PDA

View Full Version : a new mystery to the "rising fives!"

charliegee
15-09-2009, 06:23 PM
you lot will probably think I've got an obsession with the subject of rising fives but I've suddenly thought of a possible problem and wanted to ask you guys your thoughts...

rising 5s are classed as 4 year olds - coming up to 5 - who are in full time education

but....what if...one week say...

a child who normally you'd class as a rising 5 is only in school for say 4 days a week out of the 5 (teacher training etc)

what happens then - are they still classed for our numbers as a "rising 5"

sorry for total obsession tonight with this topic but be good to hear your thoughts!

thanks again xx:rolleyes:

Hebs
15-09-2009, 06:30 PM
yes in school holidays they are still classes as a 5 year old (i think) :laughing:

Princess Sara
15-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Yes I'm 99% sure they're still in the 5+ for your ratios. All times from when they get to 10 sessions a week, half terms, holidays, sick days training days etc.

Mari
15-09-2009, 06:36 PM
The way my development worker explained it was that a child who is rising 5 was used to the discipline of full time school. So it wouldn't be until after the school summer holidays that they are classed as a rising 5, but inset days, and half term holidays are ok, class a 4 year old as a five year old if they are in full time education. That's what she said, so that's what I do.

(Hope she is right)

charliegee
15-09-2009, 07:16 PM
The way my development worker explained it was that a child who is rising 5 was used to the discipline of full time school. So it wouldn't be until after the school summer holidays that they are classed as a rising 5, but inset days, and half term holidays are ok, class a 4 year old as a five year old if they are in full time education. That's what she said, so that's what I do.

(Hope she is right)

haha - in all my chat about rising 5's I never thought about school holidays (as only reged over summer!)

gosh!!! thanks for your replys guys

I'm along your thinking and think that it would be the case as your development worker said Mari as makes sense doesn't it.

ahhh....my mind is racing! xxx

The Juggler
15-09-2009, 08:12 PM
yes in school holidays they are still classes as a 5 year old (i think) :laughing:

I hope! or I'm stuffed!

Pipsqueak
15-09-2009, 08:15 PM
once they are classed as rising 5 then they are considered 5 for the purposes of ratios all the time

Shirlwith3
16-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I have spoken tio Ofsted about this & was told that ONCE they are in FULL TIME education they are class as over 5yrs all THE TIME TERM TIME & HOLIDAYS, but are still EY till 31 Aug.

sarah707
16-09-2009, 06:42 AM
I have spoken tio Ofsted about this & was told that ONCE they are in FULL TIME education they are class as over 5yrs all THE TIME TERM TIME & HOLIDAYS, but are still EY till 31 Aug.

I couldn't have put it better myself! :D

Pipsqueak
16-09-2009, 09:21 AM
I have email confirmation from Offy about this - on separate thread in Minding Chat