PDA

View Full Version : What to do with new mindee ...

Stanfield
14-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Hello,

I have a 15month boy starting soon, I have some ideas for my planning ( under the theme, all about me) but I was wondering what type of activities you all do to make a child feel welcome in your setting?

sophiestars
14-09-2009, 09:33 PM
I have mindees of a similar age and before they started i gave their Mum's an 'All about me' sheet for them to fill out with everything i needed to know - food likes/dislikes, nap times, daily routine etc etc and also a section about their favourite activities so the first few times they came I could set out toys that I knew they liked to make them feel at home with something familiar.
To start with I didn't try any 'set activities' such as painting, just tried to keep it more free play so that they were able to choose what they wanted to do. They did like the sand pit and water play, though, but as free play so they could wander over if they wanted to. If you want something for them to take home for Mum you could put out some wax crayons and paper to scribble on (watch they don't eat them though!)

singlewiththree
15-09-2009, 06:20 AM
I have two mindees that age and they started back last week after the 6wk holiday and I just got out toys, they love bob the builder, playing outside. I have to be careful as one is an "eater" everything goes in his mouth. I would just let them play to start with so you can see exactly what they like to do. One of mine has a transjectory schema (throwing) so its soft things all round :)