PDA

View Full Version : Diary with nursery

amirose
22-09-2009, 08:22 AM
Hello, I approached my new mindee's nursery with regards to EYFS yesterday. I suggested a diary where we can communicate what we have been up to and shes going to organise this ready for pick up at 3.
I look after him 3.10pm-6.30pm so he is basically like one of my after schoolers. I usually get them back they free play whilst i prepare tea which is on the table for 4.30 they usually take a whole hour to eat so that's 5.30pm i clear up and by that time its normally getting on for 6pm. I do always make an effort to sit with him in the last half hour but its of course its getting late by then for a 3 (almost 4 year old) and its only half hour. I usually colour with him or read him a story.
So the thing is I suddenly feel very shy and quite out of my depth as to what to write in this diary!!! Do I just write what I did in the last half hour??? Of course I will write any obs down but other than that is it a bit like a parent diary or do I need to write planning down (which I wasn't planning on doing much of due to the hours his here?)

huggableshelly
22-09-2009, 09:17 AM
there is alot that you are doing without realising to be honest.

look through the EYFS goals and see what can be ticked off ... its not necessarly things that you specifically do with a child but what you observe.

lets say the child is happy playing with others you are busy preparing food but you check on them all the time and can always hear them.

keep a camera at hand for snapshots.

you can see he can seek out others to share experiences by involving others to play his game .... PSED

making sounds bt baning, shaking, tapping or blowing CD grab instruments for that hour you have free

its so much easier than you think it is and you do not need to be 100% interactive with the child.

begin to have their own friends ... KUW

as for diary sharing with nursery remember to keep a full record for yourself incase the diary goes missing. I hope the nursery works with you on this and I admire the fact that you have made that contact so well done to you.

ADDING : no you do not need to add your planning, the time spent in your care is child led and short term. Nursery will do their planning and will not need to see yours. Keep it simple, you will naturally do tuns of things with him you just need to be a little more relaxed and look at what is already happening.

amirose
22-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Shelly,

Thank you for your reply it helps lots :)

However this is the bit where I get confused, I have 3 mindees in the EYFS some things on thier development charts they do all the time or in fact were already doing when they started with me - these things are not "wow" moment's so to speak its just what they do (not meant quite as bluntly as that but don't know how else to word it) therefore are these observations? because I thought observations were only the wow moments?

Confused.com lol

mama2three
22-09-2009, 04:14 PM
when you first start doing obs its often easiest to start with the wow moments , but as you get happier with doing observations you will be noting all the more mundane things which are still an important part of development. even next steps can be just to consolidate behaviour or learning you have noted even if it was already being done before they were with you. hope that makes some sense?

miffy
22-09-2009, 07:37 PM
You could add anything that's he's told you he enjoyed doing at nursery/ what his current interests are when he's with you/ give a brief outline of what happens in the time he's with you - that sort of thing.

Miffy xx