PDA

View Full Version : right I am totally paranoid...but!

charliegee
21-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Hello all

Hope your mondays have gone well?

just a quick one (promise!).....

I had an experience a wee while back with a mum who came to view getting nasty when I told her (when she took a while to get back to me...) the place had been filled in the meantime.

Well....I had another mum come and visit a week ago (last monday) who said she wanted the space and would "get back to me".....which she hasn't.

In the meantime I've signed (well...will by end of week touch wood!) another mindee so the space I spoke with this mum last monday about had gone (or as I say..touch wood will be!)

please can you reassure me that I haven't done anything wrong here (or if I have tell me!) and if mum last week has been slow in getting back to me and space has gone that is just unfortunate (not meaning to sound unkind!) for her.

(haha - this is assuming she ever does come back to me!!! how vain do I sound!! she may not even want place!!)

sorry to be toally paranoid but last time this happened (I said a space was filled...) mum got really nasty and threated to "report me to the council and ofsted!"

(sorry...long post and not so quick after all...thanks for reading guys! xxx)
:blush:

wendywu
21-09-2009, 10:18 PM
No you have done the right thing. First come first served.

Well done on signing her :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
21-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I would probably ring and say I have someone else interested and is she, as the place may soon be filled?

charliegee
21-09-2009, 10:24 PM
I would probably ring and say I have someone else interested and is she, as the place may soon be filled?

Oh gosh I think I will phone her tomorrow and tell her the place has gone so even if she is just being slow in getting back to me she at least can have time to sort alternative childcare.

I would rather go with other mindee that hopefully (all being well!) will sign this week as better hours.

(mum I haven't heard back from wants term time only whereas other mindee needs all year round which suits me best)

Do you guys phone people you haven't heard from to say the space has gone or do you just leave it? (I'm useless on contracts / business side - you're lifesavers!) I don't want to pester parents who don't want to use me but at the same time don't want to see people stuck for childcare - am I too much of a softie?! :laughing:

xxx

youarewhatyoueat
21-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Crikey once ok but twice why didn't you give her a deadline to get back to you.I think its just good manners to communicate with people, ok that works both ways but I always treat people how I would want to be treated.

sophiestars
21-09-2009, 10:40 PM
It's tricky because some people are more organised than others in getting back to us to sign etc. It's not always as simple as just rushing to sign after they have seen you as it is a huge decision for people to leave their children with someone and they have usually visited a few nurseries and minders to make their choice.

In your situation I would ring the first lady to say I have someone else interested so do you still want the space. That's if you want her! And if you are undecided which one to sign I think you should say to the second one that you have had other enquiries so if the first one wants the space you can't offer it to her. I think it's just a matter of courtesy to contact both ladies to avoid the situation you had last time.

If you want the mindee with better hours I would just explain politely to the first lady that you need more hours and have found someone that can offer them. Did you explain to her at the meeting that you would be seeing other potential customers?

charliegee
21-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Hello

Yes I did explain to the first lady that I was seeing other people and she left it that she would phone be back (which she hasn't)

I said to the second lady when she visited that I had seen another mum earlier on in the week and (when she wanted to take the place straight away) said I would have to wait and see if lady #1 got back to me over the weekend (lady #1 said "I'll get in touch in a day or so")

Twinkles
21-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I don't think you've done anything wrong. You choose the contract that suits you best - it's your business. You are under no obligation to hold a place for someone who may or may not get back to you.

I do however think it would be polite to call the first one and tell her of your decision. :thumbsup:

charliegee
21-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Crikey once ok but twice why didn't you give her a deadline to get back to you.I think its just good manners to communicate with people, ok that works both ways but I always treat people how I would want to be treated.

Thanks for your replys guys

I totally agree Caroline - treat people as you would like to be treated but I did say to her that I would need to know as I did have other parents come to see me. I will phone her tomorrow (even if she never wanted me :laughing: )

I hope you all don't think badly of me as I value your opinions so much (you're always so helpful!)

just get scared in situations like this and I'm quite shy and hate confrontation unnecessarily:blush:

balloon
22-09-2009, 07:10 AM
be careful you don't write the first one off before the second one signs! You want the second one more so give them a ring and see what they say, then phone the first when you have names on papers or you could end up with nothing.

grindal
22-09-2009, 07:36 AM
I think a quick text is great in a situation like this - it avoids a phone conversation and leaves the decision of whether or not to get back to you with the parent. I would send a text saying
"have a new parent interested in childminding vacancy - please get back to me by end of wednesday if still interested"
I always make sure I take a mobile and home phone number when a parent first contacts me so I can follow up missed appointments, or delays in getting back to me.

Roseolivia
22-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Hello

Yes I did explain to the first lady that I was seeing other people and she left it that she would phone be back (which she hasn't)

I said to the second lady when she visited that I had seen another mum earlier on in the week and (when she wanted to take the place straight away) said I would have to wait and see if lady #1 got back to me over the weekend (lady #1 said "I'll get in touch in a day or so")

It sounds like you've been more than polite to both parents. You've told them both that you've had other enquiries. I think in this case it's first come first served. Don't worry about Ofsted, you haven't signed any contracts yet.