PDA

View Full Version : Hot Homemade meal ideas / recipies ...

Stanfield
21-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Hi, I was hoping to pick all you brains about the homemade meals you mindees really enjoy.

I have a 15month old starting soon, my 2year old son and my youngest started on carrots 2 days ago (but not counting him in!!)

Well I am looking for simple recipies that are friendly to this age group and preferably contain lots of meat (both love it!)

I love to cook, but don't often get a lot of time to do it. Was going to cook the meal for our tea the evening before, then reheat it (following strict food hygine rules of course:D ) the next day for lunch. Occasionally I would do it as an activity on the day with the children.

So ... What are your favourites and the recipies please ... I will add mine as I try them out because at the moment we have meat / fish, veg and potatoes with gravy / white sauce all week long!!!:blush:

Blackhorse
21-09-2009, 09:18 PM
meat balls with tomato sauce and either rice or pasta (also an option in a sweet and sour sauce for a change)
(meat balls made with either beef mince or turkey mince. add some onions, apple, bread crumbs..herbs..salt, pepper..etc to make the meatballs)
I can post the recipe if you like..not came across anyone that doesnt like it.

also lasagne, fish pie, beef stroganoff, tuna pasta, pasta bakes, toad in the hole with mash, sweet and sour chicken, spagetti bolonaise, veggi tomato rice with grilled chicken, tomato and garlic lamb strew, baked potatoes with different fillings, different slow cooker recipes as I can prepare it in the evening and let it cook over night...its magic!

Stanfield
21-09-2009, 09:29 PM
meat balls with tomato sauce and either rice or pasta (also an option in a sweet and sour sauce for a change)
(meat balls made with either beef mince or turkey mince. add some onions, apple, bread crumbs..herbs..salt, pepper..etc to make the meatballs)
I can post the recipe if you like..not came across anyone that doesnt like it.

:thumbsup: Yes Please!!!

also lasagne, fish pie, beef stroganoff, tuna pasta, pasta bakes, toad in the hole with mash, sweet and sour chicken, spagetti bolonaise, veggi tomato rice with grilled chicken, tomato and garlic lamb strew, baked potatoes with different fillings, different slow cooker recipes as I can prepare it in the evening and let it cook over night...its magic!

Do you have a recipie for the stew too?

I have a slow cooker, forgot all about it, what a good idea, that way it would still be hot intime for lunch too:clapping: I have a recipie book for it that I will have to dig out.:clapping:

Blackhorse
21-09-2009, 09:48 PM
for the meatballs:

2 medium onions, chopped
40g breadcrumbs
50ml milk
250g turkey mince
1 small apple peeled and grated
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
a bit of salt and pepper

flour to make the meatballs and oil to fry them.

I usually put all the onions, apples etc in the food processor to chop. I do this sometimes also with chicken breast, turkey breasts if I cant get minced versions.
mix it all up and make little meatballs out of them. fry them

tomato sauce:
small onion, 1 clove of garlic crushed, 400g tinned tomato, 100ml water, 1 tbsp tomato puree, 2 tsp sugar bit of oregano, salt and pepper

I throw it all in a pot and let it simmer for a while....

once the meatballs are ready I add them to the tomato sauce...

then serve with either potatoes or pasta.

meatballs with mince:
450g beef mince
a med onion
a apple
50g breadcrumbs (plain not coated golden stuff)
a tbsp parsley
a chicken stock cube dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water
salt and pepper
a bit of flour to make the meat balls and oil for frying

mix it all up and make the meatballs as above

works with the same tomato sauce...etc

Slow cooker lamb and tomato stew:
1.2 kg stewing lamb (I have also used less before..but good to make more and freeze sometimes)
2 tbsp plain flour seasoned with pepper
4tbsp oil
2 large cloves of garlic
1 sprig fresh rosmary (have also left this out before as it was raining so much I couldnt be bothered to go into the garden and get it..LOL)
150ml white wine and 150ml lamb or beef stock OR 300 ml stock
1/2 tsp salt
400g can tomatoes
salt and pepper to season

trim lamb and cut into cubes
toss in flour
heat oil in a pan and fry the lamb
then lift into slow cooker pot
add the garlic to remaining oil in frying pan, then add rosemary wine and stock and tomatoes..bring almost to the boil and scrape off all the bits of meat etc from the pan
pour over the lamb
season with salt and pepper

leave in slow cooker (mine doesnt have a heat setting like low or high..so I just leave it for the max amount of hours which with mine is 9)
the recipe says: high for an hour then 6-8 hours on medium

