PDA

View Full Version : parents arriving early!

lovemyprams
22-09-2009, 11:40 AM
One of the parents I mind for has asked to drop her child off 5 mins early in morning because of distance to work - I have agreed to this as child is 10yrs and no trouble whatsoever(I do not charge extra for this). However, another set of parents saw this yesterday and assumed it was ok for them to also come in at 7.55am! (younger child). Then this morning 4 sets of parents arrived at my door at just before 7.55am! I start work at 8am and I know it is only 5 mins but, I am worried that if I dont 'nip it in the bud' now they will arrive earlier tomorrow. The other parents dont know that the older child has permission to come earlier (it is confidential anyway) but I think they now presume its ok for them to turn up as first child is here anyway.

Am I being really petty as it is only 5/6 mins but, I have my own children and those 5 mins are precious. I feel like sending a letter to them all saying that I start at 8am unless you have prior permission as I have a long day and I am lucky if I get 10min break at lunchtime.

I would like to add that all these parents are lovely by the way (If I need to finish slightly earlier if have dentist/doctors they are more than accomodating but it is very rare that I ask for this). I was just a bit taken aback this morning - and none of them apologised for being early!!! I am hoping that it is a one off!

Anyone had similar situation and what did you do?

Sorry for long post.

Polly2
22-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Like you say it may be a one off but if it turns into a regular thing I would nip it in the bud and write what you say in a newsletter.

5 mins a day adds up and you can get a lot done in that time especially when you have children of your own!

sweets
22-09-2009, 11:44 AM
to be honest i wouldn't bother for only 5 mins, as its hard to time journeys exactly due to traffic and lights etc.

if it starts getting to be more than 5 mins tho i would definately say something. i would prob just send a general letter out and say that your door will be opened from 7.55 and no earlier as you have your own children to sort out, this might just make them realise what they are doing.

HomefromHome
22-09-2009, 11:44 AM
just dont answer the door!!!! which might be hard with the one wi permission!!!! i do that if they're early... 'oh didnt hear the bell/upstairs/on the phone':)

lovemyprams
22-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Gosh that was quick!

Yes I know it is hard to time journeys but these parent live 5/10 mins away from my house and I did politely mention to one last week that they were 5mins early - and he said "yes I know"!

I think I will see what happens over the next few days and take it from there.

One parent was parked outside my house yesterday at 7.40:eek: She didnt knock on the door though until she saw the others arrive early.

Thank you for your replies.:)

Mouse
22-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't mind them being 5 minutes early, but what you have to watch is that it doesn't drift to 10, then 15 minutes early. Like you say, it's surprising what you can get done in those last few minutes.

I've just update my info pack for new parents & have put in there that I charge an extra fee for early drop off. It used to say that I would charge extra for late collection, but I'm hoping that by adding it's also for early drop off, it'll either stop them from doing it...or I'll at least get paid for it!

Twinkles
22-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't mind 5 mins as you say they are good about picking up early if needed.

I do have on my policies about not arriving early as I will be preparing for the day. But by this I mean 15 -20 mins as I've had in the past.

It's all about give and take and only you know if this would upset them to the point that they would be unhelpful in the future.

Trouble
22-09-2009, 12:57 PM
i have 1 set who comes 15 early and picks up 15 late thats 30 mins every day unless shes going out then shes on time:angry: :angry: :angry:

now i lock my door until 8 oclock:D ;)

Tired
22-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I would do a general letter asking parents to stick to contracted times. They do not know what time the 10 year old is contracted to arrive, its none of their business. If they see him go into your house early they should assume that is his contracted start time.

Louise_Oaktree
22-09-2009, 03:56 PM
I had my 1st set of parents do this and it stretched to 30 mins some days (7.30 instead of 8) so with my new parent who arrived 7.55am yesterday hubby answered door and she sat on sofa for 5 mins until I came downstairs. Hubby just said I was still getting ready. I felt guilty but I think it has to be done at the very start.Today she came at 8.15am :clapping:

lovemyprams
22-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you to all who have replied - it has really helped.:)

I have decided to wait and see what happens over the next week or so and take it from there.

Parents have, however collected late a few times ie. 20 mins late and I have never charged but that is just me being soft. (They have always rang to let me know though)

I know it is give and take but I feel that I give a lot and totally understand they cannot time it to the exact minute but I dont want them arriving earlier and earlier as I think some definately would try it on if they could!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I would speak to each of the sets of parents individually and ask if they need their contract changing and suggest 7.45 and tell them how much it costs. They will say no and you can reply that you will see them at 8am then.

As to the other girl, how would the parents know that you don't start with her at 7.55? Alternatively she could come at 7.45 and they wouldn't know.

babs
22-09-2009, 09:31 PM
if it keeps happenin i would send out a reminder of thier hours askin to do a review as 5 minutes early /20 minutes late adds up. then once they send the review back explain how much extra it will cost ..

charleyfarley
22-09-2009, 09:40 PM
i have 1 set who comes 15 early and picks up 15 late thats 30 mins every day unless shes going out then shes on time:angry: :angry: :angry:

now i lock my door until 8 oclock:D ;)

Yep my gates stay locked until my start time too.

5 mins now and again is ok but when they do it constantly that takes the biscuit and I drew the line at 45 mins :eek:

Carol xx

lovemyprams
22-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Mine isn't that bad after all!!

angeldelight
22-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Mine isn't that bad after all!!

Still I cant blame you being concerned if other parents start to do it

I would maybe leave it a week or two though and take it from there

If the others continue to arrive early ask if they need to change their contract - for all they know your other parent could have done that so let them think it !!!

Good luck hope they dont take advantage of you

Angel xx

kelzunique
23-09-2009, 06:49 AM
I had my 1st set of parents do this and it stretched to 30 mins some days (7.30 instead of 8) so with my new parent who arrived 7.55am yesterday hubby answered door and she sat on sofa for 5 mins until I came downstairs. Hubby just said I was still getting ready. I felt guilty but I think it has to be done at the very start.Today she came at 8.15am :clapping:

haha! i like your style :laughing: :clapping: :laughing: