PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!

little miss chatterbox
17-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok, I think I'm struggling with my planning so thought I'd open myself up on here, let you know what I do and see what you all think!

I have bought a couple of Sarah's books and am planning to read them properly tonight but am still struggling on the aspect of planning!

I have two lo's girl aged 1 and boy aged 22 months.

The girl understandably doesn't have any interests as such so I plan much to her senses, treasure baskets, tresure items in the tough spot, mirrors etc but the biggest problem I have with her is that everything goes in her mouth!

I also have an activity cube and a fisher price learn and play house which she loves and I plan them in but to be honest she can use them anytime.

The boy is my biggest problem, I have him 3 days a week and his only interest really is cars or anything vehicular (is that a word?)! so I plan playing with cars, getting the train track out, playing with the ride on cars outside, going for a walk to see the trains and busses (we have a trainline go past our house) and that is really it.

I tried doing arts and crafts with him but he had no interest, he wanted to play with the cars and if I try planning anything else in for him his attention lasts a couple of minutes and then he moves on.

So my question is, is this enough for him and am i doing it right? I can't see how I can plan to all the development goals just by planning car stuff with him!

I am also restricted in time during the day as I'm sure most of us are! he arrives 5 mins before we go to school in the morning so he's usually straight in and straight out. Then we do the sch and nursery run and then he usually has a free play session before nap time for anything from 10 mins to 1/2 an hour depending on how tired he is the he naps for around 2 hrs. Then we pick my daughter up from nursery, come home and have lunch and then we've usually got 1.5-2 hrs to do a planned activity before picking my eldest up from school. And then depending on how long it takes us to walk home we have 30-45 mins before he goes home!

I have attached my planning sheet which is very basic, is it too basic?

As I said, I am planning on reading Sarah's books tonight or tomorrow but any other help or advice will be appreciated! I am due my ofsted in Jan and I want to have it nailed!

Thank you!

Edit by Pauline : attachment deleted as posters request :)

Trouble
17-09-2009, 06:47 PM
looks fine to me in the 3rd coloumn i would write the next steps

hang on

Trouble
17-09-2009, 06:48 PM
you could add in there about counting cars and the colours of them/ big cars little cars etc

what do you think?

margimum
17-09-2009, 06:50 PM
For a car crafty activity you could run the car wheels in paints and onto paper.
Or in sand, gloop glitter etc.
He can count, sort into sets, colours etc all with cars:)
I had a mindee obsessed with trains and we managed (pre eyfs!) to cover all aspects of development using train related activities!!:clapping: :clapping:

misst104
17-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I did an activity the other day which involved printing with the toy cars. I put out large trays with paint in and the children dipped in different toy cars and made marks on paper by running the paint covered wheels along. Great fun!! My ds2 is obsessed with cars and loved it! :thumbsup: Looked pretty too :)

xxx jo

sarah707
17-09-2009, 07:49 PM
That looks ok...

Activity linked to child's interests...

Eyfs assessment...

Next steps in planning to enhance the child's interests...

Nice to see an evaluation bit as well... how the activity went, how you might change it next time etc.

If anything you read doesn't make sense you know where I am :D

hello kitty
17-09-2009, 09:18 PM
That looks good to me I like it. :)

little miss chatterbox
18-09-2009, 07:24 AM
brill thanks everyone! was starting to get in panic mode thinking I wasn't doing enough or doing it right! So do you think planning one activity in during the day is enough?

thanks for your tips on car related crafts! that might make him more interested if he's using cars!

Thanks again!

carlen222
25-01-2010, 06:51 PM
ahhh.... we did the rolling trucks through paint just before xmas and printing the tracks onto paper, hadnt thought about writing this down as observation etc. the only reason we did it was because wee one loves vehicles!!! excellent, ill need to write down that one!!!! trying to get my head around obs!!! xx