PDA

View Full Version : Talking Money Over the Phone??? or not?

mumx3
20-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I have had loads of enquiries recently but I am wondering if they are put off by my prices. I am one of the more expensive childminders (by about 25p and hour) in my area, but I think I am justified in asking what I do.

Some people seem to ask how much I charge even before they ask if I have a vacancy or not!

DO you talk money over the phone? Or do you make appointments for them and talk money when they visit?

I need to do anything to get people through the door right now and fill my vacancies!

Blackhorse
20-09-2009, 09:26 PM
so far I have told people over the phone how much I charge if they were asking...
some were colleges though and they tend to pay you the fees anyways (as long as you are not way out of what everyone else charges)
some parents want to know on the phone how much you charge others dont. If they ask I tend to tell them as I am not sure what I would say why I dont want to tell them....I find this more ackward and I am not sure if it might put people off...if they dont know..personally I would be annoyed if I asked someone how much they charge and they didnt tell me...
but on the other hand maybe sometimes people might think differently once they meet you in person and dont mind paying a bit more.... not sure.

so far it hasnt put people off so I am going to continue that way

miffy
20-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I always try and get people to visit me before I discuss money - just think it's better if they can see what they're paying for and you have a chance to chat first.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
20-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Never - I got my fingers burnt once so never never again

Either they come and see me or we don't go any further.

I always say that the rate is determind by different factors and would they like to come along and have coffee to discuss?

If they answer no then it is "bye bye"

Blackhorse
20-09-2009, 09:45 PM
just out of curiosity, what do you tell them if they ask though?
I think I end up telling them as I dont know what else to say..:huh:

Angela234
20-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Only a few times have i been asked about my fee's over the phone then its at the end of the coversation

mrs c
20-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I only tell them over the phone if they ask (no way round this) but do prefer to discuss this when they visit. There is one cmnder who charges 50p per hour less than others in my area yet has more vacancies than the rest of us, so being cheaper may help but does not always guarantee work. Personally I think 25p per hour more than some is not too much extra to be charging. Just hang on in there - hopefully your luck may change.

LittleMissSparkles
21-09-2009, 12:52 AM
I think im the dearest by 25p an hour out of the 3 minders at my school, if they ask i tell them but they usually no im the dearest, i think im worth it xxx

The Juggler
21-09-2009, 06:22 AM
so far I have told people over the phone how much I charge if they were asking...
some were colleges though and they tend to pay you the fees anyways (as long as you are not way out of what everyone else charges)
some parents want to know on the phone how much you charge others dont. If they ask I tend to tell them as I am not sure what I would say why I dont want to tell them....I find this more ackward and I am not sure if it might put people off...if they dont know..personally I would be annoyed if I asked someone how much they charge and they didnt tell me...
but on the other hand maybe sometimes people might think differently once they meet you in person and dont mind paying a bit more.... not sure.

so far it hasnt put people off so I am going to continue that way

same here. I tell if they ask.

miffy
21-09-2009, 06:56 AM
just out of curiosity, what do you tell them if they ask though?
I think I end up telling them as I dont know what else to say..:huh:

I say something like I can't work out their charges until we've discussed their exact requirements so when would they like to come and see me.......... :D

Miffy xx

HELEN10
21-09-2009, 07:39 AM
With Debbie on this one, because in the past it has turned out to be other childminders on the phone!!

HELEN10

grindal
21-09-2009, 07:43 AM
I would explain the same sort of thing that my rates is based on days and hours worked and they really need to come and see me and my setting and discuss their requirements before I can give them a fixed price (all of which is nonsense as I have a basic hourly rate!)

Lily Grace
21-09-2009, 08:11 AM
If anyone calls and the first thing they ask is "have you got any vacancies" then "how much do you charge" then I def would not tell them. I just say I dont discuss my fees over the phone.

Tatjana
21-09-2009, 08:35 AM
I personally don't see the point in the secrecy surrounding how much you charge....even if it's another childminder, so what? How is that going to affect you?

If parents can only afford a certain amount what's the point in having meetings and wasting everyones time if they simply can't afford it?

If they ask I tell them, I know I would find it odd if I was the parent to be told we can only discuss it if you come round.

xx

youarewhatyoueat
21-09-2009, 11:38 AM
I personally don't see the point in the secrecy surrounding how much you charge....even if it's another childminder, so what? How is that going to affect you?

If parents can only afford a certain amount what's the point in having meetings and wasting everyones time if they simply can't afford it?

If they ask I tell them, I know I would find it odd if I was the parent to be told we can only discuss it if you come round.

xx

I agree, Its the same as getting quotes for anything, and who am I to judge how much a parent can afford. I'm more expensive than others near me but I won't work for less and i'm happy with my workload.

Alibali
21-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I've only been asked once over the phone, and that is the only time they haven't come to see me, everyone else that has come to see me has signed up, so from now on I won't discuss fees over the phone:thumbsup:

mumx3
21-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Ok thats it then...I am changing tact. No more giving fees out over the phone.

I will just say I dont discuss fees over the phone and would they like to come and see me so we can discuss exactly what they need and work out a fee.

Lets hope this helps!

Thanks all