PDA

View Full Version : Fimo

louise
15-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi, I haven't used this since i was a kid but i'm thinking of using it to do a tree dec with my ds and mindee who are both 5. Now after taking ages to rememeber the name i have found different versions. Which is the best? Do i have to have anything else i did see varnish mention. Also where is the best place to get it? Sorry got a day off and trying to plan xmas bits. I know its early but i only have 1 mindee 1 day and 3 2days and i realised i dont have much time to do bits.
Thanks Lou

Chatterbox Childcare
15-09-2009, 12:07 PM
I just use the basic stuff. Afterwards when it is dry you can varnish.

Mouse
15-09-2009, 12:18 PM
I was looking into getting some recently, but it is quite expensive, about £1.80 for a colour block. I think that was for 25g.

I think Fimo is better for older children as you don't get much in a block & really need to make smaller things with it. Hobbycraft stocks loads of it.

For younger children I'd use a cheaper air drying clay. You can usually buy it from The Works, Banana Bookshop etc. Fimo do an air drying version in various colours (I think they're skin tone).

With the coloured Fimo we've never varnished it & just leave it as it is. With plain clay we leave it to harden, then use paints or pens to colour it & a coat of varnish over the top.

louise
15-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Thank you for the replies.
I have got air drying clay but i quite like the idea of the fimo being coloured as ds has problems with fine motor skills and his painting is still very large. I know he will have problems with the fimo but if he makes a mistake it will be easier to for him to change.
I had a quick look on a website and they had 56g for 1.45

Peppa
15-09-2009, 08:09 PM
the range have some not sure of price but they also do another one called.... um sculpie something like that. My 5yr old wanted some. I couldn't find any fimo (till i bought something else typical!) I bought coloured air dry clay from elc. Children love it. however it doesn't stay together aswell as fimo!

the range do varnish too and tools