SandCastles
21-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the recipie
I also have a slow cooker in the cupboard doing nothing, in fact it has never been plugged in, so my next task is to try it out.

Stanfield
22-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks for that, that's great!!!:clapping:

little miss chatterbox
22-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I love my slow cooker especially in the winter.

You can roast a joint in it, or I do sausages with onion and gravy so can whip up sausage and mash, sausage casserole, I do my meat sauce for bolonaise or lasagne (which is what I'm doing today!)

Chicken casserole, sauce for beef stroganoff......

My kids like pasta bakes at lunch too, not sure on the healthiness as it's pasta and a jar of sauce but it's comforting and easy!

LOOPYLISA
22-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Love my slow cooker :thumbsup:

I put everything in, from whole chicken, beef stews, bolognaise, whatever you want really within reason :D

Chatterbox Childcare
22-09-2009, 09:23 AM
For my slow cooker and stew I use

Potatoes diced (quite large)
Swede diced (again quite large)
Beef cubed
Onions
Carrots
Stock (made from Bisto but thicker than normal)

On the hob I fry the onions and meat until brown then add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix in and then add enough stock to cover the mix. let it heat up then whack on for the day slow cooking. Half an hour before serving I put the pot back on the stove, add dumlings and let it simmer/steam for 15 minutes.

If reheating I do dumplings fresh

My other favs are:

Chilli, Lasagne, Cottage Pie, Chicken Pasta Bake, Roast. Toad in the Hole, Soups, Sausage and Mash, Home made burgers with rice/salad or chips. The list is endless really.

Puddings: Steamed (quick in the microwave and fresh), cobblers, yoghurts over strawberries and angel delight is a fav in my house at the moment with fruit cut up on top with sprinkles to finish.

Also I make a jelly until nearly set then put in the mixer and add a tin of carnation milk, let it whisk for a good 3 minutes and put in a very large bowl to finish setting (this feeds at least 10 people).

A quick jelly if you need one is to make with the instructions using hot water and when you are supposed to make it up to a pint of cold use ice cubes instead. The cool the mix really quickly and will set the jelly. This can be made in 20 minutes if really needed.

Stanfield
22-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks again for ideas.
I have just bought a recipie book for simple ideas for the slow cooker.
Aparently you can cook puddings in it too!:clapping:

Very excited , can't wait for it to come:clapping:

Stanfield
22-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Yes Debbie,

Angel delights are a favourite of mine too. I like to add sliced bananas to mine and sometimes grate chocolate ontop as a treat.:D

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 12:12 PM
what are Angel delights?? never heard of them

has anyone got a good recipe for them (a tried and tested one?)

LeeAnn
22-09-2009, 12:30 PM
my mindess love baked potatoes too, I just pop them in the oven in the morning and they are ready by lunchtime, we usually have cheese in them with salad on the side (well cucumber, tomatoes and peppers) or beans. Good with tuna mayo too if your littlies like tuna :thumbsup:

I mostly do what others have already suggested.

Stanfield
22-09-2009, 12:33 PM
what are Angel delights?? never heard of them

has anyone got a good recipe for them (a tried and tested one?)

Recipie / Instructions ...

Go to tescos

Go to steam pudding / UHT milk/ Custard isle

Pick up loads of packets of 'Angel delight' (various flavous, also low sugar variety)

Add 1/2 pint of milk to a jug, then mix in the angel delight powder.

You can add fruit / choc sprinkles at this point to the top of pud.

