PDA

View Full Version : I think I might have stuffed up.

crazybones
27-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Mother of 11 year old rings this am to ask if her son can stay here all day as he has twisted his ankle and cant go to school. I said ok but what about school run - I have to carry on to shops as I have no nappies and in total I would be an hour. She said it would be ok. I also have nursery run at 12.15 - 45 mins and pm school run 30 mins. She seems to think it will be ok. Have asked my named contact to come and sit with him but she cant get here till 9 and I will have left him 30 mins alone by then. I have left my own 10 year old for 30 mins doing school run by himself but this is not my own. Oh poo I am panicking now and wish I had just said no. He is sensible and wont touch anything or open the door or anything but oooooooooooooh :panic:

Annie x

oakie dokie
27-02-2008, 07:55 AM
sorry wouldnt leave my own 12 year old alone, legally your responsible for them and if anything went wrong it would be your responsibilty, wouldnt risk it sorry,

hazelx

miffy
27-02-2008, 07:58 AM
I don't think you should leave this child alone in your house - you have accepted responsibility for him and mum may forget she said OK should anything happen

This is not your problem I would ring and tell them you can't have him

Miffy xx

custardcream
27-02-2008, 08:02 AM
I was told a while ago by a policewoman that there is no legal age that a child can be left alone, BUT if any thing should happen while they are alone then you are held responsible/liable.

Wouldnt ever leave a minded child on there own though.

crazybones
27-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I have quickly typed out a form to say this is not part of my normal practice and I take no responsibility. All the responsibility is on her bascially and If I am not happy I can ring her immediately or make the child come with me.

Annie

sarah707
27-02-2008, 08:06 AM
I have quickly typed out a form to say this is not part of my normal practice and I take no responsibility. All the responsibility is on her bascially and If I am not happy I can ring her immediately or make the child come with me.

Annie

Good idea!

I would also do some sort of behaviour agreement with him... I will not touch the cooker / use or answer the phone / answer the door / peer out of the window / take my eyes off my gameboy... that sort of thing! :D

Heaven Scent
27-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Oh I don't know what about asking somone who lives near you if you could walk their kids to school so they could be at yours for 8.30 and arrange to walk with somone else and then you'd be covered.

Celine

angeldelight
27-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Personally I would not leave a child this age alone either

But I have a friend who works for social services and they get calls all the time about this

She told me more or less what this website says

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/HelpAndAdvice/Parentsandcarers/HomeAlone/homealone_wda35965.html

I think you are dealing with it well Annie the parent obviously knows what her child is capable of I guess

Just make sure she signs all forms

Good luck

Angel xx

crazybones
27-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Well she has dropped him off. She was quite happy to sign the form and also said she thinks he is faking it and so if I can get him to walk with me to and from school that is fine with her. Think I will leave him for first school run as my friend thinks she can get her for 8.45 and if I leave 5 mins late that is only 10 mins and then I will get him to walk to nursery at 12.15 and see how that goes. Oh why cant I just say NO to people. She just threw me phoning that early and not giving me time to get advice from you lot.

Annie x

Annie_T
27-02-2008, 09:14 AM
oh what a position be in hun, least u got it sorted as much as you could .

hope all goes well and he no trouble for you x

wendywu
27-02-2008, 09:31 AM
I was also told that there is no legal minimum age for leaving children alone, but if they come to harm the the parents can be charged with neglect. I was told this on my first childminding course. So i cannot understand why the Mc Canns have not been charge with leaving children on their own, as one of them certainly did come to serious harm.

But no i would not leave a minded 11year old on their own in my home.

miffy
27-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Well she has dropped him off. She was quite happy to sign the form and also said she thinks he is faking it and so if I can get him to walk with me to and from school that is fine with her. Think I will leave him for first school run as my friend thinks she can get her for 8.45 and if I leave 5 mins late that is only 10 mins and then I will get him to walk to nursery at 12.15 and see how that goes. Oh why cant I just say NO to people. She just threw me phoning that early and not giving me time to get advice from you lot.

Annie x

It is difficult to know what to do sometimes when you're put on the spot - at least you've covered yourself

Miffy xx

Banana
27-02-2008, 09:40 AM
You did well to get a form signed. I think thats the best thing you could have done. Personally I would have said no but thats because I dont trust any child being left alone, no matter what the age. The always find something!!!!!!

But hope it all goes without a hitch and next time I'd try and say no.

xxxxxx

wendywu
27-02-2008, 09:44 AM
You could always put him in a buggy, then you would find out if he was faking:laughing: Or make him hop round to school:laughing:

angeldelight
27-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I always think the worst anyway

Imagine a really good well behaved child being left alone

Then an electrical fault in another room - causing a fire

Trapping the child

That is just one of the things I think about and the reason I would never leave a child home alone

I would never forgive myself

xxx

crazybones
27-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Well here is the latest. Pooped myself all the way to school. Met next door neighbour who went for my nappies :D Half ran all the way home. When I got here my named contact was here and said she saw me turn the corner at the end of road as she arrived so he was left max of 2 mins. Have since remembered that for pm school run I have parents evening. 1st appt at 3.15 so have rung mum and told her I am not happy with leaving him and he is just going to have to come with me. She said fine. His face is tripping him now though. :rolleyes: I will never do this again and am making up a policy stating I will never consider leaving a child of any age alone, no matter what the circumstances. I do feel foolish though for not saying NO in the first place.
Thanks for all the advice girls.

Annie x