PDA

View Full Version : Please help me :)

katie0183
15-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I have been childminding for 2 years and currently have a registration of 3 children under 5 years and 2 over. I have a 6 year old daughter (who is not included in these numbers) and have just had a baby boy. Im currently on Mat leave at the mo, but know i have to inform OFSTED that i now have a baby... this i assume reduces my numbers down to 2 children under 5 and 2 children over. However i wondered whether i could pull a cheeky. Before i had Ben (my son) i had 3 under 5's and then one left as mum lost her job (damn recession) so i was going to apply for a variation for continuity of care...
Anyway i've had an enquiry today for a little girl who's 2 years, her mum does shift work and is finding it really difficult for someone in our local area to accomodate this... I'm one of 2 childminders in the area who's open weekends and does occassional overnight care (although overnights not needed)
This little girl would therefore clash in my numbers but only on the occassional day, i've worked out the rest of the year and it works out to be 14 days in total. Its because i look after 1 little one mon to fri and the other only mon - wed (his mums a teacher so dont do half terms or holidays either)
How would i get round this? Or can i at all?
I feel i'm more than capable, the children i look after are fantastic and one of them will also be starting pre-school in January so will have him even less... just seems such a shame if i cant get round the situation for her. Any suggestions ? OR is this a total unrealistic idea?

Pipsqueak
15-09-2009, 08:25 PM
I would apply for a variation to keep myself covered. You never know who is watching or ready to report, if you go over your numbers you are working illegally and without insurance cover as well. For all these things Ofsted would come down on you really heavy.

Plus when you do get that ofsted visit (inspection) they will see from your attendance sheets that you have worked in this manner.

It can't hurt to apply for a variation - if you explain everything carefully and show that you have thought about it (risk assesments, management etc) and accompany it with a letter from mum.

good luck

huggableshelly
15-09-2009, 08:27 PM
too tired to get my head around your post but congrats on baby.

to be honest if I've read it right I do not see why you cant apply for a variation as Ofsted do not know childrens names so can kinda wangle it to say its continuity of care being only 3 sessions a wk at x amount of hours a day for term time only.

someone else will be in soon with a better head than me xxx

katie0183
15-09-2009, 08:28 PM
no i know i need to apply for a variation! Would never do anything illegally what i meant is would i be able to get one? As realistically I am applying for a variation not on the basis of continuity of care?

miffy
15-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I would apply for a variation to keep myself covered. You never know who is watching or ready to report, if you go over your numbers you are working illegally and without insurance cover as well. For all these things Ofsted would come down on you really heavy.

Plus when you do get that ofsted visit (inspection) they will see from your attendance sheets that you have worked in this manner.

It can't hurt to apply for a variation - if you explain everything carefully and show that you have thought about it (risk assesments, management etc) and accompany it with a letter from mum.

good luck

I agree with Pip, best to be honest and straight forward and do things properly.

Good luck - hope it works out for you

Miffy xx

sarah707
15-09-2009, 08:32 PM
The trick I believe is to work with the child for a little while, when you have free time slots, then apply as the hours the parent needs are changing.

It's continuity of care then.

Only problem...? Variations are apparently taking weeks and weeks to come through at the moment :rolleyes:

Hth :D

Pipsqueak
15-09-2009, 08:32 PM
sorry didn't mean to imply that you might:blush:

as kindred says you could go for the continuity of care angle but equally you could state a new case basing it on that you are the only one in the area who can accomodate etc etc....

Goatgirl
15-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi Katie,
If it was me, I'd apply for the variation, based on the fact that the parent is unable to find a childminder to cover the unsocial hours you can offer her, and all the ways you will make sure the children are well cared for despite numbers and ages.
I would think, as its only 14 days in the year, you should have a good chance :thumbsup:

bws,
Wendy :)

huggableshelly
15-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Only problem...? Variations are apparently taking weeks and weeks to come through at the moment :rolleyes:

Hth :D

LOL thats really made me chuckle!

I applied for a variation for september to cover me for an extra child whilst one already in my care settles into fulltime school but only doing parttime hours .... I went into detail of what times I needed and specified days when I would have an extra child. NOW this was sent off in June ... today Ofsted called me to ask if I still needed the variation bit late huh but I ended up turning work down due to their lack of speed.

ah well bedtime xxx

uf353432
15-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Nope I personally would suggest you wangle the continuity of care as Sarah suggested. I tried to get a variation very recently for a child 1 hour a week for VERY desperate parents (not desperate because using me, but limited choices available) and they flat refused to entertain as it wasn't cont of care or sibling etc. They explained in the early years group they are bound by the rules and will not waiver from them - and since they have set up this new variations team I reckon they will get tighter on this.