PDA

View Full Version : got a confession

sweets
14-09-2009, 07:04 PM
:panic: :panic: i was just thinking, i don't think i really understand the eyfs:blush: :blush: . all i seem to do is when i do an obs on a child i link it to a couple of areas but if you really think about it then nearly every activity will link to ALL 6 areas. so whats the real point of it?

I am not saying i disagree with it, i think its good that we have to do something, but i'm not sure what i actually do.

When i think of an activity i don't plan it round eyfs, for eg messy play, i just think lets do that it will be fun and the children will like it.

I find it very hard to explain to parents what it actually is as i find none of them are interested in it!

Please tell me i am not alone in this:blush:

loocyloo
14-09-2009, 07:07 PM
[QUOTE=sweets;526301]

When i think of an activity i don't plan it round eyfs, for eg messy play, i just think lets do that it will be fun and the children will like it.

QUOTE]

thats what i do, but then, when i look at my weekly plan, i sometimes notice i have neglected one area a bit, so i make sure i plan an activity for that!

none of my parents are that interested either !

sweets
14-09-2009, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=sweets;526301]

QUOTE]

thats what i do, but then, when i look at my weekly plan, i sometimes notice i have neglected one area a bit, so i make sure i plan an activity for that!

none of my parents are that interested either !

yes but nearly every thing can be linked to every area in some way! thats what confuses me i think! doesn't take much lol

singlewiththree
14-09-2009, 07:31 PM
I observe the children playing then I find one specific area of development that stands out from the reach or are missing in the folder. Then I link it to the age development chart as to what age range the child is up to and date it and write what kind of obs it was, artwork, observation, video, photos etc.

FussyElmo
14-09-2009, 08:32 PM
My confession is I like the practice guidance:blush: :blush: :blush:

My cm friend thinks I have gone out when I say the children have done something which comes under a certain age and area of learning.

However saying that most of the activites I do are done purely for enjoyment but I think thats the beauty of the EYFS that is how it is supposed to be.

Annie_T
14-09-2009, 09:24 PM
i dont understand the eyfs either hun, im due a training course tho so hopefully will help me,

i not really looked at the chart to see where mindee is etc as i want them settle in first but i got learn how link it all etc as i noooo clue lol x

Trouble
14-09-2009, 09:26 PM
i told my inspector i still dont understand it but he said i must be doing something right:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

sweets
14-09-2009, 09:28 PM
i think my problem is am trying to go into it too deep if you know what i mean! either that or i really am thick:blush: :laughing:

Trouble
14-09-2009, 09:30 PM
its there in your head

any one thing relates tyo vertually all areas

have a look tomorrow at snack time and see how many you can relate to:D :clapping: :thumbsup:

uf353432
14-09-2009, 10:11 PM
See before summer holidays I used to go really in depth - but with all the new children I have found a much easier way to do mine. Now I just note the highlight of the day - or something I found particularly interesting in a child.

Today I noted that the child I had for his age has remarkable stamina for walking considering his age. I also noted his good sharing and his natural empathy as he gave hugs to 2 different children who were crying. Now the first note is relating to PD and the others to PSED. On a day to day I don't go much deeper than that. Then every other week I will dedicate a week to in depth observations. I will allocate a time and do an observation on what that child is doing at that time, who/what they are playing with, what they are saying and even though I could pick out loads of things I will focus on the main thing that arises from that observation and plan next steps on that.

I don't think I get it totally - I make it up as it goes along. But from what I have gathered I don't think Ofsted particularly understand either and there is no right or wrong answers.

mabel
15-09-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree, I was doing far too much planning and making sure they fitted the criterias etc doing paper work galore and who is ever going to read it all,
even the school seemed suprised to get a learning journey from me,
so I would like to simplify my paperwork system and perhaps enjoy just the fun of looking after the children.

sweets
15-09-2009, 07:43 AM
thing is i do the minimum paperwork and do only a couple of obs a month on each child, i have no problem linking them. i don't really do planning and my DW said its all absolutely fine. doing this got me a good in my last inspection.

What i meant was... oh i don't know how to explain really:panic: lol.

what i find hard to understand is when people say ' i do the EYFS'

Well what do we do? we just link normal everyday things to it! we don't really do it!

How do you explain to new parents what it is?

Am i making sense?

Probably not:laughing:

FussyElmo
15-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Ok if you take the paperwork away and ignore it you are doing the EYFS. Because you are letting the child play and learn. You follow their interests and let them explore.

The paperwork is there to prove that we are doing it - I dont see it as the core point more the backup. You have something to refer to - to see where the child is and suggestions on how to extend.

I only do an ob a month (might do one if the mindee does something spectacular).

I love my learning journey and so do the parents and seeing the one the pre school did well there is no comparsion mine rocks because the child is doing what they want!!!

mrsgreen
15-09-2009, 10:10 AM
i know the EYFS is abit tricky to get your head around, can i suggest maybe finding out if your LA do a course in observation, assesment and planning?
mine do and it was really good. helps put everything in to place and how to link play into the EYFS.
good luck.

Chatterbox Childcare
15-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I use the EYFS as a foundation but not the be all and end all.

I use it to make sure that the children get an all round play and not just what we need to do.

I am all for it.

Lily Grace
15-09-2009, 12:25 PM
My planning has gone out of the window, I just dont have time. Plus I only have G 2 days a week from 8 till 3. His parents are not bothered as long as he is happy and settled. I think you have to go with the flow with the children. I would set up an activity and G would not be interested or he would want to have a nap.