PDA

View Full Version : Mindee starting tomorrow and had no proper settling in

Zoomie
13-09-2009, 08:20 PM
:( :( :(

Mindee is polish and 2, so settling in hasn't been straightforward.

Came twice two weeks ago, then once last week, all the time with mum.

Was suppose to come again last week with mum and then on Friday on her own, but she was unwell.

So tomorrow, when I have a really full house (have 3 before schoolies, and 2 two-year olds) she will be left here on her own.

I have a list of polish words that she uses, but I am really worried that she will become upset and I won't be able to settle her down because we won't really understand each other.

So wish me lots of good polish talking tomorrow and her mums familiarity ... for my first day with 3 two-year olds.

youarewhatyoueat
13-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Good luck, a cuddle and a smile is the same in any language, i'm sure you'll be fine x

sarah707
13-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Oh that's going to be so hard on her and you!

Mum really should have gone and let you deal with her... is she struggling with leaving her?

I hope it goes ok tomorrow. Just keep it really gentle and calm if you can. Good luck! :D

Lady Haha
13-09-2009, 08:33 PM
No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to wish you luckx

Zoomie
13-09-2009, 08:38 PM
thanks for the wishes.

no I don;t think mum has a issue leaving, although from what I understand she hasn't been left too often in the past.

it would have been fine (or a bit more prepared) if she hadn't got sick for the last two settling in sessions.

oh well, need to just finish off my flashcards and laminate them ... all ready for tomorrow.

margimum
13-09-2009, 08:48 PM
will you use picture cards?
Get her watching Mr. Tumble too and she'll pick up the signing easily.
A cuddle and singing (la la without real words) may settle her too if she gets upset :)

Miriam
13-09-2009, 08:50 PM
No words of wisdom I'm afraid - just wanted to wish you best of luck :)

tashaleee
13-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Best of luck for tomorrow - unfortunately Ive been in your shoes except I had absolutely no settling in, child spoke very little english as did dad! Mums english was very good though. Eventually child and I worked things through - did a lot of sign language, Mr Tumble was useful so we made a point of that. I totally gave up with Polish as everytime I used to try the child ignored me :rolleyes: mum just found it funny! Children play together regardeless of language issues, so if you have 3 2year olds (as I do some days) then they should mix well. Even if your polish child doesnt understand they will soon get the hang of routines. I always found with my child they didnt want to speak until they felt more confident, but were happy to sign to me and we used lots of general hand gestures.

Hope my rambling helps and Im sure you will be fine :thumbsup:

Zoomie
13-09-2009, 10:16 PM
:panic::panic: :panic: when is Mr Tumble on ???

Zoomie
14-09-2009, 08:54 PM
:update:

Well LO came today, mum was rushing, and trying to explain that mindee could only have water, some strange looking snack in a tupperware and no fruit or milk ....

LO was fine when mum left, and probably for about 20 minutes. She was a little bit unsettled on the 5 min walk to school, and okay till we got to the local park .... but at the park, when I tried to keep her near me, she got upset and it was the start of many upsets .... she seemed to settled inbetween but her snack was different to the other children, she kept saying words that I had no idea and wanted milk and banan ... both of which I was told not to give (but didn't know why) ...

At noon I finally remembered that I had her bottle, so gave her that and she was asleep in minutes. Bless her.

Turns out she was unwell last week, and GP has told mum to stop her milk (apparently she drinks milk instead of eating) and had some reaction to strawberries and has been consistated since Sun ???

I fear tomorrow will be harder, as previously she only had good memories of me and my house, but now she has today to remember about.:(

Just think the combo of unfamiliar carer, and her comforts (milk) being taken away at the same time is not good for LO.

caroljayne
15-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Sounds like the same mum of my little one today lol!
Hope today has gone better for you and her.
XxXxX