PDA

View Full Version : Earring

Pipsqueak
11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Whats the opinion on a 2 yr old who has fairly hooped earrings with the safety catches.

Mentioned to mum about it today as I am not overly happy about it and even before I said earrings mum knew what I was going to say. Told me she has tried studs and they just keep falling out. Child has worn the hoops for 2 years (she is 2!!!) and she has never had an accident according to mum.
I explained to mum we are a very active setting, lots of climbing, walking in woods etc and tbh it worries it me that they are going to get caught when she is playing or playing with the others.

As I say they are not the slide in type of hoops they have the funny little catch at the back and the earring wouldn't just pop out if they were caught - I have snagged a hooped earring like that and it blo*dy hurt and bled loads.

Mum told me point blank that she won't take them out so I said i will have to check with my insurance, said I was happy for her to wear studs but mum has said no way.

Am i being daft here!

sweets
11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
OMG thats terrible, a 2 year old with pierced ears:eek:

I don't know what i would do in your shoes really! sorry

LOOPYLISA
11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
One of my pet hates seeing babies with earings :panic:

Sorry can't help x

TheBTeam
11-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't think you are being daft at all, personally i wouldn't have a childs ears pierced so young, or at the very least use studs, but i dont know what you can do about a parent who doesn't feel the same.

Do you think you could put plaster tape over them a bit like they do for football matches/sports etc?

Pipsqueak
11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
the other thing is that she isn't particuarly stable on her feet either.

I don't mind the pierced ears but I really don't like the type of hoop with the safety catch, even if they were the slide in and out hoops that release easily would be better.

Its worrying me a little in case she catches them and rips or damages her ear (and the resulting blame). I have noted down conversation with mum about it so at least I could prove I broached the subject.

Pipsqueak
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't think you are being daft at all, personally i wouldn't have a childs ears pierced so young, or at the very least use studs, but i dont know what you can do about a parent who doesn't feel the same.

Do you think you could put plaster tape over them a bit like they do for football matches/sports etc?

not sure how I could as the hoops are really quite large

I know school and nursery (sons school) has a policy of studs only but I have never had to tackle this before so its new territory and I can't make the mum take the earrings out can I

rickysmiths
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
She is in for a rude awakening when the child goes to school. :panic: I'm afraid like you insurance or not I would not let the child where them in my setting for safety reasons. What if another child grabbed them? Ouch!

Pipsqueak
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
She is in for a rude awakening when the child goes to school. :panic: I'm afraid like you insurance or not I would not let the child where them in my setting for safety reasons. What if another child grabbed them? Ouch!

thats the funny bit - her 6yr old wears studs to school because she knows she's not allowed to.

so c'mon how do i tackle this please

TheBTeam
11-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I think you need to say to her that the school have this policy in place for a reason, and with the age of children in your care you feel that you must place this restriction on her for her younger child in your care, reiterate that you would hate anything to happen and given the age of the children in your care a simple move of the hand could rip her earring out, and just how bad everyone would feel over something that could be avoided if she were to wear studs like her sister.

sweets
11-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I think you need to say to her that the school have this policy in place for a reason, and with the age of children in your care you feel that you must place this restriction on her for her younger child in your care, reiterate that you would hate anything to happen and given the age of the children in your care a simple move of the hand could rip her earring out, and just how bad everyone would feel over something that could be avoided if she were to wear studs like her sister.

agreed tell mum its the schoolrules for safety and its your too!

rickysmiths
11-09-2009, 08:55 PM
thats the funny bit - her 6yr old wears studs to school because she knows she's not allowed to.

so c'mon how do i tackle this please

Omg! Maybe you have to press the buttons on the school reasons (I'm sure its Health and Safety) and say you and she will be uninsured. If she still insists say you will have to tape them up.

I think I would definately have a serious converstion with the insurance company on Monday to see what they say with regard to any accidents.

Would it be worth asking at school how they approach a matter of this sort they may be able to help.

cabby
11-09-2009, 08:55 PM
when my brother was a baby he ripped a stud out my ear, cant really remember how it felt, but my mum said i screamed for days:D

daisyboo1980
11-09-2009, 08:56 PM
i would ask her to get smaller hoops if she doesnt want her to wear studs and ask her to get the ones with out the safety catch. i no not everyone agrees with children getting ears pierced i no it can be a cultural thing my partners families children have theirs done and their african/portuguese, we are in discussion if we where to have children as im not sure i agree
sorry not much help didnt want to read and run

clorogue
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Difficult one - earing policy could be on the cards?

