PDA

View Full Version : need help with obs

nic76
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
not done any before and the more i read the more i confuse myself.(easily done .lol)

do i need to do obs for over 8's

can i do one book for all kids as they are not need for parent just to show ofstead we actually do things?????????

nic76
13-09-2009, 09:38 AM
ok i have just been reading my journal i got from ncma and it says a book for each child and then when child leaves offer it to the parent.

i am sooo confused as to why ofstead want us to do these as if you dont get an inspection for say 2 yrs and your child leaves then you could have nothing to show ofstead as parents want the book

youarewhatyoueat
13-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Have a look in your eyfs pack and also get yourself the practical eyfs handbook by penny tassoni you can get it on amazon, have a look on sarah nevs website she does some ebooks that will help and also speak to your developmental officer and ask for some local training to be put on a saturday for you.Have a good search through this site and look on the free downloads for obs forms. Keep on asking questions and we will all help. Got to run sorry x

youarewhatyoueat
13-09-2009, 09:45 AM
ps. I will gladly email you some forms that I use if you pm me your email but i've got to go out now

sarah707
13-09-2009, 09:48 AM
ok i have just been reading my journal i got from ncma and it says a book for each child and then when child leaves offer it to the parent.

i am sooo confused as to why ofstead want us to do these as if you dont get an inspection for say 2 yrs and your child leaves then you could have nothing to show ofstead as parents want the book

Yes that's a tough one... but it must not stop you doing the things you need to do with the children.

Think about it another way ... Ofsted turn up to investigate a malicious complaint and ask to see your obs for a particular child.

It is a legal requirement to do observations, planning etc. You're not just doing it for Ofsted visits, you're doing it for the good of the child and to involve the parents.

Caroline has given you some good tips as well!

Hth :D

nic76
13-09-2009, 09:51 AM
thankyou ladies so pleased i found this site

nic76
14-09-2009, 07:49 PM
right have done abit of paper work. what i want to know is when i do my obs on each child do i have to do all 6 areas in one day or can i spread it out in a week.

still cant get my head around it.

once i get the hang of it i will be ok it just doing that first bit:idea:

sarah707
14-09-2009, 07:53 PM
right have done abit of paper work. what i want to know is when i do my obs on each child do i have to do all 6 areas in one day or can i spread it out in a week.

still cant get my head around it.

once i get the hang of it i will be ok it just doing that first bit:idea:

You are looking for a range of observations over a couple of weeks to a month...

Write them up if the child makes you go 'wow, he's just done that' or think 'I really must tell mum about that one!'...

Link them to the Eyfs and think about how you can plan for his next steps ...his individual needs... more things he will enjoy to bring him on.

Share them with his mum / dad and ask for their input too :D