PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with the school run?

daisy14
20-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I'm a parent and my daughter aged 2 1/2 has been going to her childminder for 4 weeks, 3 days a week. She is a lovely lady and is brilliant with my daughter, I have no worries other than how she copes with the school run. It has to be done by car, and some days she has 3 other children and my daughter with her. My daughter often falls asleep in the car on the way (as I imagine quite a few at this age would do after a busy day?) and so I'm wondering what she does when she gets there, does she take my sleeping daughter out of the car along with 3 other children, or does she leave her in the car (hopefully not!). I know I should just ask her, and I will when I see her this week but I just wanted to find out what the general opinion would be as to what you would do. I don't want to ask her in a way that might sound like I'm criticising, as she is so good, however I'm now fretting about what happens! Is there a rule as to what you would do in this situation?
Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you for any opinions! :)

moogster1a
21-09-2009, 06:46 AM
hi,
I think we'd be struck off if we left a little one in the car by themselves!
I always have a buggy in the car, and if someone falls asleep, just pick them up and snuggle them down with blankets in the buggy. They usually wake up and enjoy running about or watching the other kids waiting for siblings.

FizzysFriends
21-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Your daughter should be transferred to a pushchair if sleeping and NEVER left in a car unattended.

miffy
21-09-2009, 06:52 AM
I really think you need to talk to your childminder so she can go through her routine with you and put your mind at rest.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
21-09-2009, 07:04 AM
Under our regulations we are not allowed to leave children in the car so she will use a buggy and put your daughter in it and then transfer her back afterwards.

I would speak and she will tell you the same.

youarewhatyoueat
21-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Can she park directly outside school as I can, if I have a child asleep in the car I go a few minutes early and park outside. You really should ask, she shouldn't be offended. You are asking a perfectly reasonable question and I agree as a parent I would want to know. Unusual to have 4 children before doing the school run I only have 3 and then pick up another 4, 2 of them my own.

Princess Sara
21-09-2009, 07:34 AM
Sometimes I have 5 children on the school run. Two of which are mine.

We don't use a car as the school is 5-10 minutes down the road, but after a risk assessment I feel I can cope with 5 children walking to school. There are no main roads to cross, and the three slightly older children hold hands over the small roads we do cross. I have my baby in a buggy and a 2.5 year old walking next to me holding onto the buggy. I have a harness if I felt he needed to be controlled.

Your childminder should have risk assessed her school run noting any useful information and equipment used. I would be happy to talk to any of my mindees parents about any aspect of my work with their children, and yours should too.

Don't be scared of talking to her, she should be happy you are thinking about your childs' safety as some parents do not seem to show any care from the second they drop off their child.

brightstar
21-09-2009, 07:58 AM
Personally I would be worried if a parent couldn't talk to me about everything to do with their childs care. I always tell mine "if theres anything you want to ask, at anytime, but feel awkward just text me, its your child". One of my mums is very precious about her daughter so I often text her questions while shes at work or discuss her preferences for the older childrens care. eg: was it safe to give the 1 yr old strawberrys or do you mind the eight yr old playing the wii? its best to ask questions than worry and blow things out of proportion. It sounds like you have an excellent childminder who will understand.

daisy14
21-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Wow, thanks everyone, that is really helpful, especially to know that the regulations say that she wouldn't be left in the car. It is just that on other forums I have read heated debates between mums as to whether it is safe to leave a child in a car and there seem to be strong opinions both ways. Personally I never would, and I'm 99% sure my childminder wouldn't either but I will double check when I see her next. She is fantastic and I have no problem talking to her about anything, I just wanted to check in with you guys to see what the general consensus was before I spoke to her,also I wasn't sure how to say something to her without it sounding like I was accusing her of anything but I think I've worked it out now! I think I'm a major worry wort!
Anyway - thanks very much for your helpful replies x

Alibali
21-09-2009, 12:57 PM
If the school children are older, then perhaps they walk to the car on their own? That's what my lot do:)

~Chelle~
21-09-2009, 01:02 PM
I drive 6 kids on a school run, 2 of them are my own.

I have two 2 yr olds who go in a double buggy as soon as we get there. The others either go into school and one goes to nursery.

Rain, sleet, snow, sun, they always go in the buggy and the others have umbrellas for rain, I however, get soaked :(

Children should never be left alone in a car, ever!

I would ask her how she copes on a school run, just make light of it, I am sure that your childminder would rather you ask her than have you fretting about your child. I am sure that she wont mind.

