PDA

View Full Version : allotments and wormerys

mushpea
17-09-2009, 10:45 AM
just wonded if anyone has an allotment if so how many times a week do you go there with the children and do they enjoy it?
also does anyone have a wormery and if so what did you use for the container? are they easy to keep?

have put my name down for an allotment and hope to get one in January as they are extending the current plots. we grow veg here and they seem to enjoy so hoping it will be the same with the allotment.

Tatjana
17-09-2009, 11:01 AM
We have an allotment, only got it in the summer so still needs a lot of work on it, so haven't taken mindee there yet. Would definately have done if it was in full working order.

Sorry, my post is a bit pointless, lol!

xx

PixiePetal
17-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Mindees parents have a wormery (and an allotment). Could ask about it when they pick up if no one has answered in the meantime:)

Gherkin
17-09-2009, 11:33 AM
I have an allotment which we have had for over a year now. My own two children (3 & 5) are happy up there some days and other days are complete nightmares so we always take them up there to do work when it is there mealtime so that they have a picnic to distract them if them get bored.

I have taken mindees up there through the summer anything from 2 to 6 times a month. But generally we only go up to harvest, have a look and with the older ones plant and only short sessions as they all get a bit bored.

Personally I love my allotment but it is a lot of hard work and it can be hard to find them time some weeks. We only have a half plot and both my dh and I work it.

Shar
17-09-2009, 01:09 PM
We have 2 plots at our allotment, it's very hard work mainly at weekends for DH. I do take the mindees there in the summer to pick fruit and veg. It's not great for the under 3's as they start to get bored quickly but the older children enjoy going.
I keep my wormery at home( its one that looks like boxes stacked on top of eachother with a tap on the bottom box). It has taken 2 years to get any liquid fertilizer from it. Not sure if it's worth having though.

Good luck!:thumbsup: