PDA

View Full Version : really testing me!!

chewy sweets
18-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Got one mindee who's 3 and is really testing me. He's not potty trained yet and is still in pull ups. Parents now want me to potty train him which is fine.
Told them to put a stop to the pull ups straight away and put him in pants.
He was good fr a few days and parents were amazed when the 1st day in pants with me he was dry all day.

My problem is he refuses to pee on the potty now. He'll sit on it now problem but the second he stands up to get off he pees everywhere.
He so obviously wanted to go but is holding it in for some reason.

Driving me a bit mad to be honest changed his trousers 3 times this morning already!!!

Any advice greatly appreciated!!:thumbsup:

miffy
18-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Will he stand up and wee in the toilet or sit on the toilet. It might be, if he's done a big wee on the potty and it's splashed up on to his legs or bottom and he doesn't like it or most likely he's just enjoying his new control over his body!

Miffy xx

chewy sweets
18-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Will he stand up and wee in the toilet or sit on the toilet. It might be, if he's done a big wee on the potty and it's splashed up on to his legs or bottom and he doesn't like it or most likely he's just enjoying his new control over his body!

Miffy xx

Does exactly the same if i put him on the toilet! Am starting to pull my hair out now!

miffy
18-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Well he's obviously got the control so you don't want it to become a power struggle.

If you can rule out any sort of infection then look at when he started doing this to see if there's a trigger - is he after attention do you think?

You could try a reward chart if he does use the potty to wee in.

Whatever you do you need parents to do the same at home.

Sorry if not much help

Miffy xx

LisaMcNally09
18-09-2009, 12:16 PM
My dd was like that!! In fact exactly the same!!!

I did a rewards chart....sat down and explained what it was for and when she would get a star!! (ie she went on the potty)

If she went on potty/toilet i made such a fuss of her (way over the top) that she would get a star for her chart!! Then when she had an accident I didnt make a big deal of it but explained that next time she needed to go try and use potty and she'd get a star!!!

hth

helenlc
18-09-2009, 12:49 PM
I would go with the reward chart. He would appear to have control given that he is NOT doing it when he sits on the potty.

I agree that it could be a control thing - both with his body and perhaps with you. The reward chart should nip it in the bud before it becomes a complete power struggle.

How about those floating ball things that you sit in the toilet and the boys have to "take aim" at them when they wee? Not sure I am a fan myself but might help this one. Not sure where you get them from but an ordinary ping pong ball should do the same job.

:thumbsup:

little chickee
18-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Are you just pulling trousres down so when he stands up he wees on them? if so first thing to do is to completly remove trousres and pants so he cant wee on them. then as some one said a sticker chart for weeing in potty .

would he be able to stand up to wee in the toilet - you can put a ball in there for him to aim at.

little chickee
18-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Sorry helenlc - cross posting again - i;ve been doing that all afternoon!

youarewhatyoueat
18-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Have you tried a timer to distract him, ask him to sit and watch the sand.

chewy sweets
18-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Now i am stuck because we already have a reward chart and those floating balls to go in the toilet!!

He has peed on the toilet since i posted this morning. Just spoken to his mum as she rang me and forgot to tell me this morning that he was wetting himself all day yestarday. She said it was nearly every 15 mins. I mentioned he may have a urine infection and she said she's going to see if she can take him to the doctors!

Thanks for everyone's replies! :thumbsup:

Alibali
18-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Not exactly in line with healthy eating policy, but if the reward chart doesn't work, would a chocolate button or 2? He obviously has control.

Ripeberry
18-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Ha, ha, chocolate buttons....worked a treat with my daughters :D :thumbsup:

grindal
18-09-2009, 05:24 PM
:laughing: :laughing: I'm from the chocolate button school of potty training too!! DS 1 did not use a potty though he preferred to use the toilet - which is a pain if you only have an upstairs one :panic:

singlewiththree
18-09-2009, 05:50 PM
My sister has had a nurse round from the HV as its taken a year and she is still wetting herself. She has used smarties as a reward so she can pick a colour and the nurse has told her to count to 30 with her on the toilet then she can get off if she really doesn't want one.

Sarahbelle
18-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I used smarties with my two. Worked a treat!:thumbsup: