PDA

View Full Version : How many do you all have at once??

sdean
16-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I currently look after 3 under 5 and then have my own daughter who is 6, two after school who are 4 (rising 5) and 8. I have had an enquiry for 2 more siblings - 4 (rising 5) and 9. That would mean 8 every day before and after school.

Do you think that is too many? It would mean walking in the bad weather - do any of you already do this????

thanks!! :panic:

margimum
16-09-2009, 07:53 PM
That's a lot!
You would never all fit in the car anyhow(unless you have a bus!!)
It would be very restrictive in school holidays too if you had them all.
Only you know if you can manage them all, but I wish you luck:eek: :eek:

Princess Sara
16-09-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't want more than 4 at any one time, and that includes that two that are mine! Wouldn't mind if I had 5 as a one off but not a regular thing.

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2009, 07:57 PM
That would take you to 8 and surely outside of your registration.

Personally I like the car space for the bad weather

margimum
16-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Over 8's don't count in registration numbers.
I was led to believe that you could have over 8's as long as they did not impact on the care provided to younger children.
I think the maximum allowed by insurance is 12, but that may be after clearance by planning department

Princess Sara
16-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I read that totally wrong.

PixiePetal
16-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Over 8's don't count in registration numbers.
I was led to believe that you could have over 8's as long as they did not impact on the care provided to younger children.
I think the maximum allowed by insurance is 12, but that may be after clearance by planning department

Doesn't that still leave one extra in the rising 5 lot? Variation needed?

daisyboo1980
16-09-2009, 08:06 PM
no more than 6 at anyone time i dont like the thought of not being able to go any where

Princess Sara
16-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Is there a limit on the amount of rising 5's allowed? Can you not technically have 3 under 5, then 3 rising 5's if 6 is the limit on your certificate?

manjay
16-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I read the OP as 6 under 8's and 2 over in total. No problem there me thinks.

I regularly have this many and although not ideal in the bad weather for walking home I don't have any problems

bibi571
16-09-2009, 08:11 PM
I've got a 10 month old, 12 month old, 15 month old 2 x 5 year olds 7 year old, dd 9 and ds 13.

DS is at high school so gets the bus home, and only have a problem with seats in the car 2 days - dd gets the school bus to her grans 1 day and walks home the other.

B x :littleangel:

margimum
16-09-2009, 08:12 PM
I make it 3 under 5
3 at school but under 8 so that's a total of 6.
Then an 8 year old and a 9 year old who are not within registration.
Sounds legal to me (but really hard work!!):)

amirose
16-09-2009, 08:12 PM

No she said she has two who are most likely siblings one who is a rising five and one who is 8 - if it was 2 rising fives the total number of children would be 9:thumbsup:

newandlearning
16-09-2009, 08:15 PM
I think its a totally personal thing.. I know someone who seems to easily look after 8 but she does tend to have an assistant with her so maybe that's why?
I've just had 5 every day of summer aged.. 2, 2.5, 4, 5 and 6yo.. I'm still trying to recoup my energy depletion of doing a lot of working...

also its taking into account if the school is close or if its a physical walk? how do you manage when someone is feeling fed-up etc? I know someone else who has 7 after schoolers and its tiring but manageable.

Let us know what you decide xx

PixiePetal
16-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Sorry if I read that wrong.

I thought it meant a total of

3 under 5's

2 rising 5's (and possibly a third)
Daughter 6

and 2 over 8's (including the possible 9yr old)

That made 9 total in my head (it's been a long day:laughing: )

Don't worry, probably just me :blush:
Anyway, I see no problem getting them about. I don't drive anyway so parents always provide suitable wet weather gear - I live in hope!

TheBTeam
16-09-2009, 08:25 PM
My Dh and i work together and when full we have our own ds 10 our dd 7 and 6 under 5 and 4 between 5 and 8 plus another 9 year old

We like to keep to a max of 14 including us and our two children for the bulk of the week during holidays as this means we are still mobile with both of our 7 seaters, I would hate to not be mobile for the bulk of the week, we would get housebound!

We can manage this number fairly easily and during the last summer hols, 4 of them were reliant for some or all of the time on a buggy and 5 needed nappy changes, we have a quad buggy though which makes a huge difference because it means only one of us is pushing a buggy and the other has hands free to move away and do things/manage mobile children.

It was harder when we only had two double buggies, because we both had to push for the majority of the time!!!!!

charleyfarley
16-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I've cared for 8 during holidays in the past and vowed I would NEVER do it again :panic:

I currently have 4 at the moment including my own two, new mindee in the pipeline (hopefully) so that's enough for me

Good luck :thumbsup:

Carol xx

PixiePetal
16-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I make it 3 under 5
3 at school but under 8 so that's a total of 6.
Then an 8 year old and a 9 year old who are not within registration.
Sounds legal to me (but really hard work!!):)

Wouldn't it be 4 kids at school but under 8 including daughter of 6? I am confused :blush:

miffy
16-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I only have 8 once a week now on a Tuesday - am totally shattered when they've gone!

Carol - I've been there, done that got the t-shirt too - much prefer the quieter holidays now with only four mindees :)

Miffy xx

sdean
16-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Dont think I explained very well - if I took them on I would have

3 under 5

2 rising 5s
1 6 yr old

1 8 yr old
1 9 yr old So I would have 8 in total

really unsure of what to do now!!! :panic:

miffy
16-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Oh dear, we've not helped then?

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
16-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Got it!!

off to bed for me I think:thumbsup:

sarahlou
16-09-2009, 09:09 PM
have 9 every nite (mostly if they havnt got other things on) and 1 the hols - all really good and works for me - watch tomorrow be a :censored:

julie w
16-09-2009, 09:17 PM
I've had 11 some days in the school hols but most days after school its 6-8. During the day I have 2-4 (with variation) and I totally love it. I feel like one big family, and there's still time for cuddles and special time each. My most tiring time is the paperwork once they've all gone.I dont drive anyway so that's never a problem.

