PDA

View Full Version : shake it like a cocktail cake - for kids - very easy

Blackhorse
20-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I have a couple of recipes for very tasty, very easy to make cakes that are fun to make.

you put all the ingredients in a container that closes tightly and very well (this is important!!)
once all the ingredients are in you close the container and shake it like you would a pina colada (LOL) for about 20-30 seconds. this will make the cake batter. then you just take a spatula to scrape the bits of the sids of the container..pour the whole thing into a prepared cake tin (prepared = buttered and coated with flour or breadcrumbs) then it goes into a preheated oven at 180C for about 20-30 mins or until a scwer comes out clean if you put it into the cake (as cooking times vary depending on the oven you have and also on what cake tin you use)

now here for the ingredients (this is a lemon cake recipe):

3 cups of flour
7g of baking powder. (at least 1 tsp, I sometimes use up to 2)
1.5 cups of sugar
grated rind of 2 lemons
4 eggs
1 cup oil (use one that doesnt have a strong flavour)
1 cup of sparkling lemon soda (like sprite)

once the cake has cooled you can make icing with 250g of icing sugar and 3-4 tbsp of sprite or you can just sprinkle some icing sugar on top ....

easy peasy lemon squeezy...:D

PS it really works!! (the recipe comes from an austrian baking forum and has been well tried and tested..and it is in my oven now...dd and I just made it)

pic to follow!

Tam's Tribe
20-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Sounds Fab . . . thanks for sharing!!!

Demonjill
20-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Sounds yummy ...............and lots of fun!!:thumbsup:

Alibali
20-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Looking forward to seeing the pics! Hope you enjoy:)

PixiePetal
20-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Sounds good. Do you have a chocolate cake recipe that would work with the cocktail method? :)

Sleeping Baby
20-09-2009, 07:40 PM
You could change lemon rind for coco powder and sprite for cola might work?

Blackhorse
20-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Sounds good. Do you have a chocolate cake recipe that would work with the cocktail method? :)

here are the ingredients for chocolate cake...rest is the same..

2.5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup cocoa powder
5 medium eggs
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup espresso or drinking chocolate (cocoa or ovaltine etc) , cooled

to make it even more chocolaty you can add a cup of chopped good quality chocolate to the mix.

I havent tried this one before but it sounds nice.

PixiePetal
20-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks, off to town tomorrow for CM lunch club and will pop into waitrose after :thumbsup:

Would that be plain flour or self raising do you think? What did you use?

Will see how it turns out :)

sweets
20-09-2009, 09:46 PM
i may be being thick here! BUT how do you measure a cup? lol. just a teacup (havn't got any of those as i'm not posh enough) i only have mugs!

Cazz
20-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Mmm .... I think even I could manage that :laughing: (Well I am married to a chef and as the saying goes "why have a dog and bark yourself"!)

I've never heard of making icing with sprite or cola before - sounds good though :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
20-09-2009, 09:50 PM
i may be being thick here! BUT how do you measure a cup? lol. just a teacup (havn't got any of those as i'm not posh enough) i only have mugs!

I have measuring cups which say 1 cup, half cup, one third of a cup and quarter of a cup. I bought them from betterware as I had no idea what measurement a cup was. Have been really useful and easier than weighing :thumbsup:

Blackhorse
21-09-2009, 06:34 AM

a cup measures about 200-240 ish ml (there are different ones) but as long as you use roughly a cup this size it will be fine (and as long as you use the same cup (or same ml amount) for all your measurement.)
You could take an empty pot of cream or something like that. Or just use your measureing cup and pretend one cup is about 200 to 240ml...

hth

angeldelight
21-09-2009, 06:46 AM
oh they sound lovely Nicole and I am sure the kids would enjoy all that shaking - I just have visions of the lid coming off the container and all of us been covered in chocolate cake :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds great thanks for sharing

Angel xx

miffy
21-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Hmmmn they sound yummy!

Looking forward to seeing the pics

Miffy xx

SandCastles
21-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Sound Yummy and really easy, will give this a go with my lo's

Blackhorse
21-09-2009, 10:11 PM
ok I am going to have to do another one..LOL
my lot scoffed the last one before I could get a picture taken...

here is the picture of another lady who made the cake..to be honest, mind looked just like it though..

http://www.thea.at/forum/showpost.php?p=82872&postcount=41

angeldelight
22-09-2009, 06:07 AM
ok I am going to have to do another one..LOL
my lot scoffed the last one before I could get a picture taken...

here is the picture of another lady who made the cake..to be honest, mind looked just like it though..

http://www.thea.at/forum/showpost.php?p=82872&postcount=41

Pic of the cake looks lovely

Shame I could not understand the words although I did try :laughing:

Angel xx

Blackhorse
23-09-2009, 05:58 PM
made the chocolate cake today with my mindees

it is now called chocolate shaker cake and they loved it!!
they havent tried it yet as we made it for a birthday party we are having tomorrow, but even just helping to prepare it was fab for them..

I had measured out all the ingredients as we were a bit pressed for time as one after schooler leaves quite early...and they were allowed to pour all the ingredients into a big tub...then the lid went on and they were shaking and bouncing through my kitchen in delight...haha..and I was praying the lid stays on.!! but it did.
then they poured it into the tin and off it went into the oven...

will do some chocolate cover for it later and tomorrow we will have nice candles to put onto it...

will make some pics of it tomorrow as well!! but it already looks yummy

PixiePetal
23-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Could you confirm that it was plain flour you used in choc cake as there is added baking powder - don't want to bake a disaster :laughing:

Jules12Wed
23-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Yum both of these cakes sound very yummy i'll give them a go when i've bought the ingredients.

Blackhorse
23-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Could you confirm that it was plain flour you used in choc cake as there is added baking powder - don't want to bake a disaster :laughing:

yes it's plain flour..

the recipe is from austria and we dont get self raising flour there...we always have to add baking powder.
I guess you could use self raising and leave the baking powder but then I wouldnt be sure if it would rise enough...better use plain flour + baking powder...

PixiePetal
23-09-2009, 07:12 PM
yes it's plain flour..

the recipe is from austria and we dont get self raising flour there...we always have to add baking powder.
I guess you could use self raising and leave the baking powder but then I wouldnt be sure if it would rise enough...better use plain flour + baking powder...

Blackhorse
23-09-2009, 08:49 PM
just put a chocolate glazing on top...as it will be a birthday cake for tomorrow

kids will help me decorate it with candles..

once we have cut a slice of I will make another pic of it...

PixiePetal
23-09-2009, 08:51 PM
just put a chocolate glazing on top...as it will be a birthday cake for tomorrow

kids will help me decorate it with candles..

once we have cut a slice of I will make another pic of it...

Looking good :thumbsup: Bet it will taste good too :D