PDA

View Full Version : Thank goodness for the slow cooker!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-09-2009, 09:49 AM
My mindees have been a nightmare this morning and are all in bed.

The roast is in the oven and now I have honey baked ham cooking in the slow cooker where it will be for the next 6 hours.

Yummy

little miss chatterbox
22-09-2009, 09:51 AM
yummy!
I have lasagne sauce in mine!

Enjoy

RachelE
22-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Hmmm, honey baked ham sounds nice.

What does that entail - apart from honey and ham obviously!! :rolleyes:

Stanfield
22-09-2009, 10:35 AM
I have just been asking about recipies on here ... it inspired me to dust off my slow cooker :idea: and I have just bought a recipie book online from waterstones to get me into using it ... aparently you can cook puddings and everything!!!

Cant wait (hungry already!!!):D

Zoomie
22-09-2009, 10:48 AM
yummy yummy in MY tummy ???

sweets
22-09-2009, 11:28 AM
yummy yummy in MY tummy ???

yummy yummy in my tummy........

eat too much and you get a big fat bummy

:laughing: :laughing:

tinkerbelle
22-09-2009, 11:35 AM
ive thrown a stew in mine started it then realised id only got turkey pillets so in it goes ill pretend its chicken :laughing:

Daftbat
22-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I did chilli in mine yesterday and the whole house smelt wonderful!

LOOPYLISA
22-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Love my slow cooker :D

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 12:09 PM
mine currently contains milk rice pudding

100g rice pudding
a bit of sugar
some vanilla
1 ltr of milk..
if you like you can add some raisins too

2-3 hours...and its ready
my slow cooker has a porridge cooking function too (and a steamer and a rice cooker) anyways..once the rice has cooked for about 2 hours, I switch to porridge cooking and leave the lid open..for about 20 mins...so that it gets a nice consistency.

I dont think I could be without my slowcooker anymore..

katickles
22-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I LOVE mine too!! So so easy & agree when they are on the house smells fab, really homely, lol

I love to make a beef, onion & mushroom filling for a pie in mine, amoung lots of other things that is.

Slow cookers = fab invention:D

Twinkles
22-09-2009, 12:23 PM
My mindees have been a nightmare this morning and are all in bed.

The roast is in the oven and now I have honey baked ham cooking in the slow cooker where it will be for the next 6 hours.

Yummy

Yum I'll be round in about an hour ok ?

Hebs
22-09-2009, 12:49 PM
can you cook mince and dumplings in them??

i love my slow cooker, had it on yesterday, and it's so nice to come in from the school run to the yummy smell of tea cooking thats i've not had to slave over :laughing: :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
22-09-2009, 12:51 PM
can you cook mince and dumplings in them??

i love my slow cooker, had it on yesterday, and it's so nice to come in from the school run to the yummy smell of tea cooking thats i've not had to slave over :laughing: :laughing:

I put mince in mine, i brown it before slightly and drain or else its very greasy :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I think you can add dumplings towards the end of the cooking time...(about 1 hour before the food is finished) they say to turn the slow cooker on high about 30mins before adding the dumplings...my slow cooker hasnt good a temp setting though and it still works

that should give them enough time to cook.

(that comes out of my slow cooker recipe book)

Hebs
22-09-2009, 12:56 PM
think i'll try mince and dumplings in it tomorrow :clapping:

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I quite fancy mince and dumplings too know..I love dumplings!!

found this dumpling recipe to go with veg stews:

115g self raising flour
1tsp caraway seeds
50g shredded veg suet
1 courgette grated
about 75ml water

makes about 12 dumplings...

might make them as I have a courgette that needs to get used up....:D
although I might leave out the caraway seeds...maybe use a herb instead..not sure the kids are into caraway seeds...

Twinkles
22-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I had a recipe for dumplings that used breadcrumbs instead of suet. They were lovely and light. I'll see if I can find it.

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I had a recipe for dumplings that used breadcrumbs instead of suet. They were lovely and light. I'll see if I can find it.

that sounds good!!
hopefully you can find the recipe...:D :laughing:

Twinkles
22-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Here you go http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2637/chicken-and-red-wine-casserole-with-herby-dumpling actually the whole recipe is good :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 01:08 PM
oh that does sound nice...

the right things for it getting colder outside again..imagine coming home and smelling this...

Thanks!! :clapping:

Alibali
22-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I love mine too! Tomorrows dinner is planned, but now I fancy the rice pudding too! I think I may need 2 slow cookers!

CherryBlossom
22-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I love my slow cooker! Reminds me of my nan lol. She use to cook everything in it!
I love to do chicken casserole and dumplings-so yummy!

x

daisyboo1980
23-09-2009, 06:37 AM
are they really that good and handy i was thinking abt one as im finding it hard cooking fast enough at tea time and as ive very fussy mindee's i want to introduce different food i may invest in one anyone thats the best or are they all simialar

clare78
23-09-2009, 07:24 AM
i dont use slow cooker either its in the back of the cupboard

but those mince and dumplings sound yummy

how long would you cook the mince for and do you add gravy if so how much

:jump for joy: :jump for joy:

PixiePetal
23-09-2009, 07:31 AM
are they really that good and handy i was thinking abt one as im finding it hard cooking fast enough at tea time and as ive very fussy mindee's i want to introduce different food i may invest in one anyone thats the best or are they all simialar

They are brilliant. Mine is a large one and has a low or high setting and a keep warm one.

I do whole 'roast' chicken nearly every week. Just put it in and cook on high for about 3-4 hours. Meat falls off. and no splatters in the oven to clean up :thumbsup:

Made a bol on monday, browned the mince first to separate then chucked it all in the slow cooker on low for the afternoon :laughing: Went out for walk with the kids and only had the pasta to do.

Bunging a stew in later today :thumbsup:

EllaBella
23-09-2009, 08:07 AM
i always use my slow cooker, if it can be bunged in there to cook then thats where it goes!! it saves so much time, and theres less to wash up !!

my favourites are, spag bol, chilli con carne, saussage casserole, chicken casserole , pot roast, lamb stew, sweet and sour chicken, and curry. chickn in white wine sauce... ahh my list is endless lol