PDA

View Full Version : alternative medicine

charliegee
20-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Hey everyone - sorry for all my questions today

I've been asked to give a herbal product to one of the children I mind

My medicine policy states that all medicines must be in their original packaging - but this is just in a plastic bag! (is a preparation of herbs homemade)

what would you guys do? would you be happy to give the child it....technically speaking it could be anything!! but don't want to discriminate against the parents cultures / beliefs (they are a chinese family)

xxx

Blackhorse
20-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I would get the parents to do a label for you on the bag to state when it was made, how much is to be used and by when it will be out ot date.
I would give it with permission of parents and if I knew what was in it so I could do a bit of checking first...(online that is about the ingredients)

maybe if it makes you feel better also double check with ofsted and see what they say, but I personally wouldnt have a problem doing this if I had the proper information from the parents.

sarah707
20-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I would check with Ofsted AND your insurance company... get their view on it first. :D

charliegee
21-09-2009, 11:05 PM
thank you for your replys...gosh yes - will phone insurance and ofsted and see what they say:)

(just to add - it's medicine for a cough / cold (just incase anyone else had ever had similar?!))

I'm also going to speak to parent again to ask a bit more about it so I understand

miffy
22-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Would be interesting to know what Ofsted's reply is on this.

Miffy xx

uf353432
22-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Chinese are really big on herbal alternatives to medicine. There are quite a few chinese herbalists where I live. I'd have no problems with the correct guidance from a parent. No different from kids been given echinacea etc.

singlewiththree
22-09-2009, 08:33 PM
I remember my friend having this with school. They wouldn't give her daughter homeopathic medicine unless she had a letter from the perscriber. She ended up giving it to her daughter to put in her bag and to take when she needed it.

I don't see why you can't give it to the child as long as it is noted the date/time quantity?

sarah707
22-09-2009, 08:55 PM
I don't see why you can't give it to the child as long as it is noted the date/time quantity?

There have been some dreadful reports over the years of medicine that was doing more harm than good.

I remember a 'miracle' Chinese eczema cream that contained dangerously high doses of steroid.

The British Medical Association do not fully support Chinese herbal medicine either...

http://www.enhc.co.uk/chinese/concerns.htm

Part of the problem is that it's not regulated like the stuff we get from the doctor... if it's herbs in a bag, how do you know they are fresh? How will you know if you give the right potency? What if you mix them up wrongly?

It's a can of worms... especially as we are liable for the next 21 1/2 years!

That's why I suggested checking with the insurance company. Get their say so in writing first :D