PDA

View Full Version : what do use to alert the children in a fire drill?

lissy
16-09-2009, 09:02 AM
i have tried using the test button on the smoke alarm but its in a different room to the children so it felt weird them being in a seperate rooom to me when it goes off, also its really high up and i have to keep my finger on it to get it to keep beeping.

So i was wondering what you all do for yours?
:)

Chatterbox Childcare
16-09-2009, 09:04 AM
I set mine off - or go in a room and shout fire fire, blow a whistle etc..

Annie_T
16-09-2009, 09:13 AM
if possible get a friend over to do it for you make sure they sign in and out tho on visitor book lol

or as debbie said shout fire, be in kitchen and then go back to say fire fire etc x

Lady Haha
16-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I did intend to use a whistle, but until I had got one, I decided to just shout out 'FIRE DRILL' really loud when they were least expecting it! It has worked so well, I have abandoned the whistle idea now! After the fire drill I go around testing the alarms too and they give out that little beep don't they. Well, not long ago, I was cooking (or should I say burning) dinner and the smoke alarm in the kitchen went off, setting off all the rest and the kids immediately stopped what they were doing and headed for the back door (our exit point), without a single word from me! So they had associated the alarm beeps with the fire drill anyway! I was soooooooo proud of them all!!!

mrsgreen
16-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I set mine off - or go in a room and shout fire fire, blow a whistle etc..

yep i do the same as debbie, with a whistle. i also use a red blanket which i put in different places to practice getting safely around it.

Pudding Girl
16-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I us the smoke alarm tester as above, using a metal ruler to poke it with :) I think children need to know what the sound is.

Someone I know uses a whistle - which is fair enough as long as when the alarm goes off for real that you have your whistle on you to blow, if it could be heard over the alarm?! Cause the whistle is what they would be alerted to iyswim??

Pudding Girl
16-09-2009, 09:41 AM
i also use a red blanket which i put in different places to practice getting safely around it.

fab idea.

I alternate exits each drill.

Ripeberry
16-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Can I just ask a stupid question, but what do you do if your mindee is only 1yr old?
Do you still practice drills? What if they get terrified of the noise. My mindee can't stand the noise of a vaccum cleaner.
Because with a baby you would just pick them up and get out wouldn't you?
Kids from 2yrs+ will understand it all.

Lady Haha
16-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I think if it's just you and a baby this is tricky! It's more a drill for you than for them! And as you are the one doing the drill, it's not a surprise!!! If you hve other mindees, yes, you would just pick up baby and get out!

Zoomie
16-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Personally with a baby I would do the alarm, even if it upset them. Its not like you are going to be in the house for long.

I find it is much trickier with older ones, as they cannot be held rugby ball style under your arm as you make a quick exit.

Really like the idea of a red fire blanket and pracitising getting around it. :thumbsup:

huggableshelly
16-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I use this stuff

http://www.safetyshop.com/products/productdetail.asp?ProductCode=BSA12

i can stand in the lounge or kitchen and spray up the hallway with it to set the alarm off just store it safely like any other sprays.

merry
16-09-2009, 12:15 PM
What about fire drills in the winter? I've only ever done them when the ground is dry and even then I get parents complaining that girls are getting the bottoms of their white socks dirty and can they please stop for a minute to put on their shoes :mad: Also one has a tendency to take off socks as well as shoes no matter how often she's reminded to leave them on, makes a quick exit difficult!

:)

Alibali
16-09-2009, 12:47 PM
I do it when I'm boiling pasta!! 9 times out of ten this sets my alarm off anyway and the kids are already shouting, fire - lets get outside:laughing:

rainbowmummy
16-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I shout fire fire, loudly but even that makes some of mine scared. I used to set the sounder off but everyone just wanted to cling to me for re-assurance which wasn't the best!

I also pick days when the weathers good so as not to worry about wet feet, my policy states not to stop and get shoes so would love to know if anyone knows a way around this.
I was thinking :idea: about getting a fire box which contains the contact details for all parents (just incase I was ever in a real fire situation and didn't have my phone) and put all shoes in it. To then take that out with us but I couldn't guarantee that I would be using the exit closest to the box so can't see any advantage

finally...
once we have completed the drill, I then set the actual sounder off, I have one located in my living room so everyone knows when it will make a noise, and what it sounds like.

miffy
16-09-2009, 12:59 PM
i also use a red blanket which i put in different places to practice getting safely around it.

I like that idea :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
16-09-2009, 01:09 PM
When I get older mindees, my plan is to put their shoes in a box next to the door everytime they come to my house and then when we have a drill, we just grab the box on our way out.
The box would also have a blanket and some umbrellas in case it was raining!
Just wondering if Ofsted would expect you to have practiced the drill with a baby or for you to tell them why you haven't :huh:

youarewhatyoueat
16-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Can I just ask a stupid question, but what do you do if your mindee is only 1yr old?
Do you still practice drills? What if they get terrified of the noise. My mindee can't stand the noise of a vaccum cleaner.
Because with a baby you would just pick them up and get out wouldn't you?
Kids from 2yrs+ will understand it all.

I did it with a 1 year old and it took me an ages to calm her down she hates the hoover too. I can't really see the point of doing a fire drill in our house as its so small and the front and back doors are only about 12 metres apart and as others have said I would just scoop the babies up. I just feel its ott in our house but I do periodically do it and record it just to keep ofsted happy.

sweets
16-09-2009, 07:05 PM
I did it with a 1 year old and it took me an ages to calm her down she hates the hoover too. I can't really see the point of doing a fire drill in our house as its so small and the front and back doors are only about 12 metres apart and as others have said I would just scoop the babies up. I just feel its ott in our house but I do periodically do it and record it just to keep ofsted happy.

Exactly how i feel! my house is the same. i refuse to do it when the babies are here as its just not fair and there is no need for it.

youarewhatyoueat
16-09-2009, 07:05 PM
When I get older mindees, my plan is to put their shoes in a box next to the door everytime they come to my house and then when we have a drill, we just grab the box on our way out.
The box would also have a blanket and some umbrellas in case it was raining!
Just wondering if Ofsted would expect you to have practiced the drill with a baby or for you to tell them why you haven't :huh:

OMG are you really going to do that every day, that is impressive :littleangel: