PDA

View Full Version : A few tips needed please...

angiemog
12-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I currently look after a 15 month old, 1 year old and soon an 8 month old. I will only have the 3 of them together 1 day a week. At the mo the 15 month and one year old are happy to play. I do (attempt) singing time using different resources and dancing, I have a treasure basket and another sensory basket, try to do some messy play and story time but generally they just like to play. I take them out for walks to park and library. Does anyone have any other ideas (I have Sarahs 0-3 e book which has given me a few) of anything else I can do. I feel I'm not doing enough to engage them and I feel guilty just letting them play. Thanks for reading. x

I also have a 2 year old and 4 year old part time. So I have different combinations of children every day.

FussyElmo
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Dont feel guilty about letting them play. It is the most important part of growning up. If thats what they are happy doing then let them.

They are very young and wont want structure. Sing with them at all times when they are playing they will soon join in in their own way.

As long as you are introducing new things and experiance you are doing it right.

rickysmiths
12-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Sounds like your'e doing fine to me. At those age groups everything is play lead. I have 3.5 down to 9mths with 2 5yr before and after school. With the little ones I talk to them a lot, pointing out things in the books they pull out to look at, or what we see when we are out and about or in the garden.

angeldelight
12-09-2009, 08:44 AM
They learn through play

Sounds like you are doing everything right to me

Relax and enjoy and let the little ones enjoy having fun

Angel xx

jess
12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Like everyone else said just let them play! as long as theyve got lots of toys lying around theyll be happy and learning.

Just wondered, I will be having a 15mo , 7mo and 9mo together for 1 morning a week, how do you get yours around!? I dont drive as part of childminding so will need to use double (apex twin)+ something else? cant be a buggy board as 15mo doesnt walk yet, what do you think? We dont have to go out as will only be for 3 hrs and no school runs at this time etc, but you never know!

Sorry to invade your thread with another question!:blush:

angiemog
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Like everyone else said just let them play! as long as theyve got lots of toys lying around theyll be happy and learning.

Just wondered, I will be having a 15mo , 7mo and 9mo together for 1 morning a week, how do you get yours around!? I dont drive as part of childminding so will need to use double (apex twin)+ something else? cant be a buggy board as 15mo doesnt walk yet, what do you think? We dont have to go out as will only be for 3 hrs and no school runs at this time etc, but you never know!

Sorry to invade your thread with another question!:blush:

No prob, I am too wondering how it will be as I haven't started having the 8 month old yet. I have thought about triple buggies, buggy board, sling.... at present I'm thinking if I go out then I will get a sling for the youngest. Someone on here recommended the sling. Other than that reins for the 15month old and only go short distances. As it is only for one morning if you want to go out then I would recommend the sling. Some of them you can use up til they are about 2yrs. Good Luck xx

mandawills
12-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I mind for a 20mth old and a 12mth old and my own son of 2 years and they are never happier than when they play with everyday (safe) kitchen items, such as saucepans, plastic bowls & plates, wooden spoons, rolling pins, potato masher, plastic cups & jugs etc. I empty a pack of cheap breakfast cereal onto a tray and let them use the equipment to scoop, mash, crunch and pour the cereal. It keeps them occupied for ages and is great for observations as it covers so many areas of learning. They seem to prefer to use real size objects rather than "toy teasets" so i just buy cheaply from pound stores etc so I don't have to use my own cooking ones.
Another thing that they love is making a noise so I filled some small empty plastic bottles with pasta, lentils, rice etc. A really cheap idea but they love walking around shaking the bottles and exploring which sound is made by which bottle.
Hope these ideas help,
Amanda

singlewiththree
12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Those are some fantastic ideas Amanda, especially when you have a little one who insists everything is eaten the cereal is much safer than pasta and rice!