Last October I had my older daughter's ears pierced, I knew she could according to the school(she's11). The policy of the school was to allow it but for tape to be over it whilst doing PE. Would you believe that the week after she had them done, they employed an outside teacher (company) to do PE and he had just been on a course (Health and Safety) and said that no child was allowed to wear earings at all during PE as a child had died as the stem had gone into the artery in the neck. So I was in a dilemma, I approached the school as I was so concerned over my daughter as the earings had to be left in for 6 weeks. We managed to get around it (she wasn't allowed to do PE for the next 4 weeks but was still involved in it). Then the policy came out and I had my second daughter's ears done at the beginning of the summer holidays, this allowed her only this week to take her earings out which she managed fine and do PE.

The more and more I think about it I really do think an earing policy for us childminders would be a very good idea. What does anyone else think? This really is a hazard and to do with Health and Safety.

:idea:

angeldelight
11-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Why in the first place would she want her daughter to wear them - it beats me

Are you going to call your insurance or have you already Pip?

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
i am going to call them (or email them would probably be better) to see where I stand.

PixiePetal
12-09-2009, 06:55 AM
I must have a policy I can add a line to, will have a look :)

Don't fancy having to deal with ripped ears. :panic:

flora
12-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Sorry Pip, but I would just say NO.

I know as parents we have the right to choose all sorts of thing about our kids, but when it compromises safety then I think you can step in.

I would say no earrings at that age at all. I just don't think they are safe :panic:

If you feel happy with studs offer that as a compromise. White lie all you like to get you own way re insurance etc.

I think in this case the end justifys the means :blush:

Hebs
12-09-2009, 07:42 AM
my 2 year old mindee has hoop ear rings in, she's had her ears pierced since she was 10 months old,

i've told mum that from next week i need studs in as i will have a house full of kids, she was fine about it.

if shes had ear rings in for 2 years she can safely take them out for the day :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
12-09-2009, 07:44 AM
thank you everyone - I feel vindicated in feeling uncomfortable with it. I will speak to the insurers next week and get their advice (and let you know what they say) and then talk to the mum

LOOPYLISA
12-09-2009, 07:46 AM
my 2 year old mindee has hoop ear rings in, she's had her ears pierced since she was 10 months old,

i've told mum that from next week i need studs in as i will have a house full of kids, she was fine about it.

if shes had ear rings in for 2 years she can safely take them out for the day :thumbsup:

10 months :eek:

FussyElmo
12-09-2009, 07:56 AM
Must admit Im on the side of babies with earrings in :eek: . There is a child at our toddlers who has studs in and one day she came by my dd who was about 9 months who liked the sparkly earring. Poor child screamed when dd got it and pulled - no harm done but could have been.

Our school refuses to get chidren wear earrings regardless of age!!!! My eldest dd had hers done about 2 years ago at the start of the summer holidays and I would take them out before school and after school. Well shes a bit scqueamish and wouldnt do it herself. A year I had youngest dd on the sunday night about the friday I realised I hadnt taken her earrings out and she said oh less there is a problem school have said so. The back of the earing had gone into the hole (only a small stud) and healed over - well my dh managed to get it out with a needle. DD wont have her ears done again!!!!

Hebs
12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
10 months :eek:

yes but tbh i think it's better to get them done early rather than later as they dont remember the pain :thumbsup: do disagree with hoops full stop i hate them and my daughter is NOT allowed a pair :panic:

mindee (who is also my god daughter) slept through the first one, then was sitting eating chocolate buttons for the second one :laughing:

she never cried, yet my daughter got hers done at 8 (or was it 9??) years old and she screamed the place down :blush:

also dont forget for some religions it's very common and done within days of the birth :thumbsup:

sweets
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM
sorry but i think its mutilation and shouldn't be allowed till at least 12! when they can decide for themselves if they want it done or not. culture or no culture!

