PDA

View Full Version : feeling a bit sad and a bit overwhelmed!

charliegee
19-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Hello everyone - sorry for what is likely to be a big post!

firstly sorry that I'm mostly on this forum asking questions.....when I get a bit more confident and experienced I promise to be better with answering questions where I can.

I'm feeling a bit down tonight as I'm about to start my first full week and am having a bit of a freak out I'm not doing it right and was wondering if you could check my list and see if there is anything I've missed or am not doing right.

I'm sorted (I think!) with my policys, risk assessments etc but it is the actual planning / EYFS that I'm getting in a tizz over.

I plan on doing / have in place

1 - a long term planning folder which I've split into the areas of learning and have various activities filed inside (like those that are kindly in the free resources here) and a sheet outlining yearly holidays for the month that I will try to use for my themes and plan my activities around (eg december / christmas...January / winter...Feb / Valentines....)

2 - a Learning Journey for each child where I have a cover sheet for "all about me" and again split into (with dividers) the areas of learning and plan on filling observations under each various catagory and including a "mini diary" - like a short paragraph about what we did that day which I will review on a monthly basis and check which stage child is at / how they have moved on...

I plan on (trying!) go go with the flow with childrens interests but aim on doing one adult led activity per minded day (which I get from my long term planning folder)

does this sound right?

I'm totally not understanding which form observations / planning should take dispite looking at the EYFS cd and even had a bit of a cry tonight as I just feel totally lost and a bit out of my depth!

I interpreted the whole EYFS to be that my setting is to work around the 4 principles (demonstrated to Mrs O by my policys and practices in place) and planning / observations is specifically about the areas of learning

is this right?

sorry for long post but got so sad I thought....right...I know some ladies (and gents!) who can help!

xxx:blush:

Tinglesnark
20-09-2009, 05:30 AM
:eek:
ive not done any of this! wow! u have given me a good place to start so thank you!
it is scary isnt it? i am newly registered and so i dont know the answers but i wanted to answer you all the same.
will we ever get the hang of this EYFS stuff?!?

westbrom44
20-09-2009, 06:12 AM
Hi, I do medium term planning which I do every term and plan the sorts of activities I will do for that term.

I only do one adult initiated activity a week and even then I dont always do what I have planned as I go with what the children want to do. I then write on my planning sheet what we have actually done during that week, which I fill in at the end of the week under each area of development.

I think you will find out if your plans are working as you go along.

Good luck.

Nikki's stars
20-09-2009, 06:53 AM
:clapping: Well done for being so organised!! It sounds like you have everything covered :jump for joy: good luck for this week - it can be very daunting - take one day at a time and be prepared for the unexpected!!
Enjoy :laughing:
This site is fab - everybody is so helpful :laughing:

Nikki xxxx

singlewiththree
20-09-2009, 07:08 AM
You have more than me, I just have an A4 book with a sheet in the front of holidays and then each day I plan what activities to get out and link it to the EYFS. I don't do a planned activity each day, it depends on the ages of the children, their interests and moods.

good luck

charliegee
20-09-2009, 07:40 AM
aww thanks so much guys - read your replys this morning and put a big smile on my face. Honestly been worried so much.

so do you think that is okay for the EYFS? I've been getting in such a state about it all - thanks for your replys

xxx

hello kitty
20-09-2009, 08:02 AM
What you are doing sounds great. As for the obs, start by just logging WOW moments, you know, when you think "Wow, mindee just did that" and then plan next steps. Don't get too bogged down with it, you just need to show how you would progress the child. It is nothing you would not do with your own children but you are just writing it down.

So, write obs, link to EYFS plan next steps then evaluate how they did.

hth :)

v 1461
20-09-2009, 09:26 AM
hello,

It is more than what I am doing anyway.......I have mainly babies: 12 months old, 14 m and 16 m so I don't think long or medium planning is appropriate.
I have a daily diary with all the things we did through the day: meals, sleep, activities, interests, special things the child did...
I make one obs every or every other week and I highlight the areas of eyfs. Ex: make marks with finger paints, being creative..
Hpe I am doing the right thing anyway
v

sarah707
20-09-2009, 10:53 AM
I think that sounds great!

It's very similar to the way I work :D

Daddy Day Care
20-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Sounds like your doing great to me, and if your doing it a similar way to Sarah your deff doing it right :)

And dont worry about always asking questions, you asking questions helps others out, some who might not like to ask and some who havent even thought about what your asking (if that makes sense)

gareth
xx

charliegee
20-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Sounds like your doing great to me, and if your doing it a similar way to Sarah your deff doing it right :)

And dont worry about always asking questions, you asking questions helps others out, some who might not like to ask and some who havent even thought about what your asking (if that makes sense)

gareth
xx

wow you've really put the biggest smile on my face (and I'm very chuffed to be doing a similar thing to Sarah...I'm going to buy some ebooks when I have a bit more money through! I must say Sarah....this forum is amazing for help!)

You all give such good advise - I was honestly so worried that I had totally missed the plot with it all. You've really helped set my mind at rest.

This forum is so nice and friendly I must say! :clapping:

(editing now as...forgot to say thank you everyone! you're stars!) x