PDA

View Full Version : downstairs toilet built - tax claim?

fridaysoff
18-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm sure this kind of question has come up before:blush:

I had a downstairs toilet built this year, can I claim anything for tax? I have 4 toilet training this summer and thought my stair carpet could do with a break!

(long shot I know - and no I can't prove its solely for childminding use!)

any way I can wangle this one?! :D

cabby
18-09-2009, 03:14 PM
dont think you can, when i had a lady from IR to help with my first tax return she said i couldnt claim for work done on the house for minding if it added any value to it, something to do with if we sold it and made a profit we would then have to work out how much of a profit the work made us, then would have to pay it back to the tax man or something like that:blush:

im proberly completely wrong though:laughing: :laughing:

Jules12Wed
18-09-2009, 03:31 PM
What about if it doesn't actually add value, for instance if you redecorate your downstairs toilet to make it more child friendly but no actual value will be added to your property?

sarah707
18-09-2009, 03:42 PM
It's a really complicated subject and one I would suggest you talk to the tax office about.

Jules I would say your question comes under the 10% wear and tear allowance... but if you bought a step to allow access to the toilet or you got a new bunch of hand towels or a dispenser you could put those through.

Hth :D

miffy
18-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm sure this kind of question has come up before:blush:

I had a downstairs toilet built this year, can I claim anything for tax? I have 4 toilet training this summer and thought my stair carpet could do with a break!

(long shot I know - and no I can't prove its solely for childminding use!)

any way I can wangle this one?! :D

Instinct tells me no but there's no harm in asking the tax office.

Miffy xx

sweets
18-09-2009, 04:54 PM
oh i'd kill for a downstairs loo:laughing: :laughing:

Chatterbox Childcare
18-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I don't think so

Monkey1
18-09-2009, 10:08 PM
i disagree....i think if you have the risk assessments in place previously.....ie taking children upstairs to the toilet/ letting them go unsupervised etc then putting in a downstairs toilet to minimise risks etc it should be put through as a full expense!.......you just need to ask yourself....would i have put it in if i wasn't minding??????.....yes.... a %age....no 100%

HomefromHome
18-09-2009, 10:21 PM
i disagree....i think if you have the risk assessments in place previously.....ie taking children upstairs to the toilet/ letting them go unsupervised etc then putting in a downstairs toilet to minimise risks etc it should be put through as a full expense!.......you just need to ask yourself....would i have put it in if i wasn't minding??????.....yes.... a %age....no 100%

good point!:clapping:

Chatterbox Childcare
19-09-2009, 04:31 PM
If you do that it becomes a asset to the house and you will pay capital gains when you come to sell it.

I would phone the IR for clarification but let us know.

fridaysoff
23-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks girls I will ring them tomorrow and let you know (got 4 toilet training on potties right now 2 upstairs and two down - I am worn out!! And do other people let their mindees walk about the house with pants off during the day is family say they can only be successful on potty when bottom half naked??

I've got babies crawling about - we'll have potties on heads, treasure basket contents in potties and "sensory" experiences on the sofa!!?

I have had to draw the line:eek: :eek: :eek:

Chatterbox Childcare
30-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Any news from the IR?