PDA

View Full Version : When to send home

lissy
18-09-2009, 12:16 PM
I had a mindee this morning who when she was dropped off her mum told me she had been really unsettled in the night and had calpol at 1am, the mum thought she may have had a temperature this morning but when checked it was ok. So she came to me at 8am, she slept 9 til 10am and then woke up screaming, i changed her nappy and her skin felt really warm so i checked her temperature which was showing as 39 on my forehead thermometer. she was really hot and crying so i gave her calpol and tried her bottle which she wouldnt have. She was still really hot and crying 20 mins later so i called the parents to pick up. she is 7 months old.

Anyway i picked this mindees brother up from school at lunchtime and he has just been picked up from me and the dad brought the mindee 7mth old from this morning with him and said shes fine now.

I feel bad that i called them home if there was nothing wrong with her, so after some thoughts on when you call the parents ??

LisaMcNally09
18-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I would have done exactly the same!!!

Last week my 2yo mindee was sick all over me!! I rang and asked to get him picked up......the next day nana said he was fine when he got home and maybe next time I should hang on to him a bit to see if he was really ill!!:eek:

miffy
18-09-2009, 12:22 PM
You did the right thing - there were already signs when she was dropped off that she might be ill but the calpol parents had given before bringing her were probably masking that.

Don't let the dad make you feel guilty - you have a duty to safeguard all the children in your care and yourself!

Miffy xx

little chickee
18-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I would have sent that child home too. She was obviously unwell -She probably had been given calpol at home and in my experience kids who seem unwell can perk up quite considerably once the calpol kicks in and then go down hill rapidly as it wears off so it was probably this that made the wee one seem well.

little chickee
18-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry miffy - must have posted at same time but at least we both agree!!

helenlc
18-09-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree - I would have called too. Calpol definitely disguises the symptoms that a child is ill and parents often think they are fine. Which they are - until it wears off!

I once had to call a parent as child had diarrhoea nappy about 11.30. When I said what it was, Mum said Ooh that came on quick. It was as if she didnt believe me. But I said Well diarrhoea can start any time. She reluctantly came and picked up.:angry:

youarewhatyoueat
18-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Be ready in the morning to be told she's had calpol again in the night and I bet they dose her up in the morning again.

Hey, just realised its saturday in the morning,lol:laughing:

little daisies
18-09-2009, 01:02 PM
of course the child seemed fine it had had calpol. as for the child being sent home for being sick and then came back the next day, i would of refused to have the child for 72 hours as i`ve been informed that is what we are supposed to do maybe i`m wrong. its not our job to look after sick children its the parents which is what some of the parents seen to forget

Alibali
18-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I agree with pps, calpol has kicked in! You definitely did the right thing:thumbsup:

madasahatter
18-09-2009, 01:15 PM
My 8 month old mindee was as right as rain yesterday morning, playing, laughing, ate all her lunch as normal. She then slept for longer than normal in the afternoon, I woke her after 2 hours to do school run when she normally sleeps 1.5 hours. She was really unsettled, wouldn't drink her milk, barely touched her tea, checked her temp and it was showing 39 and she was becoming listless. Phoned mum who collected her within minutes and managed to get an emergency doctors appointment. Baby had really bad tonsilitis.

You were definitely right to send your mindee home.