PDA

View Full Version : Car Seats

her8y
16-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Wasnt sure where to post this!

I have a 17 month old mindee and want to transfer them into a five point harness seat (nania) which it states is suitable for stages groups 1/2/3. Currently in a Britax reclining type seat.

I need to do this as I cannot fit 3 large reclining car seats in my car and I have one of these spare (which the fit was confirmed as correct by a car seat person!).

Parent has objected saying as it doesnt recline it is not suitable and is dangerous and most shops wouldnt sell them as suitable???

Does anyone know if this is true?? or know where I can get some information to show to parent. I have shown her the manual but needs further evidence.

Thanks

Hebs
16-09-2009, 10:52 AM
they are suitable from 11 months (i have 2 of them)

i would advise mum that it IS age appropriate but if she'd prefer a reclining one then she is more than welcome to provide it ;)

littlesprogs
16-09-2009, 10:58 AM
If mum would prefer her child in a reclining seat then theres not much you can do.

I personally agree with the mum i prefer my son (14 months) in a reclining seat because he always falls asleep in the car and so the recline makes it more comfy for him.

Hebs
16-09-2009, 10:59 AM
my mindees fall asleep in my Nania carseats and they sleep very well it them even though they don't recline :thumbsup:

littlesprogs
16-09-2009, 11:04 AM
my mindees fall asleep in my Nania carseats and they sleep very well it them even though they don't recline :thumbsup:

thats great for your mindees but some children like to be reclined, my son wouldnt sleep upright. At the end of the day it is up to the parent.

Zoomie
16-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Realistically, how long are you in the car for and how likely is mindee to fall asleep (and then stay there for the duration).

If they are short time I would state this to parent and hope they will reconsider. Alternatively they are welcome to provide the chair for you :rolleyes:

her8y
16-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Forgot to say I cannot physically fit the larger reclining ones in my car safely as I would need two and a nania one. I can fit in and have had this checked 3 nania ones or two nania and one recliner (which is being used by a 9 month old hence the problem). It is only needed twice a week for a short journey to and from school. The Nania ones were purchased last year for my mindees who were just over a year at the time.

littlesprogs
16-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Forgot to say I cannot physically fit the larger reclining ones in my car safely. It is only needed twice a week for a short journey to and from school. The Nania ones were purchased last year for my mindees who were just over a year at the time.

could you not fit one reclined one and then 2 nania ones?

FussyElmo
If you cant fit three of these car seats into your car then you will have to use the nania seat that fits. These car seats are legal and suitable.

You dont say how old the other mindees are - if one is older could they use the nania?

Hebs
Realistically, how long are you in the car for and how likely is mindee to fall asleep (and then stay there for the duration).

If they are short time I would state this to parent and hope they will reconsider. Alternatively they are welcome to provide the chair for you :rolleyes:

exactly :thumbsup:

FussyElmo
16-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Forgot to say I cannot physically fit the larger reclining ones in my car safely as I would need two and a nania one. I can fit in and have had this checked 3 nania ones or two nania and one recliner (which is being used by a 9 month old hence the problem). It is only needed twice a week for a short journey to and from school. The Nania ones were purchased last year for my mindees who were just over a year at the time.

Sorry we must have posted at the same time. If you cant fit the reclining seats into your car safely them you will have to use the nania ones. The safety of all the children is paramount and if you let one parent choose the car seat then you will have to give the other parents the choice too.

huggableshelly
I see your issue!

parent wants child in recliner ... not a problem you can do this

BUT what others have missed is that you have not got the space in your car for the 3rd recliner which is a real issue.

Have you expalined to the parents that space is the issue not the cost of gaining a new seat? ask them if they have any suggestions on how to fit the 3 recliners in the car safely, expalin that if you do put them all in you cant do up the seatbelts but the nania seat has plenty of cushioning aroung the head section to allow a child to sleep.

ALSO how long are you in the car for? does the child often fall asleep in the car? if he doesnt then let parents knw child is only in car for 10 mins and never has a sleep or summin like that.

if all else fails then you are unable to cater for the parents needs and advise them to seek childcare elsewhere!

