PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

angiemog
17-09-2009, 07:16 AM
I have a 2 1/2 year old who does not like to share or have any other children near her. If they go anywhere near her she will push them. I have a 10 month and 15 month so they are pushed over. At the moment I pick the little ones ones cuddle them then tell the 2 year old its unkind we don't push the babies, I then make her say sorry. Do you have any other ideas? Or is there anything else I should be doing. Parents are aware it's happening as she is like it wherever they take her. Thanks for reading x

karenandsmile
17-09-2009, 07:20 AM
i would try and sort an activity where the older child will have to play with the smaller child telling them that you need her help in teaching the little ones how to play give her some responsibility make her feel shes important make it a floor activity so not so far to fall and all sit on the floor rolling a ball to each other and praise praise praise
when the child is playing nicley with the children tell them how nice she playing with the others you cant tell them enough

sweets
17-09-2009, 07:23 AM
yes get her to help to 'look after' the babies and involve her in thier play. and lot and lots of praise when she plays nicely.

What she really needs tho is someone to give her a good push back! lol. but of course this would never be encouraged!:laughing:

uf353432
17-09-2009, 09:39 AM
she's not too young to start understanding feelings. Is there a situation she has been in where she was sad? someone said or did something to her?

Then when talking to her about behaviour relate how she felt in that situation with how the babies might be feeling for being pushed.

Lots of positive praise and a reward system for good sharing play.

Chill out time when she needs to be removed from the situation to calm down and return when she feels she is calm enough to play.

But also opportunity in the day to play without younger ones interrupting her play as the parent of a 4 yr old and a 15 mth old I know that the older one gets hugely frustrated when the younger one comes in and moves, takes or ruins her game. Sometimes younger children need to understand boundaries as well. Its easy for us to tell the older ones off all the time as they should know better - but we should also encourage the younger ones to respect others space as well and allow them time to play together and individually.

thats the only thing I can think of right now xx

Curly Quavers
17-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Is she only like this with younger ones or with all children would she push a bigger kid for coming near her?

angiemog
17-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Is she only like this with younger ones or with all children would she push a bigger kid for coming near her?
I haven't seen her too much around older children in my home. When we were at the park she screamed because an older girl went to go on the slide that she was playing with. She is an only child and is fine when she has all your attention. She is fast asleep at the mo as is my other mindee. Today i have been giving lots of praise and it is helping a little. I have also been asking her to find something for the other mindee to play with, to let them have a turn or to let them have something ie little people person I have over 50 of these little people/animals so sharing them I didn't see as a problem. It seems to be working but she is very unpredictable and cannot turn my head at all. Without going back to check the name I agree with ? about letting the olders ones have space...however it's so hard to keep a walking 9 month baby from going near her space except by putting him in the high chair which again isnt fair on him but I have done this too.
Thank you so much for all your advice. That'swhy I love this site so much you are all so helpful even though we are all so busy. THANK YOU x

mushpea
17-09-2009, 01:12 PM
i look after a nearly 2yrold who has slapped, pulled hair, bit and pushed for the last month or so, i imediatly say 'no' in a firm voice then sit her down for a short time out, after time out i say how much it hurt the other child and that it is nt nice, i also give lots of cuddles to the hurt child in full view of her so she knows whos getting my full attention. I have found praise to be the biggest help , even if she's olnly played nicley for 10 secs i give her praise and it does seem to be working. she is not an only child and i think may have to stand up for herself and fight for things at home so its just what shes used to.
good fun at this age arent they:rolleyes: :D

Hebs
17-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I have to opposite

A 2 year old who is apparently a nightmare at home but such a joy to look after and a bundle of happiness with me ha ha ha