PDA

View Full Version : Winter Minding

grindal
15-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Its a dark rainy cold afternoon and its got me thinking about minding over the winter. I only started minding in April, and have spent loads of time outside with wet play, water play, messy play, painting etc. What do you all do with mindees in the winter when they have to spend more time inside?

Ripeberry
15-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Good question! But I think the answer is to put them in all-weather suits and wellies and let them get on with it :D
The mum of my 1yr old mindee has got him a good quality breathable playsuit , so I'm thinking of puddles with bubble liquid, you can still use the swings (just put an old towel on it first).
Playing about in fallen leaves, Snow (if we ever get any more). Trying to fly homemade kites in windy weather...loads of possibilities :thumbsup:

Princess Sara
15-09-2009, 03:52 PM
I much prefer the Autumn/Winter but don't really like to be out in it!

We're going to just have to put up with wind, rain and messy hair because the children will happily put a coat on and carry on as usual!

I started minding in June so have no idea what it will be like doing the school run with 4 children and a double buggy in the rain... We shall see how that goes!

grindal
15-09-2009, 04:18 PM
I suppose its more the being dark bit - yes mindees can still play outside when it is cold/raining, but do you let after schoolies and littlies play outside when it is dark :eek:? Maybe i need better outdoor lighting

Twinkles
15-09-2009, 04:44 PM
We still go out with all-in-one suits and wellies.
The problem comes with the after schoolies. We have the usual craft/colouring/jigsaws etc but they still go hyper.
This afternoon they were watching tv for an hour :eek: bad childminder !

nikki13
15-09-2009, 05:31 PM
The problem comes with the after schoolies. We have the usual craft/colouring/jigsaws etc but they still go hyper.

so did we and then switched on the wii

manjay
15-09-2009, 05:42 PM

:eek: :eek: :eek: A whole hour? How could you?:D

For me the school run is the worst. Even though I have a 7 seater I still do not have room for everyone so getting home from school with 8 children soaked is not much fun. The children don't mind as they then get to get changed into my nice warm clothes and end up with hot chocolate to warm us up. We have a lot of snow where we are and that is so much fun. I am waiting for a decision on a grant at the moment that will give me a better covered area in the garden so that will make a big difference to me this year. Just have to keep my fingers crossed I get it.

The Juggler
15-09-2009, 06:14 PM

Trouble with afterschoolies is they are in their uniform so they get really mucky outdoors and parents not best pleased. Outdoor suits are great for little ones though as someone said. However, last year all mine were out in teh dark in the sandpit and on the bikes, just tried to keep big ones off the mud.

Twinkles my TV is on after school most days until tea-time but I think they need to unwind and chill, switch off and as you say sometimes they need it just to calm them down.

mushpea
15-09-2009, 06:46 PM
we still do loads outside, will be going to the woods next week for leaf collectin then puttin them in the tuff spot for sorting and play with which the older children can play with if they choose, the schoolies I have are happy playing either indoors or outdoors anytime of year as r the littlys, i see nothing wrong with being out in all weathers as long as they are wrapped up nice and warm although last year i did have one schooly come to me on a teacher training day in a summer dress, mum had packed trousers but even when i said we were going out for a walk in the cold she wouldnt wear the trousers, i didnt force her as in my oppinoin at 5yrs old she was old enough to make her own mind up plus how do they ever learn if we alway do things for them, anyway, we got half way though the walk and she started moaning that she was cold, soon as we got home she put her trousers on.
tonight on the school run the boy i had didnt have a coat so got soaked on the way home but you can guaruntee that tommor he will com without a coat again!
anyway back to the point, wether its cold or warm outside i still do outdoor activites as per normal.

helenlc
15-09-2009, 07:21 PM
I am not looking forward to the school run. We go in the car but I still have to get a 2 yr old and 16 mth old out and from next month a 9 month old too.