Chatterbox Childcare
12-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Okay what we think doesn't come into it.

Logically and business sense says check with the insurance company and get mum to sign a letter saying that the child must wear these and she won't change. That way you are covered.

sweets
12-09-2009, 08:30 AM
sorry but i think its mutilation and shouldn't be allowed till at least 12! when they can decide for themselves if they want it done or not. culture or no culture!

oops! sorry just re read my post, didn't mean to sound so full on:blush: :blush: i meant it just for babies really! personally i think children should wait till about 12 but i don't think there is anything wrong with 9 or 10's having it done if parents agree.

LOOPYLISA
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
yes but tbh i think it's better to get them done early rather than later as they dont remember the pain :thumbsup: do disagree with hoops full stop i hate them and my daughter is NOT allowed a pair :panic:

mindee (who is also my god daughter) slept through the first one, then was sitting eating chocolate buttons for the second one :laughing:

she never cried, yet my daughter got hers done at 8 (or was it 9??) years old and she screamed the place down :blush:

also dont forget for some religions it's very common and done within days of the birth :thumbsup:

Sorry still dead against it :thumbsup:

little chickee
12-09-2009, 12:56 PM
If the mum will not take out or change the earings i would just have to go along with that but get her to sign a disclaimer that if the child gets an earring related injury then it is nothing to do with you and this type of injury is not covered by your insurance - on her head be it.

The Juggler
12-09-2009, 01:36 PM

I agree. doesn't really matter if they sleep through or remember the pain, it's more about do they want to have it done. surely they can't make this choice until they are 7 or 8 at least. by that age they might ask to have it done, you wouldn't just tell them they are having it done, and then you can discuss that it will hurt, might be sore after etc.

Paws
12-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I agree. doesn't really matter if they sleep through or remember the pain, it's more about do they want to have it done. surely they can't make this choice until they are 7 or 8 at least. by that age they might ask to have it done, you wouldn't just tell them they are having it done, and then you can discuss that it will hurt, might be sore after etc.

Absolutely. I feel very strongly about this and think that 'mutilation' is too kind a word. Painfully inflicting permantent holes into any part of a babys/smal childs anatomy should be classed as child abused (IMO).

little chickee
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't think the issue here is wheter or not we agree or disagree with piercing childrens ears but as to wheter we can allow children in our care to wear potentially hazardous hooped earings.

Pipsqueak was asking if she should ask the parent to take out or change the earings to studs whilst in her care - what the parent choses to do when her child is with her is immaterial.

Hebs
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Absolutely. I feel very strongly about this and think that 'mutilation' is too kind a word. Painfully inflicting permantent holes into any part of a babys/smal childs anatomy should be classed as child abused (IMO).

if it were that bad then there would be age limits, like tattoo's :thumbsup:

cos unlike a tattoo an ear ring can be removed with little or no scaring :)

I would tell mum it has to be a stud or no ear ring for health and safety reasons xx

little chickee
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM

i also think that to class piercing a childs ears as child abuse really is going a bit too far. BTW i have 3 boys none of which have pierced ears so im am not just trying to defend myself.

The Juggler
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Maybe not mutilation but it's just I would like to think a child had chosen to have holes put in her ears rather than a parent deciding for her. Having said that I have had several children with pierced ears and I haven't judged them or treated the parents differently. It's just my opinion.

Anyway you're right, the issue here is not whether parents should be allowed to pierce their child's ears it's what should be done in this situation. We all got off track a bit.:o

I would definately put my foot down and say studs or nothing due to accidents.

LOL

Mollymop
12-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Juat want to say that i don't like to see kids under the age of 5 with earrings in especially boys - it really doesn't suit them, or is it fashionable for men to wear earrings anymore, so why do parents do it? Ok if a child has asked and wants them - but you see babies as young as 12 months with earings in and some with big gold chains round there necks! Poor little ones:(

LOOPYLISA
12-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Juat want to say that i don't like to see kids under the age of 5 with earrings in especially boys - it really doesn't suit them, or is it fashionable for men to wear earrings anymore, so why do parents do it? Ok if a child has asked and wants them - but you see babies as young as 12 months with earings in and some with big gold chains round there necks! Poor little ones:(

I don't like boys/men with earing either :panic: