PDA

View Full Version : using ncma account book?

chewy sweets
16-09-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm confused as it tells you to to write the childs name on the side and write in food/drink and then the amount- Do i just put in there how much i charge the parents for lunch each day and times that by the days they are with me??
As how am i supposed to work out how much i spend of each child?????

It's really confusing me!!!!!!!!!:panic:

Tinglesnark
16-09-2009, 02:34 PM
oh i have nooooooooooooo idea as ive not seen one yet and dont know how much space there is but surely it would be easier to add it all up and write it down as weekly or monthly? maybe divde ur weekly shop by number of mindees? oooh i dunno...im useless at maths too haha:rolleyes:

TheBTeam
16-09-2009, 03:05 PM
You need to be writing in how much it costs you to provide the food, not the income the parents give you for it, this goes in you income bit in the book, not the expenses bit.

You can record it how you like, by the amount of the receipt which is for all children, or per meal for all children, or as i do an amount for each number of lunches/dinners/snacks per child, times by the amount of them at the set cost per child and then I write in a figure for each. (by averaging my costs from receipts for a meal/snack/drink etc for the types of meals i provide).

Written across the detail column Amount written in the amount column
Ie B(short for Breakfast R x5
L x 3
S x5 = 13x£1 £13
L(for Lunch) Rx 2
L x2 = 4x£2 £8

D(for dinner) E x3
Sx 3 = 6x£2 £12

then in the total column £33
I do the same process each week, and i usually put in whether they attend or not as i will have bought the food, just larger portions for the rest usually!

I have looked at doing it the way Debbies26 does it and it works out very similar, so thinking I will change the way I do it, for my main food shop and not worry about the smaller items bought during the week.

HTH (just looked at post and my columns came out diff to that typed!)

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2009, 03:30 PM
You can work it per person or as a whole

The receipt of all food less wine, spirits, clothing etc that are for your family and divide it by the total number of mindees and family and that will give you a per person rate and multiply this by the number of mindees

atmkids
16-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I write an amount down per child per day. This is more than the amount I charge for the meal to cover things like drinks, snacks and cleaning products which I don't work out separately. The IR were fine with this.

manjay
16-09-2009, 05:18 PM
You can work it per person or as a whole

The receipt of all food less wine, spirits, clothing etc that are for your family and divide it by the total number of mindees and family and that will give you a per person rate and multiply this by the number of mindees

I often see that people use this method but I struggle to understand how it works. I am obviously missing something but how do you justify doing it this way if say for example you have a mindee who eats 2 meals a week as opposed to a family member who would eat 3 meals 7 days a week?

Maybe I am being a bit dim:huh:

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2009, 07:29 PM
I often see that people use this method but I struggle to understand how it works. I am obviously missing something but how do you justify doing it this way if say for example you have a mindee who eats 2 meals a week as opposed to a family member who would eat 3 meals 7 days a week?

Maybe I am being a bit dim:huh:

You don't need to justify it. It was the IR that said it was okay to use this. It doesn't matter how many meals a child has in a week, it is how much access the child has to the food.

I have one who doesn't have breakfast with me but he still managed to eat a punnet of strawberries and 6 yoghurts this week.

Lady Haha
19-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I did a 'test' day of meals and use that as an average. If a box of cereal has 15 portions, divide the cost of the box by 15 etc, same with milk etc etc

A lunch may consist of two slices of bread, a slice of ham, an apple and a yogurt.

Main meal could be two sausages, quarter can of beans and one potato mashed! Followed by one sixth of a sponge cake!

Drinks could include quarter pint of milk, etc

Add it all up and divide it by three to give you an average cost per meal.

It sounds complicated and it is, but you only have to do it once! You don't need to be giving those meals EVERY day, this is just your example, so make it a nice expensive one if you can!

Mine worked to 1.50 per meal and then when I do my accounts every week, I work from my attendance register to see how many meals each child would have had. I don't have to deal with reciepts every week etc, just if A has been for three after school sessions, her food expense is 4.50, B has come every day before and after school, so thats ten meals - 15.00 etc etc

Hope I've helped!

Chatterbox Childcare
19-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I did a 'test' day of meals and use that as an average. If a box of cereal has 15 portions, divide the cost of the box by 15 etc, same with milk etc etc

A lunch may consist of two slices of bread, a slice of ham, an apple and a yogurt.

Main meal could be two sausages, quarter can of beans and one potato mashed! Followed by one sixth of a sponge cake!

Drinks could include quarter pint of milk, etc

Add it all up and divide it by three to give you an average cost per meal.

It sounds complicated and it is, but you only have to do it once! You don't need to be giving those meals EVERY day, this is just your example, so make it a nice expensive one if you can!

Mine worked to 1.50 per meal and then when I do my accounts every week, I work from my attendance register to see how many meals each child would have had. I don't have to deal with reciepts every week etc, just if A has been for three after school sessions, her food expense is 4.50, B has come every day before and after school, so thats ten meals - 15.00 etc etc

Hope I've helped!

Wish mine only ate that much!

What if you have to purchase all of the above for one child? Your price per meal rises? Do you bin the rest of the beans?

PixiePetal
19-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I work out how much everything costs - How much mince etc for the bol costs and scale down to small child size or double for older child. Wrote them in a notebook for a week or two and updated every now and then.

Sausages cost £3.99 for 8 so that's about 50p each

bag of apples £1.99 for 6 - 33p each

pizza £3.00 - 1/4 75p

I just note in my diary what kids ate (or were offered) each day and tot it up at the end of the week. I don't have too many kids at the moment so it is easy that way for me.