PDA

View Full Version : I couldnt stop him crying long enough to fee him

sarah32
17-09-2009, 11:27 AM
I had a 2nd in settling in session yesterday for a 9 month little boy thats starting with me on monday and will be full time so wanted to have a session with his sleeps and feed times to get use to them.

He came to me at 9am and started crying staight away so we went for a walk down to the park with him crying most of the way then all of sudden he was asleep.

He woke up after 30 minutes and started crying again so took him out of buggy and sat him on my lap to watch the other children playing, carried on crying, tried giving him a bottle and had a bit, tried snack that was provided but wouldnt stop crying long enough for me to feed him.

Came home, sat on the floor with him, started getting tired again but was hoping to give him lunch and then put him down, tried to give him lunch a bit earlier as getting really tired but just kept spitting it out and choking, food supplied by mum in jar.

Decided he was too tired so put him down in travel cot, cried for a bit and went asleep but was mking these funny noises in his sleep like he had wind so didnt really settle. After 10 mintues he was awake again but still crying and tired, so transfereed him to buggy as got the feeling that is where he sleeps with mummy.

Wouldnt stop crying so tried bottle and food again but didnt want it.

Nothing was working so put him back in buggy and after a little bit of rocking finally went to sleep, that lasted 45 minutes.

work up and tried a yoghurt but just kept spitting it out.

By the time mum came at 3pm he was sitting on floor with me, playing and when she came in he was fine and she thought he been fine all day.

Told her he hasnt eaten much that she'd given me and she said hes normally a big eater, I said its probably just getting used to me.

I dont think he gets alot of interaction from mum as she just sat there with him climbing all over her.

A friend said maybe he was over stimulated and not use to it.

Anyone got any ideas, Im sure its just all new to him and hopefully he will settle, I just need someone to say that to me.:laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
17-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm sure its all new to him and he'll get used to it and settle, hope that helps lol. I think the fact that he finally settled was a good sign, that should get earlier and earlier in the day.Good luck on monday

sarah707
17-09-2009, 11:51 AM
The first few sessions can be like that - it's a scary thing to happen with someone new!

Hopefully in time it will improve :D

Mouse
17-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Try singing to him. I often sing (very badly!) to the little ones & it does tend to calm them down. Sing just a little bit louder that they're crying & it takes their mind off whatever they're crying about! Sing absolutely anything - I just make it up as I go along, singing their names, singing about what we're playing with etc.

I have one baby who is just moving onto lumpy food. He opens his mouth expecting his usual mush, but as soon as he realises it's got lumps in he starts to cry. I sing to him while I'm feeding him & he concentrates so much on me that he forgets about the lumps in his food & just eats it. Then, once he'e eating properly, I stop singing & he eats it all up without a peep.

misst104
17-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Hiya Sarah. I know how you feel! I have 2 siblings who started last week (just one day a week) and the 9 month old cried almost non-stop last week. Didn't eat, didn't take ANY bottle, had 40 mins sleep all day instead of the 3 hours mum said she usually does!!!! It was extremely tiring ( thread here somewhere about it!!!) and the othr 2 children had to make do with only a little of my time. It was a little better this week and there were so many encouraging comments from people who had been there that I felt better this week. I really hope that the lo settles quickly. Its a tricky age to start but as he is full time I think it will be easier to get him into your routines and he will soon become used to you and your setting!

Good luck!

Jo x

Pudding Girl
17-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I know what you mean about the wind like noises - it's from screaming and themgullping the air in, which in turn then hurts and makes them cry more! Vicious circle.
Try rubbing his back and jigging up and down - this worked for me finally when I worked out why he was conitinuing crying/screaming and he'd calm down then after the hugest burp ever.

Polly2
17-09-2009, 12:55 PM
I have no words of wisdom just to say I am going through same thing! I think 9mths is a difficult time to start really.

Mine only comes once a week moving to twice a week after xmas so each time I feel like we are starting over.

I am using my sling - it has worked with other babies before so heres hoping!!

Hope you ok xx

singlewiththree
17-09-2009, 01:20 PM
You are all filling me with dread, I have a 7mth old starting in Oct :(

grindal
17-09-2009, 01:25 PM
I started with a 9 month old back in June and remeber posting on here saying that she was crying all the time. It was BAD!! DS1 thought mindee did not like us and helpful :angry: old dears would stop me in the street and make really useless remarks to me - like OOOHHHH - someones not happy :panic: Anyway, by the end of the week she was as good as gold and even slept in the travel cot upstairs and according to mum she only ever settled when she was rocked to sleep in a buggy outside. Don't give up - keep doing all you are doing and remember her parents chose you cos they trust you with their daughter.

nemo97
17-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I'd just like to say that I started last week with a 10 month old.
I'd had quite a few settling in sessions as his mum is quite young and was returning to study, but was really unsure about leaving him. She is happy to carry him around all day and as soon as he cries is there to pick him up.
When I had the settling sessions they were only for a couple of hours so obviously I hadn't covered meals and sleep times. He settled really well during this time but when he came last week for the full days it was a different story. By the end of each day I was extremely tired with a capital K. He was so demanding and like yours he wouldn't eat and getting him to sleep was hard work. :angry:
That was last week, this week he's settled, eating his meals and i've even got him into a routine with his sleep. I'm convinced this is his twin brother because its definately not the little monster I had last week.
So keep going he'll soon settle into some sort of routine the longer you have him. :thumbsup:

sarah32
17-09-2009, 01:36 PM
It was a little upsetting my my 2.1/2 mindee, he couldnt understand why he was still crying when he was giving him all the toys.:)

With having 4 days a weeks from 8.30 - 5.30 as really hoping he settles after a couple of days.

I'll try the singing.:)

HomefromHome
17-09-2009, 01:42 PM
It was a little upsetting my my 2.1/2 mindee, he couldnt understand why he was still crying when he was giving him all the toys.:)

With having 4 days a weeks from 8.30 - 5.30 as really hoping he settles after a couple of days.

I'll try the singing.:)

now use nice words in the singing!!!!!!! lol

sarah32
17-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I always use nice words:laughing:

HomefromHome
17-09-2009, 01:49 PM
:laughing: uhuh no making your own up now!!!!!
I always use nice words:laughing:

sarah32
17-09-2009, 01:58 PM
What are you trying to say C????????