The Juggler
16-09-2009, 09:25 PM
My busiest day is 7 after school. three of those are over 8, two 7 nearly 8 and others under 8 (3 under 5)

I might do 8 at a push but just for the walk home from school not for a few hours after school.

Have done 7 all day in hols as a one off. wouldnt' make it a habit¬

youarewhatyoueat
16-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I would consider it but only if the school children get on and don't start winding each other up. It could get quite lively in the winter, it really would depend on their personalities and what sort of things they enjoyed doing. Are the older ones boys or girls, not that it makes a huge difference but they enjoy different things.

Hebs
17-09-2009, 06:25 AM
From next week I will have
3 under 3's
3 under 8's
4 over 8's

Most days

Yes I have to walk home about half an hours walk at a slow pace

X

singlewiththree
17-09-2009, 06:40 AM
I currently look after 3 under 5 and then have my own daughter who is 6, two after school who are 4 (rising 5) and 8. I have had an enquiry for 2 more siblings - 4 (rising 5) and 9. That would mean 8 every day before and after school.

Do you think that is too many? It would mean walking in the bad weather - do any of you already do this????

thanks!! :panic:

I've been asked to have my two holiday children before/after school as mum has a new job which would leave me with 8 in the morning and then 7 in the afternoon! I was going to buy a 7 seater next year but this wouldn't help me at all. I will have
7mth old
18mth old
3yr old (mine)
4 yr old (rising 5 & mine)
4 yr old (rising 5)
5 yr old
8 yr old (mine)
9 yr old

In the afternoon I won't have the 18mth old so my 3yr old can sit in the buggy if tired. I haven't said yes yet but I don't know what she would do if I don't have them as the other 2 childminders for the school are full too and the children didn't take to after school club.

singlewiththree
17-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Dont think I explained very well - if I took them on I would have

3 under 5

2 rising 5s
1 6 yr old

1 8 yr old
1 9 yr old So I would have 8 in total

really unsure of what to do now!!! :panic:

I think it does depend if you think they will get on. If I take the extra 2 on for me I know that they get on with my own children so its just a case of whether they fit in with my current 1 before/after schoool.

suzyblue
17-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Dont you need planning permission for more than 6 children?

nic76
17-09-2009, 09:45 AM
i have a 16mth,nearly 3 yr old,6yr,7yr, 8yr, 3 x 11yr olds and 1 x 10yr old(3 of which are my own)

sarah707
17-09-2009, 09:47 AM

You need to apply for planning permission for more than 6 under 8 yes :D

LeeAnn
17-09-2009, 09:56 AM
the most I have is 5 and that is more than enough for me! I am registered for 6 children at any one time including my own. No more than 3 can be under 5 and no more than one under 1 year. I don't think we have the over 8 rule up here, all kids are taken into the limits of our reg.

Today after nursery collection I will have

one 2.5 year old
one 3.5 year old (mine)
one almost 4 year old

then after school all of the above plus

one 10.5 year old (mine)
one 11 year old

:panic: there is a chance the 2.5 year old will be collected at 3pm so fingers crossed! LOL but this is the busiest day I have , I find it is more than enough as 3 girls under 4 take a lot of entertaining to keep them from squabbling and to keep them occupied!

But my house isn't the biggest and I live in Scotland so it rains! A lot! I also know my own levels of patience and organisation which is really what lets me down :blush: .

Do you feel like you can manage it? Could you agree to do a weeks trial or something to give it a go?

nic76
17-09-2009, 10:01 AM

:laughing: :laughing:

Lady Haha
17-09-2009, 10:03 AM
I also think it depends on how much room you have in your house! My house isn't that big, but I do have a playroom, lounge and garden to make use of! I have a max of 7 after school between the ages of 5 and 8 and it can be a bit of a squeeze! Doesn't happen very often as three are flexi, so it only bumps up to that occasionally. When I have that many, I try to split them up as much as I can, a couple doing an activity in the playroom, a couple on the wii/tv in lounge, a couple in the garden etc! Then swap em all round after tea!

Try and have planned activities or they will start on each other when they get bored!!!

I agree that 8 is very restrictive in hols though! I have an eight seater care, so thats me and up to seven kids. Would drive me to insanity to have that many in the house for up to 10 hours!!!

mushpea
17-09-2009, 10:43 AM
i would happily have 8 as its only one extra to me,

mondays i have 6 children before and after school
tuesdays its 7
wedensdays its 7
thursdays 3 and fridays 4
i actualy find it easier when their are more children as they play with each other leaving me time with the littlys and also we can do big group games like parachute games etc.
very hard work some days but also enjoyable and rewarding. you just have to go with what you feel comfortabl with, i think if i had 7 children come to me in one go then i would panic but because they sort of gradualy built up its been ok and one extra wouldnt be a problem now.

Daftbat
17-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I regularly wlak to school in the morning with 8 or ten children and come home with about the same. Its the result of the children all growing older with me - sometimes i only have 2 under 8 and the rest are older!

It keeps me on my toes but they are all really great kids and i have no problems. I love having them all - its great to hear all their stories about school over snack.

clairemiranda
17-09-2009, 04:57 PM
The most I have is 10 (after-schoolers) including my own 3. There's a good mix of boys and girls aged from 6-10, so there's always someone to play with. It works well - I do the school run on foot as it's only 2 min walk and I've got a fairly big house so there's plenty of room. Some stay til 5pm, others stay for dinner and gop home at 6.

You have to do a trial for a few weeks and if it works out OK then go for it.