Pour into a bowl and put in fridge for about 20mins till set.

It is delicious, wholesome and very very convienient!!!:D

Blackhorse
22-09-2009, 12:36 PM
sounds good...will check them out!!

Love your instructions...go to tesco..pudding aisle...LOL

little miss chatterbox
22-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Yes Debbie,

Angel delights are a favourite of mine too. I like to add sliced bananas to mine and sometimes grate chocolate ontop as a treat.:D

we all love angel delight except my 4 year old! xx

mummyroysof3
24-09-2009, 01:46 PM
my kids love angel delight, i put chopped up fruit in before it goes in the fridge:thumbsup:

banana one with blueberries in goes down well:laughing:

charlotte x

madasahatter
24-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Recipie / Instructions ...

Go to tescos

Go to steam pudding / UHT milk/ Custard isle

Pick up loads of packets of 'Angel delight' (various flavous, also low sugar variety)

Add 1/2 pint of milk to a jug, then mix in the angel delight powder.

You can add fruit / choc sprinkles at this point to the top of pud.

Pour into a bowl and put in fridge for about 20mins till set.

but remember the low sugar ones contain artificial sweetners which should not be given to under 3's (food standards agency guidelines). In our branch of morrisons this usually limits us to the strawberry or chocolate flavours.

Pudding Girl
24-09-2009, 02:05 PM
I use my slowcooker too and then freeze portions for the one mindee who eats tea here. Things she particularly likes are cowboy casserole(sauage or gammon bits, beans, tomatoes, bbqey sauce) macaroni cheese (anything pasta in fact!) stews or all description - lamb with pearl barley went down really well. Puddings, I do either fruit based or milk based - big fan of rice puds, semolina, macaroni pudding etc also sponge puds with custard, Don't forget when planning though to include the pudding in the nutritional content/balance of the whole meal (does that make sense?!) and also remember if a carb heavy meal like pasta, have something light like fruit, if a lighter meal then save the stodgy puds for then.

Blackhorse
24-09-2009, 06:20 PM
but remember the low sugar ones contain artificial sweetners which should not be given to under 3's (food standards agency guidelines). In our branch of morrisons this usually limits us to the strawberry or chocolate flavours.

actually I checked them out and dont like the ingredients...especially the hydrogenated oil...one of my pet hates and it wont cross my door...same goes for artificial sweeteners...will stick with my austrian pudding which I think has a similar consistency but only contains milk, cocoa, sugar and cornflour....:D
I have to admit I am very very fussy with ingredients....:blush: :blush:

Alibali
24-09-2009, 06:33 PM
actually I checked them out and dont like the ingredients...especially the hydrogenated oil...one of my pet hates and it wont cross my door...same goes for artificial sweeteners...will stick with my austrian pudding which I think has a similar consistency but only contains milk, cocoa, sugar and cornflour....:D
I have to admit I am very very fussy with ingredients....:blush: :blush:

Angel delight is actually a banned product in a lot of the EU due to the additives, doesn't get eaten in my house either.

mushpea
24-09-2009, 06:51 PM
made a wicked tomato soup in the slow cooker today now gotta find a recipe for chicken and mushrroom soup as my son loves this and i promised him i would find him a recipe for it if he tried the tomato soup so if any one knows o f a good chicken and mushroom soup recippe i would be grate ful

anyway in the slow cooker i do , chicken or beef stew, soup, bologanaise sauce which i also use for lasagne, shepherds pie, roast joints, sausage casserole, chicken and mushroom caserole, lamb casserole, chilli.
we also have HM nuggets , fishfingers, sausage and mash, make your own pizza's, roasts, pasta dishes, and proabably more but my minds gone blank!
i would say ask the kids what they like then ask what they think is healthy and combine the two , mine like fishfingers but we have them with peas white sauce and mash potaoto with carrots in. but as yours r little you probably cant ask them!

