PDA

View Full Version : Earrings **Update**

Pipsqueak
14-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Ok, spoke to (NCMA) Insurers this morning (apparently I am the first to ever ask this !!! lol)

They would prefer it that no earrings are worn due to the health and safety aspects BUT realise its a parents perogative. In that case they would prefer studs or easily released earrings (ie not with safety catches).

They advised:
discussion with parent at health and safety issues
discussion about alternatives - such as different earrings, parents putting in studs while in minders care, covering with tape if possible etc (parent to put on and remove) etc etc.
getting parents to sign a permission slip and disclaimer stating that they understand the health and safety issues of their child wearing earrings, and that they cannot hold you (the minder) responsible for any resulting damage or injury that occurs whilst in your care

I have now done a permission and disclaimer! Mum to sign later.

Child does have different earrings in this morning - hooped (could get my index finger through them) wire ones that loop into the back of the earring instead of the daft safety catch ones that she did have on. So well done to mum for trying but IMO not good enough.

Hope that helps. going to add in a policy into my health and safety section as well

daisyboo1980
14-09-2009, 10:15 AM
at least she tried alittle maybe with a little more nudging from u she will have studs in for the next time:)

Blaze
14-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for that - will add into my policies too!:thumbsup:

georgie456
14-09-2009, 10:25 AM
It's an interesting one - thanks for letting us know what NCMA said.

I think I might keep this info in case I ever have a similar thing come up.

The Juggler
14-09-2009, 01:22 PM
thanks for investigating. will have to get a form done myself.

Well done you!

Pipsqueak
14-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Well mum was happy to sign the permission and disclaimer and accepted that an accident could occur (but is adamant that it won't!).

Checked with nursery today and they are a no-no about hooped earrings as well - which mum is well aware of. Nursery policy is none but if parents exist they have to sign a disclaimer as well.

Twinkles
14-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Well mum was happy to sign the permission and disclaimer and accepted that an accident could occur (but is adamant that it won't!).

Checked with nursery today and they are a no-no about hooped earrings as well - which mum is well aware of. Nursery policy is none but if parents exist they have to sign a disclaimer as well.

In my experience it's the parents existing that causes all the problems :rolleyes:

Pipsqueak
14-09-2009, 06:40 PM
In my experience it's the parents existing that causes all the problems :rolleyes:

PMSL - freudian slip????

insist I meant lol

Daddy Day Care
14-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Cheers for lettnig us nkow this pip

Gareth
xx

kindredspirits
14-09-2009, 08:28 PM
not come across this problem but i think i'd refuse - if an earring fell out and another mindee decided to swallow it :panic:

Pipsqueak
14-09-2009, 08:34 PM
not come across this problem but i think i'd refuse - if an earring fell out and another mindee decided to swallow it :panic:

ooh that bit hadn't even crossed my mind:panic:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
14-09-2009, 08:59 PM
or stepped on it that could hurt too!

Chatterbox Childcare
15-09-2009, 07:20 AM
I think you have done everything you can. My own children had hoops and there were not any accidents.

I understand your concern but we could worry about everything and not achieve anything.

Pipsqueak
15-09-2009, 07:41 AM
I think you have done everything you can. My own children had hoops and there were not any accidents.

I understand your concern but we could worry about everything and not achieve anything.

Totally agree with you Debbie and I am not given to panic or worrying unnecessarily really. But I know my setting and its very very lively and I would hate for a child to get hurt in what could have been a preventable accident. Not to mention I don't want to be held responsible for it in the sue culture.
I myself had a hooped (easily released) earring pulled out my ear when I was younger (in my early teens) and boy did it hurt along with lots of blood.