PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a childminder

NinkyNonk
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I am thinking about becoming a childminder next year once my little girl is at school. I believe there is a course I would need to do...is it worth doing the course (from home if possible) in the meantime so I would be ready - or does it need to be done at the time?

Thanks.

tulip0803
12-09-2009, 08:43 PM
You normally have to attend a breifing session with your local authority before starting any courses. The breifing session is designed to give you the information that you need to decide whether childminding is for you ad what support is available in your area.

The course is normally run through the local authority and is (normally) free. There is a home-study way but you may have to finance that yourself. It is best that you ring your local Family Information Service first as they will be able to advise you about the briefing sessions and answer any questions that you have. They can also tell you whether there is a demand for childminders in your area (normally is).

Good Luck

Sally G
13-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi i have just done the two meetings they were both in school time so i could drop her off go to the meeting and pick her up after lunch! mine was free - really intresting and informative - good luck

The Juggler
15-09-2009, 08:14 PM
did you get some info about where you can do the ICP course?

NinkyNonk
19-09-2009, 07:47 PM
No I haven't yet...was going to call the local council and see what info they have?

The Juggler
20-09-2009, 02:27 PM
they usually run the briefing sessions monthly. then the ICP leading up to registration. worth checking how demand is in your area before you go through everything though.

some areas seem fine and some there is very little demand at the moment.