PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! Food Inspectors coming - Thurs

Heaven Scent
26-02-2008, 02:55 PM
HELP please has anyone else registered as a food premises I was told to on food hygiene course and was told they would not be inspecting childminders but you have to register also told on ICP and there is something about it in NCMA handbook.

Got a phone call on yesterday and they wanted to come today or Thurs told them out all day today and he asked me where I had to go so told him to childminders group and shopping for walpaper cause had a flood in my house and needed it for decorators white lie did that yesterday but had to think on my feet oven in despirate need of a clean and also some stuck on dirt on microwave turntable so need to get it done all soaking in oven cleaner now.

Asked at childminding group and I appear to be the only egit childminder in Congleton who is registered.

Has anyone else registered and if so what do they look at?????????

Celine :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rubybubbles
26-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I had a letter through in Jan as all childminders in my area now have to reg, was under the impression that they wouldn't be coming out though? DO you provide meals ect?, I only do snacks and heat baby food

Spangles
26-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Sorry I haven't had to register YET as only childminders with assistants or working in partnership have to register here at the moment.

I'd be cleaning like a maniac if it were me! Anti-bacing everything in sight! Was told on a course I went on a few weeks back that they visited a childminder here and they did swabs on all sorts! The speakers reckoned that that's not at all normal though and there must have been a reason behind it!

Ant-bac and then ant-bac some more that's what I'd do!

Good luck, please let us know what happens as I'd be really interested to know.

Heaven Scent
26-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Yip I provide all meals snacks etc.

Celine

Heaven Scent
26-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Sorry put this in wrong section can I cut and paste it in the correct section or does it not make any difference.

Celine:eek: :eek:

Spangles
26-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Don't worry, one of the moderators will probably move it for you.

You could always pm Angel, Sarah or Dee and ask them to move it if you like but I think they will anyway.

It's very easy to put them in the wrong place sometimes!

sarah707
26-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I have a letter from Macclesfield confirming they do not want me to register with them yet... I am hoping that doesn't change in the near future!

From what I gather, you will get a 'safer food better business' pack to use and a load of questions so they can determine whether you are safe. You will need to use a food probe for testing food temps to 75c and a fridge thermometer.

Hope this helps! :D

chubbymummy
26-02-2008, 04:37 PM
i went on my food hygiene on saturday
there was no mention of being registered
so i'm not going to

Fee
26-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I thinks he has a flaming cheeck to ask you where you were going, you where out and thats thats.
Fee

Angela234
26-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I have had an inspection i only had 15 mins notice called said they were in the area and could they come god what a rush.

They check your fridge how you stack foods make sure you cover all foods
Temp; they ask how often you check them i was told to start recording them
same with freezer

Make sure no foods left on sides

they ask how you clean surfaces, Knifes for meat (always separate) boards ect

I was told to wear apron when cooking and serving food

Ask about cooking meals when cooling how long before you put in fridge/freezer ect.

They didn't look in my oven thank god!

Hope this helps

Angela

Heaven Scent
26-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey looks like I'm the only gomless twit that has done so I feel like a tight twit to be putting myself through all this so close to insp actually thats why I did it thought it was a requirement that I was supposed to meet. Wish I had registered on this site before I did probably would have checked before going head long and done it. That reminds me I'm going to open another thread with another question only because I need the practice.

Sarah, lucky for me I bought a food probe and fridge therm (freezer has one built in and displays temp on outside) two weeks ago so am prepared in that way also have ordered a fridge & freezer record sheet from either childminding treasures or another person on ebay but haven't received them yet. I ordered them the same day I ordered from your site and your payment cleared the other day but theirs doesn't appear to because I haven't received the stuff from them yet. I must chase them up and see where payment is up to could do with them asap.

Thanks for all your help everyone but if someone has been through this pleas let me have some tips or if someone is in the know HELP!!!!

Celine:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Celine

Monkey1
26-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I havent registered yet. If it comes down to it i will tell parents to bring ready pre pared food so all i will have to do is store it in the fridge!

littletreasures
26-02-2008, 06:12 PM
I've done a Foundation Course on Food Hygiene. The only other thing I've done is fill in a questionnaire about how I do things in the kitchen. What chopping boards I use, how I clean the worktops etc.

I then got a letter from my local council thanking me for return the food premises registration form and to tell me I was now registered. Nobody came out to see me at all.

Good luck
Jules

Lincsminder
26-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I havent registered yet. If it comes down to it i will tell parents to bring ready pre pared food so all i will have to do is store it in the fridge!

Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but even if all you do is open a lunch box or pour a drink of water you will be considered a food premises.

sarah707
26-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Yes Skegminder is right... if they tell you to register, then you have to register... some areas have had this in place for a few years already, it's just a bit slower taking off in others! It doesn't matter whether you cook or serve, if you handle food for others in any way you will have to prove you do it safely.

Oh another joy! :D

miffy
26-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Think I'll just wait til this comes knocking at my door!

Hopefully in a very long time :D

Miffy xx

Hopscotch
26-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I am registered with my council as a food premises, someone from environmental health phoned me up and asked me all these questions like where do you store raw meat, veg etc.
As i have done a food hygiene course about 3 times and i answered all the questions they asked they were just happy with that.
mind you it was about 18 months ago now but i think it is different in different area's.
Bev X

angeldelight
26-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Mine was the same as you Bev

Angel xx

deeb66
26-02-2008, 07:19 PM
We have been advised by our Early Years Team to not register yet as the council haven't got a clue how to deal with us!!

When I had my inspection a couple of weeks ago my inspector said that it was fairly common around the country :(

angeldelight
26-02-2008, 07:23 PM
I could believe that Dee

Ours was straight forward though and we had a letter from the council saying we had to do it

I think its very stupid how it is different depending on where you live

Angel xx

Twinkles
26-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I had someone come round years ago from environmental health when I first registered. But no-one since.

lindylou
26-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi i have been registered for years and they come out every couple of years i have never had any actions i always just get a copy of the visit saying no further action.
You need to no what temperature your fridge and freezer should be at and they just ask you a few basic questions
Lindaxx

nell57
26-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi Celine
I'm just over the Staffordshire border from you and I had to register as food business with stoke on trent council last month, so expecting phone call any time. Good luck and let us know how it goes on Thurs .

Helen

crazybones
26-02-2008, 08:09 PM
You are all scaring me now because my cooker looks like it is from another planet. Note to self, must go and buy cooker cleaner. (or put it on hubbys to do list :D )

Annie x

miffy
26-02-2008, 08:39 PM
You are all scaring me now because my cooker looks like it is from another planet. Note to self, must go and buy cooker cleaner. (or put it on hubbys to do list :D )

Annie x

I'd opt for the second option :laughing:

Miffy xx

Rubybubbles
26-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Annie x

the cooker would be my main worry, but then I don't use it for childminding:clapping: :clapping: stay away from the oven:o

manjay
26-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Mine's supposed to be self cleaning and it still looks like it comes from another planet!!

I think I would get the cooker angels round :D

amanda xx

Heaven Scent
27-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks for all of this everyone will let you all know on Thurs how I get on.

Celine:littleangel: :littleangel:

oakie dokie
27-02-2008, 06:50 AM
if we were to all register at the same time, they just would not have the man power to come and inspect. Our developement officer keeps saying it would be "good practice" to register but when we enquired we were told we didnt have to? so until i have to im not going to.

hazelx

Tatia
27-02-2008, 10:26 AM
We're still waiting to be told when we need to register. I have the Safer Food, Better Business pack though and it's ridiculous the amount of paperwork involved. They can come this week cos I just had a new cooker delivered yesterday so all shiny and new. I cannot be responsible for its condition by next week, though, hehe.

Just another of the joys of childminding, we get inspected from every body at every angle. They'll be doing prostate inspections next!

Pauline
27-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Good luck Celine I'm sure you will be fine.

NCMA say not to register unless told to do so, so best to just act ignorant (easy for me to do :))

Heaven Scent
27-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Thanks Pauline

I think I just read through the NCMA handbook and panic set in and thought I better do it before Ofsted come as I've said before I wish I'd looked at this forum months ago did look at site but thought it was only for people who had Morton Michel packs and just didn't bother to try. So much going on at once and not enough time to gather all thoughts together.

Celine

Pauline
27-02-2008, 12:55 PM
that''s the problem isn't it? you are bombarded with so much information when you start out and don't know where to turn, luckily you have found the forum now and will be able to run things by the girls before taking the plunge!! :)

Niecynoo
28-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I have had two inspections now and have opted to stop preparing meals parents supply packed lunch i provide snacks, I have a caterers number for those who want me to provide meals(an option given on first meeting) she is really good and quite cheap in fact EH insp. who did mine also does hers and recommended her too. They would've been more thorough if I'd prepared meals and she kindly dropped off a Safer food Better Business pack for me !!! sooo much more paper work !!!! I still have to record fridge/freezer temps twice a day varying the times and they want to see past records of this, opened food must be labelled dated rewrapped etc and any food 1day out is a penalty I've not had 1 this year since opting out but she did say childminders are randomley picked...... watch this space now I've opened my mouth lol xxx