TheBTeam
21-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi, I hope you don't mind me posting here. I'm a parent and my daughter aged 2 1/2 has been going to her childminder for 4 weeks, 3 days a week. She is a lovely lady and is brilliant with my daughter, I have no worries other than how she copes with the school run. It has to be done by car, and some days she has 3 other children and my daughter with her. My daughter often falls asleep in the car on the way (as I imagine quite a few at this age would do after a busy day?) and so I'm wondering what she does when she gets there, does she take my sleeping daughter out of the car along with 3 other children, or does she leave her in the car (hopefully not!). I know I should just ask her, and I will when I see her this week but I just wanted to find out what the general opinion would be as to what you would do. I don't want to ask her in a way that might sound like I'm criticising, as she is so good, however I'm now fretting about what happens! Is there a rule as to what you would do in this situation?
Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you for any opinions! :)

Just noticed that you said 'after a busy day', i would just check that she has the registration to cover 4 children under 5, as the normal without a special condition on your certificate would usually be 3 children under 5.

Hebs
21-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Just noticed that you said 'after a busy day', i would just check that she has the registration to cover 4 children under 5, as the normal without a special condition on your certificate would usually be 3 children under 5.

assuming the 3 other kids are in school i'm guessing they'll be over 5 years old or rising 5's :thumbsup:

it's suprising how easy it is to get a little one in and out the car while keeping them asleep :laughing:

some days i'll have 3 under 5's and they all come with me :thumbsup: i would never never never leave one in the car alone

nic76
21-09-2009, 06:15 PM
i would just check that she can have 4 under 5 as i thought the limit was 3.

anyway i always use the buggy and 9 times out of 10 they stay asleep.

i dont think a childminder would leave a child in a car alone.

i have left my own sleeping if i can park outside the gates and as soon as i see my son coming out i run and grab him but never childminded children

Lady Haha
21-09-2009, 07:22 PM
i would just check that she can have 4 under 5 as i thought the limit was 3.

anyway i always use the buggy and 9 times out of 10 they stay asleep.

i dont think a childminder would leave a child in a car alone.

i have left my own sleeping if i can park outside the gates and as soon as i see my son coming out i run and grab him but never childminded children

I am assuming that at least one of the other children is school age or she wouldn't be doing the school run in the first place! And she is within her numbers as she would then only have three under the age of five (as even if the school one was 4, it would count as a five year old!)

Zoomie
21-09-2009, 07:32 PM
i think the regulations say that children must never be left out of sight or ear shot, there isn't anything that says don't leave children in car -

But it isn't good practice ....

how could you see a child choking in the car (even if you can still see the car).

Ofsted wouldn't be happy to hear about it either.

Good luck with speaking to your cm, i am sure you will find all is well.

TheBTeam
21-09-2009, 07:33 PM
It has to be done by car, and some days she has 3 other children and my daughter with her. My daughter often falls asleep in the car on the way (as I imagine quite a few at this age would do after a busy day?) and so I'm wondering what she does when she gets there, does she take my sleeping daughter out of the car along with 3 other children, or does she leave her in the car (hopefully not!). :)

This sounds as though she takes 4 children to the school 'on the way' and 'when she gets there does she take my sleeping daughter out of the car along with 3 other children' the children would therefore presumably not be school age if they were going to school to get the school age children.

I would still be querying the logistics/numbers involved. I have known some very nice childminders still go over their numbers!

nic76
21-09-2009, 08:42 PM
I am assuming that at least one of the other children is school age or she wouldn't be doing the school run in the first place! And she is within her numbers as she would then only have three under the age of five (as even if the school one was 4, it would count as a five year old!)

it sounds to me that she is taking 4 to school in the afternoon to pick up so then she would be over her numbers

she says "some days she has 3 other children and my daughter with her. My daughter often falls asleep in the car ON THE WAY"

TheBTeam
21-09-2009, 08:59 PM
it sounds to me that she is taking 4 to school in the afternoon to pick up so then she would be over her numbers

she says "some days she has 3 other children and my daughter with her. My daughter often falls asleep in the car ON THE WAY"

That is how I read it too,

daisy14
22-09-2009, 08:25 AM
Sorry I didn't make it clear, she has my daughter, 1 other who is under 3 and her own daughter who is 3. She then picks up another from school. I think this is ok?
Thanks again for all your comments, I shall talk to her tomorrow and I'm sure she just pops them in a buggy if they are asleep. Will let you know! x

huggableshelly
22-09-2009, 09:38 AM
yes Daisy that sounds fine to me, most of us can have 3 under 5's at any one time as "the norm"

I hope you have managed to speak with your cm to clear up your concern. as a parent you have full right to question anything at any time and its wonderful to hear that you have a great cm too. Its always hard to word things correctly but I prefer parents to come out with it as they see it rather than trying to think or ways to ask without making it sound as an accusation
as sometimes it comes out wrong no matter how its said.

your child is your most valued possession and having little niggles/concerns will cause you to worry more.

daisy14
03-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone, in the end it came up naturally as she was asleep when I picked her up just after the school run. My childminder said how she had stayed asleep even when transferred to the buggy at school and back into the house later, so of course that's how she does it! I think I was just worrying and had a mental block as to how she would cope!:blush:
Anyway, thanks again for your help!