The 2 yr old gets carried everywhere by mum so is a terribly slow walker. This means as much as I try to rush, we are going to be walking very slowly back to the car in the rain!!!:laughing:

I am hoping to get to get some money together and do a canopy over some of my patio, just outside the conservatory doors. This will allow outside play even if its raining. Otherwise we just wrap up warm and carry on as normal (albeit slowly with the 2 yr old!:laughing: )

Tired
15-09-2009, 08:25 PM
One of my mindees isn't allowed to go out in the rain! Its soooooo boring keeping him in, I have to keep the others in too, or its not fair on him.

I sometimes make him put on his coat and wellies and let him go out, then mum moans when she comes to collect him.

In the summer he can't play with the hosepipe etc, in case he gets wet. I do have spare clothes for him, but if I put him in them then mum realises why and I get moaned at again!

So any indoor ideas for a boy who hates craft would be appreciated.

sweets
15-09-2009, 08:27 PM
One of my mindees isn't allowed to go out in the rain! Its soooooo boring keeping him in, I have to keep the others in too, or its not fair on him.

I sometimes make him put on his coat and wellies and let him go out, then mum moans when she comes to collect him.

In the summer he can't play with the hosepipe etc, in case he gets wet. I do have spare clothes for him, but if I put him in them then mum realises why and I get moaned at again!

why on earth can't he go out in the rain! will he melt?:eek:

sarah707
15-09-2009, 08:30 PM

What is the parents' problem?

You must let the child go out ... it's the law!

If you keep him in you are breaking the law :eek:

I think you need to speak to the mum again and find out exactly what her issues are... once the child goes to playgroup they should be outside so she'll have to cope with it then!!

Plus boys need to be out and running around.

Oh oh soap box time! glad it's not one of my parents! :D

TheBTeam
15-09-2009, 08:42 PM

Can you let him out in some of your spare clothes and then change him back into his, if it his clothes getting messed that is bothering her!

I would speak to the mum and say that you simply are not able to restrict all children going out because of the restrictions that she wants for her child, that he will be fine and appropriately clothed for any activity/weather and that you are unable to leave him indoors whilst fulfilling your obligations to the others to get outdoors! Is it medical that he can not get wet?, doesn't sound like it though?

youarewhatyoueat
15-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I think saying its law that you have to let him play out is a bit ott, it may be ofsted regs and part of the eyfs but as far as i'm aware the police would not prosicute a cm for not carrying out the eyfs to the letter,please correct me if i'm wrong.
But I do agree it is very unfair and wrong that the other children are kept in. I would start planning the outings in advance and if she doesn't want her precious child to join in while you are out she can have the option to collect him and bring him back when you are back home or not send him, her choice.
Personally when my youngest went to playgroup I was very gratefull they did outdoor play as I certainly didn't want to do it every day.
I'm not looking forward to a long winter, but will go to a toddler group and the childrens centre in the mornings and then a walk in the wet/cold/wind/snow etc lovely look forward to that lol

karen123
11-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I am new to child minding and have run into a problem. the parent of the child i mind has said that she expected me to to do the school run in the car. I dont live that far from school so i walk all weathers. Dont think parent is happy about this and doesnt seem to want her child walking if its raining. I know this is going to brought up nxt time i am minding. Any advise how to handle this.:panic:

loocyloo
11-09-2010, 06:51 PM
i walk whatever the weather ( unless i have less children AND i am going on somewhere that i need the car! )

i had a mum drop off in the rain one morning who said ''oh, you'll need to drive today'' i said, no, we'll walk, we'll get wet parking and walking into school anyway! i say that i, the car and the buggy get wetter walking, plus LO stay drier under raincovers! and the older LO love jumping in puddles! we always leave enough time to have fun!

i also slip into conversation at interview time that walking is non-negotiable, and children do walk! i don't use the buggy unless really necessary!

all my LO have a change of clothes/wellies and waterproofs at my house, schoolies should have waterproofs in their bags, and most keep at least a change of socks at my house!

and as for school uniform and getting it dirty at home - most of my boys are usually covered in mud anyway! i don't restrict the children at all and if they get muddy, they get muddy! you should see the mess they can get into with paint, and thats wearing aprons! :rolleyes: i must be lucky, i haven't had a parent complain about it - but some LO wear an outfit once and i never see it again :blush:

i also have lights outside and sometimes the boys ( in particular! ) are outside playing football in the gloom !!!

