PDA

View Full Version : I've become a Support Childminder!

Sam
19-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello Folks :)

I don't think I have posted here before, although I lurk !

I have just been given the details of the first childminder applicant that I am going to support. I have phoned her and left my number and am waiting for her to call back.

I was thinking of making up a pack of useful information, but wasn't sure if this was agood idea or not as potential childminders are probably drowning in "useful information" ! Do you think this would make the relationship too formal? Would it just be better to meet up either at my house or at toddlers and have a casual chat?

I didn't have a support childminder, so don't have a clue what is expected of me from the childminder applicants, but want to be as helpful as possible.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks, Sam.

Pauline
19-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Hi Sam and welcome, glad you have decided to join and give up the lurking :clapping:

I am a support minder too and have, not so much a pack, but a couple of sheets of basic information, things like required policies, things you can claim against tax, useful websites (this one!! :laughing:) but not too much, as like you say they are often drowning in paperwork.

I think it is nice to keep it informal but make it clear that they can contact you whenever they need help - I find some say they didn't like to bother me, but that is why I am here!

Good luck with it, I find it a very rewarding venture and have made some good friends. :thumbsup:

Sam
19-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks Pauline. I am really looking forward to being able to help people as they start-out. I wish I had had someone there for me! I really felt like I was feeling in the dark :(

Three years on a lot of it is second nature, but I'm still learning! :)

Sam.

mama2three
19-09-2009, 04:33 PM
as a new childminder Ill tell you what id like most! If you invited me round to your home so i could see how you actually work , and i could ask to see your paperwork that would be a godsend. After a few weeks Id repay the favour and you could come to mine , have a look at where i was and point me in the right direction where needed. This website is wonderful but sometimes it helps to see everything in place and then Id adapt to suit my own setting.

Pauline
19-09-2009, 04:39 PM
as a new childminder Ill tell you what id like most! If you invited me round to your home so i could see how you actually work , and i could ask to see your paperwork that would be a godsend. After a few weeks Id repay the favour and you could come to mine , have a look at where i was and point me in the right direction where needed. This website is wonderful but sometimes it helps to see everything in place and then Id adapt to suit my own setting.

So good to get feedback and ideas! and I'm glad to say that is exactly what I do :thumbsup:

Of course if the person doesn't want to come they don't have to! but they are more than welcome to come and visit to see me and how I work :)

babs
19-09-2009, 05:08 PM
hi my support childminder is great . she sent me a letter tellin me all about her and how she started out and lots of useful things like all local groups i could take children too, how much it was to get in etc. also once i had done all my paper work she overlooked it and put little post it notes on where i had worded things wrong or missed things out. also she went though and told me what courses to go on as to what would be useful.she really was and still is a great help and the little info pack was a great help to me as i didnt realise we had so many playgroups in our area.

Cazz
19-09-2009, 09:00 PM
I wish there were support childminders in my area! Don't suppose you are in my area? lol!

I have a friend who was on my ICP and first aid courses who I speak to but I can honestly say that if I hadn't found this forum well over a year ago I don't think I would have carried on with my registration - it would have been far too daunting and confusing - I felt completely alone after my ICP course!

Still confused about some things (mainly EYFS :rolleyes: ) but I know I can ask questions on here and some nice person will give me an answer :D

I agree that it would be really helpful to visit the home of an established childminder as you could really get the feel of how things work.

Well done for wanting to help the newbies - hope you enjoy it!

miffy
19-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Congratulations Sam and welcome to the forum - hope you'll enjoy both the forum and your new role!:)

Miffy xx

Leannetrim
19-09-2009, 10:27 PM
my support childminder is fab don't think I would for have got as far as I have without her. I attend a childminding group that she does so I have weekly contact with her. She is always a there. i mostly email rather than call as I know she is working.

I am now waiting for a visit from her and my ncma development officier to make sure I have everything in place and what else i may need before my grading inspection.

Well done on your new role just make weekly contact with your applicant. If I don't see my support childminder for a week she rings to make sure all is ok.

The Juggler
20-09-2009, 08:30 AM

I'm not a support childminder (we don't have a network) but people I've known became childminders and I did exactly that. Took no work on my part but I shared what I did and how I worked and they could take away from that what they wanted. They called me with queries about parent issues/fees and charging and I was just able to say this is what I would do. I had a friend who did the same for me when i started and I know how important it is (more use than our current DW would be anyhow!)

christine e
20-09-2009, 09:44 AM
I too am a support childminder. I have a check list that I go through with new childminders with things on such as 'have you contacted inland rev, NIC'
and think like ELC discount card, nursery milk, have you got your EYFS pack, done ICP and first aid, then I tell them about groups within the community and how to access training locally.

Cx

FussyElmo
20-09-2009, 04:07 PM
The funding for support childminders has been cancelled in this area which I think is a real shame - would have done it like a shot and wished I had someone to help out when i first started:)

Cazz
20-09-2009, 09:06 PM
As I mentioned, as far as I'm aware there aren't support childminders in my area, but I put an advert on Netmums on Thursday (the day my certificate arrived!) and I've had a reply tonight from another childminder who works from the same school inviting me to the local childminding group - she's the secretary.

It was a really nice message and although I know of her, I don't know her personally. I was planning to go along but it will be much easier now that someone will be expecting me!