PDA

View Full Version : HELP NEEDED QUICKLY!!!!!!!!

chewy sweets
16-09-2009, 10:43 AM
How small a thing do you do accident forms for. Lo had just grazed his knee playing in the garden. He's fine and didn't cry . Should i do an accident form? Mum coming to collect him in half an hour!

oakie dokie
16-09-2009, 10:45 AM
i would fill in accident report for that.

Pudding Girl
16-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Anything that leaves a mark/bump/bleeds I do them for.

Pipsqueak
16-09-2009, 10:47 AM
I would note that sort of thing down in accident book. If it hasn't left a mark then I would not it in the diary - circumstances, treament etc and verbally notify parents - if they want it in the accident book then I would.

sorry had to edit my post as my brain was way ahead of me typing

Princess Sara
16-09-2009, 11:03 AM
If it leaves a mark or they cry alot I write it up as an accident, if they're fine and carry on playing it just gets noted in the handover book.

chewy sweets
16-09-2009, 02:05 PM
It didn't leave any mark. His knee was red for about 5mins. Done one anyway and parent signed when she picked him up. She thought it was stupid that i had to do it anyway. But told her it was part of my job! :thumbsup:
Thanks again for the advice! :thumbsup:

grindal
16-09-2009, 02:45 PM
The day before my recent ofsted inspection mindee scratched herself on the chest when she was asleep - it was less than 1cm long - i dont think she even realised she did it - I only noticed when i changed her nappy. However, my ofsted inspector noticed it, questioned why I had not recorded it, graded me satisfactory in child welfare because of it and put an action on my ofsted report as a result of it. It has taken me nearly 3 months to get them to remove the phrase "failed to record an injury" from my report. From now on every bump, bruise, scratch, scrape, and minor abrasion to the skin will be recorded in my accident book.

Lainey Lou
16-09-2009, 04:07 PM
The day before my recent ofsted inspection mindee scratched herself on the chest when she was asleep - it was less than 1cm long - i dont think she even realised she did it - I only noticed when i changed her nappy. However, my ofsted inspector noticed it, questioned why I had not recorded it, graded me satisfactory in child welfare because of it and put an action on my ofsted report as a result of it. It has taken me nearly 3 months to get them to remove the phrase "failed to record an injury" from my report. From now on every bump, bruise, scratch, scrape, and minor abrasion to the skin will be recorded in my accident book.

OMG, recording a scratch as an injury is abit ridiculous. Its things like this that really make me think whether I really really want to be childminder. Glad you have got it sorted xx

Ripeberry
16-09-2009, 04:32 PM
That was unfair. What if the child had an injury somewhere under their clothes but the parents did not tell you about it. What are we supposed to do, strip their children before allowing them to leave without signing for every single scrape and mark ? :mad:

grindal
17-09-2009, 06:52 AM
That was unfair. What if the child had an injury somewhere under their clothes but the parents did not tell you about it. What are we supposed to do, strip their children before allowing them to leave without signing for every single scrape and mark ? :mad:

I totally agree it was unfair :angry: . It really upset me at the time, and the inspector only even noticed it cos mindee pulled at her vest when I was changing her. I went along with the inspector at the time, but when my report came through she wrote that I had failed to record an injury. To me, the word injury suggests a broken leg, cut open head or a open wound somewhere - not a flipping scratch! Anyway, in the end after a 2 hour interview with an ofsted team leader and a follow up phone call, I said that unless the word injury was removed from my report I would ask for a repeat inspection. The grade for welfare and the action have remained on my report but at least it now reads that I failed to record an incident (which as far as I am concerned sounds a lot less dramatic than an injury)

sarah707
17-09-2009, 06:56 AM

Let that story be a warning to us all!

If anything happens to someone else's child... anything at all out of the ordinary... write it down!