PDA

View Full Version : cooking for diabetics

mushpea
15-09-2009, 07:05 AM
hi just wonded if anyone had any recipes that diabetics can eat that children can make, not meals but stuff he could take home like cakes etc savoury or sweet.
mindess mum has just found out shes diabetic and has got the hump she cant enjoy our cooking anymore:ohdear:

amirose
15-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Oooo how about this http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/2743/vanilla-angel-cake.aspx

My ex was diabetic and he can still eat the naughty things, but in small quantities and as a treat - which really that's what they should be anyway :thumbsup:

Think its a great idea to make things especially for her though :clapping:

mandy moo
15-09-2009, 09:45 AM
How about trying either of these

www.bda.uk or
www.diabetes.org.uk

mandy

barbarella68
15-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I am Diabetic and have been for 11 years.I still eat normal cakes but little and often.If I make cakes I use canderel which is good or just add more fruit then you don't need sugar.If you write to canderel they will send you a cook book.:) Hope this helps.

mandy moo
15-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I am Diabetic and have been for 11 years.I still eat normal cakes but little and often.If I make cakes I use canderel which is good or just add more fruit then you don't need sugar.If you write to canderel they will send you a cook book.:) Hope this helps.

Are you type 2 barbarella?
Im also diabetic, type 2 on Metformin.
I have been told so many diffrent things by diffrent people over the past 3 1/2 yrs since I was diagnosed, about what i should be eating and not be eating, I went with my diabetic nurse who said a little of what you fancy Occasionaly wont hurt , use you head.. so thats what I do.

I think you also need to find out wether the person invovled (sorry i didnt find it clear wether it was the child or the mum who was diabetic) is Type 1 insulin dependant or type 2 which can be either weight controled or weight and tablet/medication controled like me.
It may be easier then to look for recipies for what she can cook and eat:thumbsup:
Just a thought :)