Stanfield
24-09-2009, 06:57 PM
made a wicked tomato soup in the slow cooker today now gotta find a recipe for chicken and mushrroom soup as my son loves this and i promised him i would find him a recipe for it if he tried the tomato soup so if any one knows o f a good chicken and mushroom soup recippe i would be grate ful

anyway in the slow cooker i do , chicken or beef stew, soup, bologanaise sauce which i also use for lasagne, shepherds pie, roast joints, sausage casserole, chicken and mushroom caserole, lamb casserole, chilli.
we also have HM nuggets , fishfingers, sausage and mash, make your own pizza's, roasts, pasta dishes, and proabably more but my minds gone blank!
i would say ask the kids what they like then ask what they think is healthy and combine the two , mine like fishfingers but we have them with peas white sauce and mash potaoto with carrots in. but as yours r little you probably cant ask them!

When I ask my son, he just says "MEAT PLEASE" !!!!:laughing:

Blackhorse
24-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Angel delight is actually a banned product in a lot of the EU due to the additives, doesn't get eaten in my house either.

well I am glad I am not alone....:D

Ripeberry
24-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Can I just ask all those who use the Slow cooker...do you cook overnight? Then dish up the food in individual containers for either freezing or using later?
Or do you do it only over the weekend?
Most of my recipies (that i like) mean that I have to switch on the cooker at 11am (after doing the preparation) and then it's not ready until 6pm (too late for mindees.
I LOVE lamb shanks by the way.....just melt in your mouth :)

Alibali
25-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Can I just ask all those who use the Slow cooker...do you cook overnight? Then dish up the food in individual containers for either freezing or using later?
Or do you do it only over the weekend?
Most of my recipies (that i like) mean that I have to switch on the cooker at 11am (after doing the preparation) and then it's not ready until 6pm (too late for mindees.
I LOVE lamb shanks by the way.....just melt in your mouth :)

I put mine on at 8am when the first lo's arrive, on high it's ready for lunchtime and then I keep it on warm for dinner for us:D

Stanfield
26-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Well,
I have just used my slow cooker for the first time, turned it on at 10am, went out for the day, returned, knackered, opened the door to a beautiful smell and a complete dinner ready to eat!!!:clapping:

Only thing was my son (the whole reason I cooked the damn thing for) didn't touch it!!!:mad:

Still, I made enough to feed an army, between myself, husband and step son we ate the lot, was supposed to roll over to tomorrow lunch!:panic:

Was good though!

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Ekkk!!! But we all love it in my house! I dont make it for mindees because I don't make pudding for them
but me and my 2 kiddies like it. we dont eat it often but hey ho, what will be will be - we are here to live a life and to enjoy

Daddy Day Care
26-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Ekkk!!! But we all love it in my house! I dont make it for mindees because I don't make pudding for them
but me and my 2 kiddies like it. we dont eat it often but hey ho, what will be will be - we are here to live a life and to enjoy

I love angel delight, so when we have it kiddeis dont get to have much cus my portion is so big, see im looking after them :)

Mollymop
26-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I love angel delight, so when we have it kiddeis dont get to have much cus my portion is so big, see im looking after them :)

You sure are; ya piggie!:p

Stanfield
27-09-2009, 01:28 PM

HHAHA, Same in our house!!!:laughing:

Pauline
28-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Don't forget you can send your recipes to go on the recipe file:

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/recipes/

Submit a recipe form is on right hand side at the top. :)

Daisy1956
12-01-2010, 02:32 PM
What's austrian pudding?

jojane
07-02-2010, 06:06 PM
my 2 children 3 and 18 months LOVE risotto. its a really good meal as you can put most things in it and as its all small bits of veg etc they just gobble it all up, my son wont eat muchrooms that are in bug pieces but he always eats them in risotto.

spag bol always goes down well

a quick tea/lunch i do is pasta with pesto and cream chees stirred in with bits of chopped ham, normally boil peas or brocolli with the pasta too.

stirfry noodles
tuna pasta bake
fish pie

made for the first time the other day salmon crumble, did salmon and veg in a creamy sauce and topped with crumble mix (minus the normal sugar of course!)