and if anyone from ofsted called she'd pass them off as visiting friends.
What can you do?:mad:

Pipsqueak
22-09-2009, 01:39 PM
i have reported 2 minders for the way they treat the children - it was to me a safeguarding issue and in one instance due to the admission of the childminders adult daughter that there was a s/g issue and NCMA s/g teams advice. Do you know what Ofsted done - NOTHING in both instances. The latter minder that i mention has had 3 similar complaints made about her - by the CDO and an EYP.

Yes I would still report something I felt it necessary as I could not live with myself knowing I done nothing.

I wouldn't report a minder for smoking though, something like hitting a child, a safeguarding issue yes I would

little daisies
22-09-2009, 03:22 PM
i reported a new childminder the other week because she had 6 children under 4yrs at the local park ofsted just had a word with her about keeping up to date attendance records

Mouse
22-09-2009, 03:40 PM
What annoys me is that Ofsted don't appear to give more than a mild ticking off to minders who get reported. I know some who are reported regularly for quite blatant things (smoking, overminding etc), but nothing seems to be done other than.

But, when I overlooked my annual registration fee renewal a few years ago and forgot to pay, I had a letter threatening to take my registration away!
My DO said it is easier for Ofsted to strike a minder off for not paying their fee than it is to strike them off for doing something wrong :rolleyes:

wendywu
22-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I dont think there is a legal duty for reporting any one. As you dont have to report a crime to the police if you dont want to.

It is all down to your personal standards.:)

aly
22-09-2009, 03:47 PM
this all gets me riled because I received a complaint against me because I gave someone notice!!! yet another minder that had left kids in the car just had a word !!!

Ripeberry
22-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Double standards :angry:

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I dont think there is a legal duty for reporting any one. As you dont have to report a crime to the police if you dont want to.

It is all down to your personal standards.:)

but I thought in certain professions you have a duty to report.
like if you are a gp and suspect a child got beaten rather than had a fall you need to report it....or at least that was my understanding of it
that's why I was wondering about cm too...Like if we suspect a child is being abused at home we have to report it as far as I know (is this right?) so if we saw something that happens with another cm and a child, do we have to report it or is it up to each individual to decide a)what constitutes a reportable offence and b)whether or not to report it in the first place.

obviously we cannot influence what Ofsted//CC/ Social Services or the police will do about it...but at least we informed the relevant authorities...and I guess if it was really sever you would just keep reporting it or go above the people you reported it to...not sure

The Juggler
22-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I have and would again report safety issues as I could not live with myself if something happened to the kiddies and I'd said nothing. However, in my experience, Ofsted just said, did you do it?. CM says no (despite numerous complaints prior and from different sources (which ofsted presumably are aware of). Ofsted leave happy. CM' thinks someONE has it in for her :eek: when actually several concerned people are just worrying about her mindees.

what can you do? I just read the other thread about smoking and Ofsted just telling a CM not to do it despite being reported several times. She carries on, they tell her off, she continues. Sometimes I wonder why all of us on this forum worry so much about the little things we accidentally get wrong when there are CM's out there blatantly flouting the regulations and ofsted are aware and do nothing.:angry:

It'd be sods law though that WE would get hauled over the coals though for the tiniest little thing! Just as well we're all so fantastic!:p

ORKSIE
22-09-2009, 10:06 PM
hm..but this is a bit blury I think..like som people would report another cm for leaving kids in cars...others for smoking...while some wouldnt...that's why I was wondring if there is something more set in stone..so to speak..

I dont think there is anything set in stone....But if there is...can someone let me know.

Thanks Blackhorse:thumbsup:

wendywu
22-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Orksie, Once upon a time far far away i think there was a sword that was.

But dont quote me on that because im in Arthur mind about it, in a Round about way, as sure as day is Knight. But i may lay my cards on the Table and say tis so ;)