PixiePetal
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I ask parents for spare everything - down to socks and pants!

I don't drive so they all know we could be out getting wet, can't say I enjoy sorting out the dripping clothes when we get in but as I do no school runs now, we avoid the heaviest showers if we can.

We play with the light up toys, with the lights off in the playroom, at the end of the day when it's dark - great fun :thumbsup:

gigglinggoblin
11-09-2010, 08:59 PM
I am new to child minding and have run into a problem. the parent of the child i mind has said that she expected me to to do the school run in the car. I dont live that far from school so i walk all weathers. Dont think parent is happy about this and doesnt seem to want her child walking if its raining. I know this is going to brought up nxt time i am minding. Any advise how to handle this.:panic:

Stick to your guns! Explain walking is better for their health, the environment and your pocket - meaning she doesnt have to pay the extra fees for you to drive. If she is so unhappy she looks elsewhere then its a shame but you will find more mindees, you will really regret trying to do it all the parents way, with some it is a case of give them an inch and they will take a mile! You are being totally reasonable to walk, tell her if she is worried about a coat she can always leave a spare at your house so she doesnt have to worry in the morning.

Mouse
11-09-2010, 09:02 PM
I find the little ones hardly seem to notice the cold & wet and will play outside as normal. They might have wellies, coats, hats & gloves on rather than the summer sunhats & t-shirts, but they play quite happily - it's me standing freezing & hugging a hotwater bottle :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
11-09-2010, 09:13 PM
If they want to be out in the cold, windy, yukky weather, then so be it. Its not my problem (well it is but I have ways and means round it) if parents don't supply decent and adequate clothing. I have spares of raincoats, macs, wellies and clothing and will if necessary change the child and icky clothing goes into a bag to go home.
I explain that we walk lots, go puddle jumping, play in mud, roll around in the snow etc and please supply spare clothing.

As for a parent expecting you to do school run in the car - not on your nelly mate.

The Juggler
11-09-2010, 09:37 PM
If they want to be out in the cold, windy, yukky weather, then so be it. Its not my problem (well it is but I have ways and means round it) if parents don't supply decent and adequate clothing. I have spares of raincoats, macs, wellies and clothing and will if necessary change the child and icky clothing goes into a bag to go home.
I explain that we walk lots, go puddle jumping, play in mud, roll around in the snow etc and please supply spare clothing.

As for a parent expecting you to do school run in the car - not on your nelly mate.

I agree. walking and getting wet is good for them! I only have a 5 seater so there's no chance. I'm often to be found cooking tea wearing my coat whilst the kids play outside in the middle of winter...brrrrr but they are happyx

ChocolateChip
12-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I carry on pretty much as normal in the winter, we are all just dressed up a lot more! The only thing I won't do is drive to toddlers, etc. if the roads are icy so in that case we might have an 'at home' day, but we will probably still get out to the garden or the park if it's ok.
One day last year I put a spare coverless quilt (white) over my sofa, and the lo's used the cosytoes to 'toboggan' down it, they had great fun!
With the schoolies we tend to come in and have hot chocolate with our snack, then they are happy to do crafts or chill out, I find they like to get the dressing up out and do 'shows', they are also happy playing with the megablocks and things that the lo's have had out. If they do need to get rid of some energy we will do dancing, either to the wii or just to some music but the park is on our way back from school so if it's not too wet we will usually have gone in there for 10 minutes until they've had enough. Quite often they will help to do some cooking like making crumble for pud, pizzas, cheese scones, nothing too major else it puts tea back too much.

I think unless there was a medical reason for a child not to get wet I would be asking the parent to either agree to my activities or to look elsewhere as I don't think it's right to keep everyone else in and curtail what they are experiencing because of one child, all my parents know we go out in all weathers and have school runs to do and none of them have a problem with it.

estrelas
12-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I walk every where although i can drive