PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about locking doors and gates.

Toothfairy
19-09-2009, 07:35 PM
I would like to know what you all do regarding locking your doors and gates.

My front door is locked and has a chain across, thats OK.

Back door - Do you leave unlocked so children are free to go in and out of the garden if they want to or do you lock it?
If its locked and the key hung up, is this wasting time in an event of a fire?

Garden Gate - It's Pad locked so people cannot get into the garden from the street but again if I had to use backdoor and garden gate as a means of escape from fire, would the gate being padlocked be a hindrence?

What do Ofsted prefer?

Hebs
19-09-2009, 07:37 PM
front door locked key hanging up nearby

same for back door with the garden gate padlocked and the key with the back door key :thumbsup:

specks4
19-09-2009, 07:40 PM
front door locked key hung up, garden door normally open depending on weather, my back gate is padlocked but key is hung up by garden door so easy to access.

Im sure ofsted would find this ok

Princess Sara
19-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Front door locked with key on hook nearby but out of sight if looking through the window, same with back door. Garden gate locked from garden side, slide across bolt thing so can get out easily in an emergency.

I don't let children go in and out freely unless the back door is safely propped open as they ALWAYS trap their fingers in there... I will always let them out if they ask, and provide garden time morning and after lunch.

Toothfairy
19-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks, I was just asking because I thought I read somewhere that Ofsted like the children to have free access to the garden.
So that they can choose for themselves if they would like to play in the garden and be free to come in and out. Maybe I'm getting myself confused - which does'nt take much :D

FussyElmo
19-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Front door locked and keys usually in pocket. Back door open as much as possible to offer free flow but garden gate padlocked at all times - key to this lock on with my front door keys.

When ofsted came to me I hadnt locked my front door:blush:

helenlc
19-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Front door is locked with sliding bolt right at the top.

Back door and conservatory door are locked with keys and keys stored up high by the door. Weather permitting, both are open for free access to the garden.

I thought I read somewhere about free access to garden. I have a 2 yr old and 16 month and next month a 9 month old. Sometimes it is not feasible to have the door open all the time. But I do try, weather permitting.

miffy
19-09-2009, 08:49 PM
My garden gate is bolted, high up out of children's reach but not padlocked.

Front door is locked and keys are usually in the lock. Back door is only open if we are going in and out of the garden, otherwise locked and keys nearby.

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
19-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Front door locked, keys nearby.

Back door bolted or chain on. It's a farmhouse with garden all round so it is not safe to have the whole garden accessible - tractors going by right outside.

I have a large area fenced off for me to use which kids can't escape from, I need to go out with them for access to this area - so no free flow, for safety sake. Ofsted will have to lump it, safety first. ;)

aly
19-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Front door locked and keys usually in pocket. Back door open as much as possible to offer free flow but garden gate padlocked at all times - key to this lock on with my front door keys.

When ofsted came to me I hadnt locked my front door:blush:

Same here :thumbsup:

cher25
19-09-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I was just asking because I thought I read somewhere that Ofsted like the children to have free access to the garden.
So that they can choose for themselves if they would like to play in the garden and be free to come in and out. Maybe I'm getting myself confused - which does'nt take much :D

I was told this by a cousin that works in a nursery. They have to have their doors open into the play area at all times.
They even had to rearrange the nursery layout for it.

christine e
20-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Hi

My front door is locked and so is my side door, I have patio doors that give access to garden that are normally closed but not locked, my garden gate has a bolt at the top and half way down. My friend was told my her Ofsted inspector that a bolt at the top was accessible by anyone puting their hand over the top of the gate and that she needed another lower down.

Christine

mama2three
20-09-2009, 07:05 AM
ds3 has just started a couple of afts at nursery , they have a system where you can only go out once and if you come in you cant go back out. dont know how ofsted will let them away with it though.
locking my front door is the one thing im struggling to get into the habit of doing. back door is almost always open to the garden ,back gate is bolted side gate locked and spare key to it hidden. If the back door is closed my 14mth mindee just stands and shouts at it! really not looking forward to the weather turning.

singlewiththree
20-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Back door - Do you leave unlocked so children are free to go in and out of the garden if they want to or do you lock it?
If its locked and the key hung up, is this wasting time in an event of a fire?

I leave my back door unlocked. I have a hook on it to the wall outside to it stays open even in windy days. I have a finger shield on the hinge as well. I keep the keys in it and if I do lock it I hang them on a hook next to the door.

Garden Gate - It's Pad locked so people cannot get into the garden from the street but again if I had to use backdoor and garden gate as a means of escape from fire, would the gate being padlocked be a hindrence?

I have my gate just bolted and ofsted were happy with this. I have a bolt at the top of the street side and at the middle of my garden side. I bolt both but I am able to lean over and open the top from my side but an outsider couldn't reach the middle from the street. I have included it in my fire risk assessment and said we would walk to the front of the house if necessary.

What do Ofsted prefer?

I think it depends who you get what they prefer :rolleyes:

little chickee
20-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Having free access to the garden is great in theory but not always practical - i dont really want my just turned 1 yo going out into the garden unsupervised. if im busy making lunch or changing a bum i cant have him wandering out into the garden on his own - my garden is un-escapable but there are chuckies, bushes, sand etc that can all go in his mouth.

and in the winter i really dont want my back door open all day so we are all shivering in the kitchen. I just make sure that we spend time inside and out equally depending on weather etc.

Front door is always kept locked with key nearby, back door is closed but unlocked, gareden gates are bolted closed with a bolt that the kids can't reach.

ChocolateChip
20-09-2009, 01:40 PM
My front door has one of those higher up key latch locks so it is always locked from an outsider, there are bolts aswell but I don't use them. I have occasionally put the chain on and left it ajar but secured iyswim on a really hot day to let some breeze in, I have stairgates across the door to front hall and kitchen so lo's are contained in the lounge.
Back gate has a high up slide bolt, difficult to access from outside, this is always locked. Back door is patio door, not always locked, after schoolies tend to go in and out as they please but lo's only go out when I am with them, as the garden goes round the side and I need to keep an eye on them.

The freeflow thing is a nice idea but the layout of my house is not suitable as
lo's would have to cross my kitchen to get outside, not ideal!
It might be different if say I had a playroom or lounge that backed straight on to the garden but as it is it's just not safe or practical so we just go out as often as we can.

Toothfairy
21-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your input :thumbsup:

nemo97
21-09-2009, 09:47 AM
For the gate I use a combination lock. Regular visitors and parents
know the code so I dont have to go out and unlock when
parents arrive to pick drop off and pick up. :thumbsup:

Ripeberry
21-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm a jailer :laughing: I keep the keys on me at all times on a length of chain.
The back gate is locked with a combination padlock high up and the sliding door to the back garden has a key hanging at the top.
Kids have free access to the garden, great in this weather, but it's gonna get chillly later in the year....brrr, so not sure how much 'free access' I can give.