Hebs
At the end of the day it is up to the parent.

yes i understand that, therefore would be advised she is welcome to provide a suitable car seat :D

HomefromHome
16-09-2009, 11:51 AM
take it you cant use front seat??? (i have an s reg so no airbag)

i use 2 britax recliners and a nania with harness, and a baby rearward one in the front when i have the baby (and yes i have a variation!)

the britax is in the middle as it can be used with a lap belt, britax and nania either side - it's the only way they fit in

- if it's just for short journeys then point this out to her - also show her the manual for the nania to prove it is ok. show her how it fits in your car, show how the children fit

sweets
16-09-2009, 11:54 AM
i have to put one of my seats in the front too. i can turn my airbag on and off easy. i always put the oldest child in the front.

daisyboo1980
16-09-2009, 11:56 AM
we use them and they are brill wee car seats for the job i would explain to the parent that they are safe and let her have a look when fitted and child is in it

candy cat
16-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I think i will have same problem.....I have a meriva and 2 britax recliner seats,but as thay are so big i doubt i will fit 3 all in back and i can't turn my air bag off on the front seat.

katickles
16-09-2009, 01:04 PM
I had this problem - but after loads of searching found a great carseat.

Its a bebe iseos tt :http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/child-car-seat/bebe-confort-iseos-car-seat/1216235/

I can make it slimmer & wider so its fits snug in the rear of my car. I love it & would happily change all mine to these seats :D

little chickee
16-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Is the parents only objection that the carseat does not recline. Is she saying that it is dangerous because it does not recline? if so that is a pile of tosh because a carseat has to be passed as safe to be sold in shops. Wheter it reclines or not has no impact on its safety.

Im not sure how you will get around this though because if that is the carseat that you have for the child to use and you cannot change it because otherwise you cannot get all the carseats in the car and the parents refuse to let you use it.......... the only solution i can think of is to walk!!

i think you have done your best to prove that the seat is safe.
can the 9 month old go in the nania to free up the recliner for the 17 month old? I know that ideally the younger child should go in the recliner but this may be a solution.

TheBTeam
16-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I would not let the parent dictate to me the carseats that I use, i think you can run into dodgy ground having them choose/insist on a particular seat!

I tell my parents that i have a variety of car seats and two cars and my dh and i will always have a child in a seat that their weight and development say is suitable for them and it will be the best of the seats that we have that is suitable for them and taking into account all of the mindees with us at the time.

If they do not trust me to make this decision then i have an issue with their trust in me full stop! I can not guarantee to any parent that their child will travel in a particular car or use a particular car seat, if i had an emergency/change of children or any other reason then i don't want the additional panic of who sits where to keep a parent happy.

Yes at the end of the day it is up to the parent, but in my case that would be whether the child stayed with me or not, not which seat they sat in!

Hebs
16-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I would not let the parent dictate to me the carseats that I use, i think you can run into dodgy ground having them choose/insist on a particular seat!

I tell my parents that i have a variety of car seats and two cars and my dh and i will always have a child in a seat that their weight and development say is suitable for them and it will be the best of the seats that we have that is suitable for them and taking into account all of the mindees with us at the time.

If they do not trust me to make this decision then i have an issue with their trust in me full stop! I can not guarantee to any parent that their child will travel in a particular car or use a particular car seat, if i had an emergency/change of children or any other reason then i don't want the additional panic of who sits where to keep a parent happy.

Yes at the end of the day it is up to the parent, but in my case that would be whether the child stayed with me or not, not which seat they sat in!

:clapping: well said

her8y
16-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Thank you for all your replies. I will look into the car seat - Thanks Katickles. Have shown mum manual, how it all fits etc but still not happy. I have left it that if I can find suitable seat thats fine I am happy to purchase one. If not then there are two choices left. use the seat I have or find alternate care!

Will try 2 britax and one nania Thanks Homefromhome.

Mum did suggest I put another child in the front seat but I cannot turn off the air bag and the front seat is fitted with an airbag as well so a double no no.

Thanks all for pointing out both sides. :thumbsup: :D

manjay
16-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm with the BTeam:thumbsup:

The Juggler
16-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Thank you for all your replies. I will look into the car seat - Thanks Katickles. Have shown mum manual, how it all fits etc but still not happy. I have left it that if I can find suitable seat thats fine I am happy to purchase one. If not then there are two choices left. use the seat I have or find alternate care!

Will try 2 britax and one nania Thanks Homefromhome.

Mum did suggest I put another child in the front seat but I cannot turn off the air bag and the front seat is fitted with an airbag as well so a double no no.

Thanks all for pointing out both sides. :thumbsup: :D

good for you! Be strong:D